LegacyGT.com

2011 Kia Optima most loaded car in its class?

The 2011 Kia Optima with every option under the sun clocks in at $30,495. Not a bad deal with all the options included.

Hell, it is so well specced it makes me wonder why anyone would get a TSX

2.0L 274HP GDI turbo 4-cyl, 269 lbs

6 speed automatic transmission with Sportmatic

MacPherson® strut front suspension with Multi-link rear suspension

Dual-zone automatic temperature

Keyless entry and alarm

Push button start with smart key and engine immobilizer

225/45R18 tires

Side mirror markers

Heated outside mirrors

HID head lights w/auto leveling

LED rear combination lights

Panoramic sunroof with gloss black B-pillar

Power front passenger's seat

Memory settings (2) for driver's seat

Heated and cooled front seats

Heated rear seats

Navigation system

Infinity™ surround sound audio system and speakers (8)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/04/optimaext03.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/04/optimaext04.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/04/optimaint01.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leave it to the Koreans.

Come to think of it, my 01 Elantra had good features for its time, but it was the reliability that did it in.

This new breed of Hyundai/KIA vehicles that they're coming out with seem light years away from what they used to be though. They've been taking on Japan and Europe and doing pretty well for themselves lately.

Could you imagine 10 years ago if someone told you that Hyundai would make a luxury car that rivaled BMW and Mercedes in almost every way? What if they said Hyundai would make a car that's about as fast as the modern day muscle cars? Or if they said that they would be going straight passed Honda and Toyota to do battle directly with Acura and Lexus in the midsize segment?

I also heard rumors that a large SUV or truck about the size of a Bronco was in the works with a larger displacement version of their Tau V8 weighing in at about 5.4L.

They've been busy little beavers haven't they?

Leave it to the Koreans.

Come to think of it, my 01 Elantra had good features for its time, but it was the reliability that did it in.

This new breed of Hyundai/KIA vehicles that they're coming out with seem light years away from what they used to be though. They've been taking on Japan and Europe and doing pretty well for themselves lately.

Could you imagine 10 years ago if someone told you that Hyundai would make a luxury car that rivaled BMW and Mercedes in almost every way? What if they said Hyundai would make a car that's about as fast as the modern day muscle cars? Or if they said that they would be going straight passed Honda and Toyota to do battle directly with Acura and Lexus in the midsize segment?

I also heard rumors that a large SUV or truck about the size of a Bronco was in the works with a larger displacement version of their Tau V8 weighing in at about 5.4L.

They've been busy little beavers haven't they?

Korea is the new Japan.

The sales numbers will determine if we really seeing the rise of Korea.

Based purely from a aesthetics, and technical aspect, I'd take the Optima over the Altima, Accord, Camry, Legacy and Mazda6. The reliability is still unknown though

Those seats look terrible.

What it boils down to, for me, is how the car feels. On paper, everything can be great, but until you drive it you have no idea.

This thing looks OK, but the proof is in the pudding.

Plus, it isn't AWD.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The 2011 Kia

This is the part where I became disinterested. ;)

I'll give credit where credit is due though, Kia and Hyundai make it where it counts, at that is initial value. The again, if you were going to buy a BMW or Merc or Lexus to begin with, bang for your buck probably wasn't a major concern for you anyway.

Edit: pictures just loaded for me. Been having problems on my work network. The interior makes me want to barf in all sorts of ways. It looks like the center console was square before someone took a bat to it.

You cant tell me that..... "Yes thats a very good looking car." Did anyone look at the wheels and even the front end of that car? The front is a mix of the new VW GTI and Civic that afterwards got beat with the ugly stick for two hours.

My problem with KIA/Hyundai is this. People who buy KIA or Hyundai are people who aren't very interested in cars. All they want is a car to get from point A to point B which we all need to understand is a still a large market. To prove my point Ill use an example. If someone isn't very interested in basketball they wont try hard and will not practice. If someone has no interest in playing the guitar; they wont be very good. People who dont care about driving wont be very good at driving and in term will buy a KIA or Hyundai because on paper its a hell of a deal.

No person who considers themselves a car guys will ever buy a KIA or Hyundai and brag about it

Rant over

I disagree. The Genesis has been a smash hit. You can fit massive tires under the fenders, and you can make a ton of power. The Genesis breaks the traditional mold, IMO.

That said, I didn't notice the price the first time through.

$30k for a Kia? GTFO.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

My problem with KIA/Hyundai is this. People who buy KIA or Hyundai are people who aren't very interested in cars. All they want is a car to get from point A to point B which we all need to understand is a still a large market. To prove my point Ill use an example. If someone isn't very interested in basketball they wont try hard and will not practice. If someone has no interest in playing the guitar; they wont be very good. People who dont care about driving wont be very good at driving and in term will buy a KIA or Hyundai because on paper its a hell of a deal.

No person who considers themselves a car guys will ever buy a KIA or Hyundai and brag about it

Rant over

This is fail in so many ways, i was going to write up a big post about toyota drivers, honda drivers, the majority of BMW drivers, etc. but i don't want to take the time.

I think to most people a car is just to get from point A to point B it just depends on your paycheck and how stylish and prestigious you want to be that determine the name on the badge.

I do think the Hyundai genesis coupe is a car guys car

Want to die a little on the inside then?

http://www.streetkiaz.com/

Gasp :eek:

This is fail in so many ways, i was going to write up a big post about toyota drivers, honda drivers, the majority of BMW drivers, etc. but i don't want to take the time.

I think to most people a car is just to get from point A to point B it just depends on your paycheck and how stylish and prestigious you want to be that determine the name on the badge.

