LegacyGT.com

2011 Kia Optima most loaded car in its class?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2WD + Automatic Tranmission = I don't give a @#*%

:confused::confused::confused:

Uhhh....... Honda Pilot?

The Pilot employs a four-wheel drive system called Variable Torque Management 4WD (VTM-4). The VTM-4 system delivers power to all four wheels under acceleration and when wheel slippage is detected. The VTM-4 system has a dashboard switch that locks both rear half-shafts to get the driver unstuck, but it operates in just first, second, and reverse gears, and unlocks at 18 mph (29 km/h). Otherwise, the system operates primarily in front-wheel drive and sends torque to the rear wheels when spin is detected up front. Two wheel drive models have been available since 2006.

;)

You cant tell me that..... "Yes thats a very good looking car." Did anyone look at the wheels and even the front end of that car? The front is a mix of the new VW GTI and Civic that afterwards got beat with the ugly stick for two hours.

My problem with KIA/Hyundai is this. People who buy KIA or Hyundai are people who aren't very interested in cars. All they want is a car to get from point A to point B which we all need to understand is a still a large market. To prove my point Ill use an example. If someone isn't very interested in basketball they wont try hard and will not practice. If someone has no interest in playing the guitar; they wont be very good. People who dont care about driving wont be very good at driving and in term will buy a KIA or Hyundai because on paper its a hell of a deal.

No person who considers themselves a car guys will ever buy a KIA or Hyundai and brag about it

Rant over

Your analogy is a little off. If I don't like basketball then I just don't play basketball. It's not as though I need to play basketball or the guitar to make it through life. If I don't give a rip about cars, it is unlikely that I don't need to commute or travel and therefore for most people, a car is a necessity. There are plenty of "enthusiasts" that own Hyundais and Kias.

I'd like to see what the engine can do, but I won't hold my breath. Good value maybe,If nothing else, it may give birth to an entirely new breed of ricers. Picture it, 10 years from now every one of these you see on the road will have paint chips flying off, Frankenstein fit body kits, gigantic spoilers, and "KIA VTEC DAUWOUG" stickers.

Korea. The next Asian superpower.

They are doing what Japan did. Just 20 years later.

I'd buy several models that Hyundai has to offer now. The Genesis coupe and sedan

are great, their SUV offerings are impressive, and their new Sonata looks awesome.

It just took a fancy new designer to get them up to par in the style department.

being a car guy doesn't mean you have to buy the car with the biggest engine.

i love my 2.5i and i consider myself a car guy. I did opt for the 6 speed transmission over the CVT. I also prefer to drive with the radio off to listen to the engine.

just because i can't afford a turbo doesn't mean i like cars less than the guy with a bigger paycheck.

not buying this. if you could afford a brand new legacy premium, than (per edmunds) you could afford a mini cooper, an mx-5, a cobalt ss, a civic si or a 305 hp mustang, and likely were within striking distance of a genesis 2.0t, a gti, a c30 or a mazdaspeed3.

if we expand the list to pre-owned or still-on-the-lot 2009 models, then a g8, wrx, ralliart, v6 nissan, v8 hemi's, and others come into play.

a car guy would have purchased any of these before a 2.5i

And someone buying an ounce of cocaine could instead use that money to buy a 50" plasma HDTV.....

But they're addicted.

http://himni-racing.com/images/subaru%20logo.jpg

And for all those wondering, yes I did just compare a Subaru to an ounce of coke..... So what? :lol:

If that's what they wanted, then yes.

To say someone isn't a "Car Guy" because he didn't choose the same car you would have chosen is just a bit ignorant. I strongly dislike the brand new Civic Si, but I know a guy at work with one who's very much a "Car Guy", and I'm not going to deny him that label just because he drives something I wouldn't drive.

Maybe that guy who got the brand new 2.5i was tired of buying used cars? Maybe he wanted a larger car than the WRX with better gas mileage, but was still intrigued by the AWD, longitudinally mounted boxer engine layout. That would make him a "Car Guy." Or maybe he didn't like the looks of the WRX. Maybe he just didn't want a WRX, ever think of that? There are plenty of people every day who could afford excellent used Audi's or BMW's, who are tired of dealing with a used car so they buy brand new Legacy, Camry, or Accord. They want something new, so they're willing to spend their money for something you see as a bad value. Not everyone needs a turbo to be happy, or to be considered a "Car Guy."

There isn't an official authority on who decides what cars are "Car Guy" models. There are plenty of morons driving Porsche's, and plenty of "Car Guys" driving Toyota's.

/\ That's me in a nutshell. I could have had a 2006 STi but I just felt awkward with boy racer aesthetics in the line of work I do.

I understand this logic because as a self-described "car guy", I still only had access to absolute crap cars. I owned a 1995 dodge intrepid with more rust than paint, a tired ass engine, bald all season tires, and completely destroyed seats. Before that I had a 1987 Chevy s-10 with flintstone break systems and a 3rd party (read, thief) installed moonroof. And I loved those cars. Not because of what they could (read, couldn't) do, but because I loved working on them.

Fortunately, I held out on my first BIG car purchase and walked away with everything I wanted in a car. Others might not be so lucky and may have to compromise.

That being said, I still wouldn't buy it.

