LegacyGT.com

sticky power window switch

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I thought that I had a sticky switch, WRONG! After ordering and installing a new switch (like an idiot!) my window does not go down! HELP!!!!

Measure the voltage coming from the power window motor plug. It should get voltage (either positive or negative depending on up or down) when you move the switch. If the motor's getting power, but not moving, then it's probably toast. My power window motor went out and I replaced it. Now it works. Also you can try jumping power to the window motor to see if it moves.

• 2 months later...
My original driver's master window switch finally crapped out today. It has been sticking for a couple of years and finally the auto-down on the driver's window went out- had to carefully set the switch in the neutral position after rolling the window up or down. I went to the local dealer and picked up a new part for about $120 with the NASIOC discount. They had them in stock (I wonder why... maybe because they're replacing a lot of them?) The install took about twenty minutes-- most of the time figuring out how to remove the trim pieces and door panel. The part number is 83071AG05B. This thing is a real POS-- they could do a lot better.

Add me to the list as well. Tried lowering my driver side window on my way to work this morning and I thought I had finally broken the switch because I couldn't get it to depress down. Should of had the dealership replace it when I bought it.

• 1 month later...

Mine has stuck since I bought new in '05, it finally broke and barely works. Going to replace the switch...does anyone know if you have to take the whole door panel off to replace the switch or does it pop out of the door with a screwdriver? (05' GT limited drivers side master switch)

Thanks for the help!

Mine has stuck since I bought new in '05, it finally broke and barely works. Going to replace the switch...does anyone know if you have to take the whole door panel off to replace the switch or does it pop out of the door with a screwdriver? (05' GT limited drivers side master switch)

Thanks for the help!

I want to recall that someplace within this thread, there are pictures, or at least a descrption of someone replacing the switch.

In my case, I bit of WD-40 solved the problem, for now. Probably going on 2 - 3 years.

I am a victim of the dreaded Sticky Switch also. The first day I test drove the car and it worked fine. On the way back home I pull up to the toll booth and the damn thing won't roll the window down. So I had to take my seatbelt off and open the door to grab the ticket.... And then 2 mins later it rolled down by itself lol

Another victim of the sticky switch. I'm going to spray some WD-40 on that and call it a day.

Twice in 2 years the drivers window has refused to even work, but turning the car off then back on again remedies that.

dude i got pulled over the other day and it stuck:eek:

i always roll all my tinted windows down so they know i'm not riding dirty but this woman cop checked me out super hard and then let me go with a warning ....damn window switch

I have the window switches from an 08STI sitting around, they may be a replacement, but if I remember correctly, there is some minor difference that prevented me from swapping it. There seem to be no posts from 07+ owners, and few posts from 06 owners, has anybody checked to see if there was a mid year part # swap, how about the folks that got the replacement part, have there been any similar problems with the new switch setup? Another PM to Fred Beans?

the "fix" was mentioned previously in the thread, twice

post 10

and with pictures

post 65

it is pretty funny, this thread is so old, the guy i bought my car from 18 months ago, posted in this thread about the problem with the car 3 years ago, now the problem is mine to fix :D

• I Donated
On the way back home I pull up to the toll booth and the damn thing won't roll the window down. So I had to take my seatbelt off and open the door to grab the ticket.... And then 2 mins later it rolled down by itself lol

Twice in 2 years the drivers window has refused to even work, but turning the car off then back on again remedies that.

dude i got pulled over the other day and it stuck:eek:

This is due to the switch getting stuck in the "up" position. If it is in that position too long, a circuit breaker trips and you can't trigger the window motor. The circuit breaker is reset when the car is turned off.

• 3 weeks later...

THANK YOU FORUM.....fixed the problem!!!!!

Everything was straight forward but I do have a couple comments/hints:

1) The door panel clips on the outside are pretty easy to remove but there is a larger one in the middle right behind the door handle (red color) that was a challenge to find. Once I got the confidence to just yank it off it was fine. I found this link which shows all clip locations:

http://www.justanswer.com/subaru/47d6c-2005-legacy-power-windows-fuses-are-front-window-lock-button.html

2) Once you have removed the cosmetic handle to expose the two door panel screws, you need to find the third which is hiding behind a sort of hidden panel behind the door latch. If you look closely you will see a little notch for a screwdriver.......just go for it and pry from the top and it will pop off. I was scared that I was going to crack it but it popped clean.

3) The actual ds switch can be removed from the top as it is held on by two eyelets on either side. The outside is no issue, but the inside is tricky. I found a handy tool to "push" the inside off was a very tiny precision flat head screwdriver. Once that is removed, I filed the tip of the little white "pin" flat and greased the heck out of the receptacle for the white pin.

4) First time I re-assembled it, I forgot to allign the slide which found its way back into the mechanism slightly. Once i figured it out with a nice flashlight, it was simple to align and snap back together.

Hope my comments help somebody else with the repair!!!!!

Archived