I do think the Hyundai genesis coupe is a car guys car

Now thats a little harsh

i guess that was a bit harsh, sorry for that.

it's just that most people on the road are clueless about their cars and don't enjoy the act of driving regardless of what the badge on the car says.

so when you said that you have a problem with hyundai/kia drivers who aren't very interested in cars, it's not just hyundai/kia drivers, it's drivers of every brand of car.

I think hyundai and kia are actually making huge improvements style and performance.

I'm not a personal fan of this Kia, but interesting to note that the 2010 Hundai Genesis coupe 3.8 will beat the 2010 Camaro RS and the Challenger SE in many performance catgories.

The "car guys" in their Camaros and Challengers better watch out! :eek:

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

I'm not a personal fan of this Kia, but interesting to note that the 2010 Hundai Genesis coupe 3.8 will beat the 2010 Camaro RS and the Challenger SE in many performance catgories.

The "car guys" in their Camaros and Challengers better watch out! :eek:

Isn't this a little apples to oranges? The top-of-the-line Genesis, which in it's own right is a very decent car, compared to the SE and RS?

I'm not sure a "car guy" would get an SE or RS either. Would an enthusiast get a 2.5i instead of the GT?

I'm not sure a "car guy" would get an SE or RS either. Would an enthusiast get a 2.5i instead of the GT?

being a car guy doesn't mean you have to buy the car with the biggest engine.

i love my 2.5i and i consider myself a car guy. I did opt for the 6 speed transmission over the CVT. I also prefer to drive with the radio off to listen to the engine.

just because i can't afford a turbo doesn't mean i like cars less than the guy with a bigger paycheck.

being a car guy doesn't mean you have to buy the car with the biggest engine.

i love my 2.5i and i consider myself a car guy. I did opt for the 6 speed transmission over the CVT. I also prefer to drive with the radio off to listen to the engine.

just because i can't afford a turbo doesn't mean i like cars less than the guy with a bigger paycheck.

point taken. foot meet mouth.

I must not be a car guy then because I've been recommending Kia and Hyundai to family members for years. If I didn't have $10k in mods in my car I'd probably have traded it for a Genesis coupe. People can laugh about Hyundai/Kia's "derivative" styling all they want. Pretty much all the automakers make similar looking cars in each category.

My parents' Azera has more usable room than the Grand Marquis it replaced and is just as quick as the Lincoln Mark VIII they had. It gets 27 mpg highway and has been perfectly reliable for the past 4 years, and there's 6 more years of powertrain warranty remaining. My uncle traded his Lexus RX330 for a Genesis 4.6 sedan and loves it. My grandparents plan to ditch their LS460 for the new Equus this fall. Hyundai's v8 hasn't been recalled to have all the valvesprings replaced...

Don't forget the Kia Sorrento -- it does for small SUVs what the Optima does for midsize sedans. Plenty of power and features for $5-10k less than competitors.

$30k for a Kia? GTFO.

Yeah, I mean, it offers everything the other automakers do in the $40k+ range but having that badge means it should have a price cap at $23k. :rolleyes:

Luxury cars aren't automatically great either. My grandparents LS460 was $80k. It's already had the audio amplifier replaced after it failed during a trip and blasted them with loud static (no way to turn it off or down) as they made their way to the nearest dealership. Now it's under recall to have the valvesprings replaced. That means removing the engine, breaking down the heads, and putting it all back into the car. What's that L badge doing for them so far?

My brother has a Mercedes CL65 AMG, all $192k of it. It barfed the water pump at 23k miles. That's on a car with a hand-built engine. It was warrantied (including the flatbed to the dealer) but it proves that being a luxury brand means squat. Oh, and what is he planning to replace his 4Runner with? A Kia!

Isn't this a little apples to oranges? The top-of-the-line Genesis, which in it's own right is a very decent car, compared to the SE and RS?

As far as prices go, these 3 are comparable.

It wouldn't be fair to compare the Genesis to the Mustang GT or the Challenger SRT8 (base price of the SRT8 is 15k more than the Hyuandai)...

Many "car guys" or enthusiasts will buy Mustangs, Challengers and Legacys in the less expensive trims.

The way things are going for the Koreans, I wouldn't be surprised if my next new car purchase (2 years away) was a Kia / Hyundai.

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

IMO, Hyundai/Kia has been kicking butt lately. Their 2.0 direct injection turbo is an amazing blend of fuel efficiency and power (22/34 mpg in the 2011 Sonata and 2011 Optima). I can't wait until that engine makes its way into the RWD Genesis coupe and sedan. :wub:

Also, I think the Kia Forte is great looking in all of its iterations, sedan, Koup, and the upcoming 2011 5-door, which looks to me like a modern FWD interpretation of a Lancia Delta Integrale. :wub:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/06/forte-5-door630.jpg

Yeah, I mean, it offers everything the other automakers do in the $40k+ range but having that badge means it should have a price cap at $23k. :rolleyes:

Chances are if the average consumer was going to spend $30k on a car they wouldn't opt for something like this. Not saying it's right, not saying it's justified, but consumer trends do indicate that. There are more CPO BMW's sold in that price segment than there are new Kia's or Hyundai's.

Chances are if the average consumer was going to spend $30k on a car they wouldn't opt for something like this. Not saying it's right, not saying it's justified, but consumer trends do indicate that. There are more CPO BMW's sold in that price segment than there are new Kia's or Hyundai's.

It's always better to offer more options than less because there are people that would rather have a new car will all the goodies, than a used stripped 325i

I disagree. The Genesis has been a smash hit. You can fit massive tires under the fenders, and you can make a ton of power. The Genesis breaks the traditional mold, IMO.

$30k for a Kia? GTFO.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTlC5JeJnno]YouTube- Hyundai Genesis V8 Custom Exhaust[/ame]

Archived