LegacyGT.com

sticky power window switch

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone tried electrical contact cleaner? I spilled some soda in my SI-drive knob and it got stuck. Sprayed some contact cleaner in there and worked it back and forth a few times and it worked like a charm. I used more cleaner than I probably needed and it didnt damage any plastic or lettering surrounding the knob. You can buy this stuff for about 5 bucks at any autoparts store.

Has anyone tried electrical contact cleaner? I spilled some soda in my SI-drive knob and it got stuck. Sprayed some contact cleaner in there and worked it back and forth a few times and it worked like a charm. I used more cleaner than I probably needed and it didnt damage any plastic or lettering surrounding the knob. You can buy this stuff for about 5 bucks at any autoparts store.

I'll try this right now.

85 replies?

And I'm the first one to say Search?

Anyway, mine still works fine. (check the date of repair)

Never sticks, never overheats the motor, never dies,

but does not feel like a quality switch. (Never did for that matter)

And auto down is very sensitive,

I use very light touches to lower the window partially.

I bring you

the answer

And the whole 5 page thread.

85 replies?

And I'm the first one to say Search?

Anyway, mine still works fine. (check the date of repair)

Never sticks, never overheats the motor, never dies,

but does not feel like a quality switch. (Never did for that matter)

And auto down is very sensitive,

I use very light touches to lower the window partially.

I bring you

the answer

And the whole 5 page thread.

Where are my pictures!!!

I've been dealing with this issue for 2 years now. Didnt think about posting it on here, but my wife went crazy with it the other day and I saw this thread. Strange...

If it sticks (and was stuck for a while) and I dont notice it, the window wont open until I open the door and slam it, or turn the car off and then back on again, or sometimes just have to wait and while I'm driving it will finally randomly roll down.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I have the same damn problem as well...a little WD-40? Seriously, how can I fix the lil bastard?

Not wanting to open up the door handle to get at the switch I can only guess. I think it is a mechanical issue in my case, I could feel the switch get a bit out of alignment. Often I could push the rocker arm around a bit and it would then work fine. So, the theory goes that a little light lubrication eases some friction inside the switch and it does not get forced out of alignment. All I can say for sure, is that it worked for me. YMMV.

mine seem to stick most in hot weather...

during a particularly "sticky" period (90 degree + heat) recently, my left rear window stopped working all together. Neither the driver control nor the rear door control can operate the window at this point. Wonder if a switch is stuck in the up position or if the motor is spent or soemthing else is wrong. Thoughts?

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

mine seem to stick most in hot weather...

during a particularly "sticky" period (90 degree + heat) recently, my left rear window stopped working all together. Neither the driver control nor the rear door control can operate the window at this point. Wonder if a switch is stuck in the up position or if the motor is spent or soemthing else is wrong. Thoughts?

Is there a unique fuse for each window?

Archived