To say someone isn't a "Car Guy" because he didn't choose the same car you would have chosen is just a bit ignorant. I strongly dislike the brand new Civic Si, but I know a guy at work with one who's very much a "Car Guy", and I'm not going to deny him that label just because he drives something I wouldn't drive.

Maybe that guy who got the brand new 2.5i was tired of buying used cars? Maybe he wanted a larger car than the WRX with better gas mileage, but was still intrigued by the AWD, longitudinally mounted boxer engine layout. That would make him a "Car Guy." Or maybe he didn't like the looks of the WRX. Maybe he just didn't want a WRX, ever think of that? There are plenty of people every day who could afford excellent used Audi's or BMW's, who are tired of dealing with a used car so they buy brand new Legacy, Camry, or Accord. They want something new, so they're willing to spend their money for something you see as a bad value. Not everyone needs a turbo to be happy, or to be considered a "Car Guy."

There isn't an official authority on who decides what cars are "Car Guy" models. There are plenty of morons driving Porsche's, and plenty of "Car Guys" driving Toyota's.

This guy gets it.

just as you wanted to live in rowley, massachusetts. enjoy your '92 "EJ22" legacy, fine sir. i'm out.

I wasn't trying to attack you, or put you on the defensive. I was just pointing out what you seemed to be missing. All I meant to say is that this gentleman could've most likely afforded the Legacy GT, or an STi if he wanted one, but with more car comes more everything. More insurance, more tax, more fuel, more power, higher payments if financed, ect. Not everybody needs the top model vehicle. For example, I'd rather buy an old F150 with a 4.9 straight 6 before I'd buy one with the 302 V8 because, as a car guy, I like the 4.9 engine more than the 302. Sometimes more is less, especially if you're not in the market for more.

And since you mention it, I am quite happy here in Rowley MA. Not a lot of people, just the right amount of land behind my house (2/3 acre, not to big to maintain, not to small to be useless), inexpensive utility rates, and only 2 traffic lights in the whole town. I think I'll also enjoy my rusty old Subaru, and my 13 year old Pathfinder while I'm at it. For the record I could've bought a better car than the Pathfinder when I did, but I didn't. I'd rather not be paying car payments out the ass with full coverage on my insurance because I bought more car than I could afford. The Subaru (When I bought it) was literally just for transportation after I got my license back. I don't care that its slow, or that its rusty, or that some of the features no longer work. Mostly, I keep it on the road because I like it, and it passes inspection because a "Car Guy" like me is always keeping it well-maintained. If I wanted to buy a sexy car I would've, but I don't need to drive a mobile-leg-spreader like a Spec B to feel good about myself, of to be considered a "Car Guy".

And you can talk smack about me, my lifestyle, and my house all you want, but there's nothing wrong with the EJ22. Chances are you'll have replaced the head gaskets in your car three times and burned through 4 turbos by the time my EJ22 needs a rebuild, so don't go there please. ;) ;)

SX Premium Package

- Panoramic sunroof with gloss black B-pillar

- Power front passenger's seat

- Memory settings (2) for driver's seat

- Heated and cooled front seats

- Heated rear seats

The car also get the UVO system from Microsoft...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzVhjSEpjQI]YouTube- ‪KIA UVO HD.wmv‬‎[/ame]

Btw... I have to disagree with most of you folks here. The 2011 Optima looks quite impressive.

Here is a full preview of a fully optioned out model:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbCGkErVSJw]YouTube- ‪2011 Kia Optima In The Wild‬‎[/ame]

$29K MSRP for

274 hp, paddle shifters, leather interior, navigation with UVO system, 8 speaker 500W Infinity sound system, heated and cooled leather seating, heated rear seats, panoramic sunroof, backup camera, etc etc...

That's a lot of features for that price.

Btw... I have to disagree with most of you folks here. The 2011 Optima looks quite impressive.

Here is a full preview of a fully optioned out model:

$29K MSRP for

274 hp, paddle shifters, leather interior, navigation with UVO system, 8 speaker 500W Infinity sound system, heated and cooled leather seating, heated rear seats, panoramic sunroof, backup camera, etc etc...

That's a lot of features for that price.

IF the Optima is reliable, durable, agile, with ride refinement and a rattle free interior, it will certainly make the TSX V6 seem less interesting for those not hung up on name.

I like it. I think once it hits the street, its going to win over quite a few people.

Is this to fill the void of full-size model in their fleet? Or is it remaining midsize?

Not sure, looks a bit large. To be honest, it's perfect for someone who wants a new car, and wants luxury car features but can barely afford something at half the price. They'd have a 10 year warranty 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, 5-year / 60,000 mile limited basic warranty, 6 speed automatic with paddle shifters, 274hp and 269 lb ft of toque from a 3169lb FWD car, front memory leather seats with heated and cooled front seat controls, dual zone climate control, heated rear seats, 500W Infinity 8-speaker sound system, Navigation with Microsoft UVO, USB and Audio jacks, Panoramic sunroof that opens, aluminum and leather dash trim, leather seating, backup camera, power adjustable pedals, and a manual rear window sunshade.

With all that, it's $29K MSRP. I'm sure you can walk out the door with that for $2K-$3K less easily.

Picture of it...

http://i34.tinypic.com/acvlag.jpg

Archived