LegacyGT.com

Best Battery for Cold Winters

Quote "

Ive been doing some research conserning a new battery because last year during the winter my battery gave me the impression it hates life and the engine is asking for more cranking amps. This question goes out to all the Northern LGTers. "

Unquote .

Starter motor has a fixed cranking speed . All the Subaru's I've owned have been the slowest cranking of any make I've had . Just a characteristic of them I think . They never fail to start though whatever the conditions PROVIDED all ignition components are in good condition .

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ starters have 4 carbon brushes. some times one of them get stuck so the starter only operates at half capacity.

quick test is to boost it with another car to see if there is any difference if there is a difference its the battery or battery cable/ connection.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Original OEM battery lasted 8 years, 152K miles. Was still going but started having trouble in 45 degree mornings, so I swapped it out now before it gave me any real trouble. Ended up going with an Advance Auto Parts Autocraft Gold. Chose that over the Diehard because it was available in the OEM Group 85 size. Made by Johnson Controls, with 195 more CCAs than OEM, and identical to the Diehard in every way I could deduce.

My old battery was looking pretty rugged. :eek:

IMG_20130927_222606_198.jpg

But it was original. I have all the service records for my car, was never replaced.

IMG_20130927_225502_282.jpg

The new one installed:

IMG_20130927_225612_994.jpg

IMG_20130927_225637_378.jpg

I have some good experiences from Tudor Batteries - which now are the same as Exide batteries.

From my experience it's usually a waste of money to go for really expensive batteries as the Optima batteries, but that you also should avoid the cheapest alternatives.

And you will often get a better result by selecting the right oil (e.g. 0W40 or so) as well as making sure that the car is well serviced before the winter. Changing spark plugs before the winter may be a good idea, even if it isn't specified in the service interval - and make sure that they have the correct gap before installing. May make a difference when the temperature drops below -30 (C or F, give or take :p ) Running a few tanks with injector cleaner may also be a good idea.

In any case I did have an old Volvo -64 with a B18 engine which started at temperatures below -30 without any engine heater. So maybe I did something right!

Unless you can get your Optima batteries for free from tech supply. i love the army hahahaha

I install batteries all the time at work and the best battery available locally besides an optima is interstate hands down. Duralast are the worst garbage out there, everytime I've put one in I've warrentied it out in under six months.

I've used the AZ Duralast batteries for a long time now with excellent results. Duralast batteries are made by Johnson Controls, http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-duralast-batteries/

and you say that they are junk and that Interstate are the best, hands down? Let's see......who makes Interstate? Oh yeah.....Johnson Controls makes Interstate, http://bestbatterytips.com/tags/who-makes-interstate-batteries/

Oh...and you stated that Optima was the best, even better than Interstate (which is a Johnson Controls battery which is also the manufacturer of Duralast) and who makes the Optima? Hmmmm....(wait for it...........wait for it...........wait for it)...BINGO...YOU GUESSED IT....Johnson Controls makes Optima batteries http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/johnson-controls-announces-acquisition-of-gylling-optima-batteries-ab-73050742.html

So....in conclusion.....who makes the best battery? Whoever you purchase and have good luck with.

Oh....and just for everyone else that seems to think that their brand of battery is by far the best.....

"Most of the automotive replacement batteries sold on the market today are manufactured by Johnson Controls Inc. which also manufacture Autocraft, Bosch, Champion, Die Hard, Duralast, Everstart, ProStart, Varta, AC Delco, Interstate, as well as more than 20 other brands and also supply almost all of the OE manufacturers with their OE batteries."

http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/content/us/en/products/power_solutions/power_solutions_presskit/about_power_solutions/faqs.html

DEKA and Exide are about the only other companies out there that we see here in the US. There are several overseas but rarely do they make it into the US.

:)

Have just replaced the battery on my 2000 Legacy Outback . It had the original Panasonic battery which was supplied to UK market . Also have a 2001 Outback and its battery was replaced last year . Again that was the original Panasonic unit . Both were replaced by Bosch calcium units but I'll bet they don't last like the Panasonics did ! .

Oh....and just for everyone else that seems to think that their brand of battery is by far the best.....

"Most of the automotive replacement batteries sold on the market today are manufactured by Johnson Controls Inc. which also manufacture Autocraft, Bosch, Champion, Die Hard, Duralast, Everstart, ProStart, Varta, AC Delco, Interstate, as well as more than 20 other brands and also supply almost all of the OE manufacturers with their OE batteries."

:)

True , but all these different brands will be manufactured by Johnson to the customers individual requirements . They wont all be exactly the same .

True , but all these different brands will be manufactured by Johnson to the customers individual requirements . They wont all be exactly the same .

To a point, that is somewhat true. Johnson Controls is going to make a good, better, best scenario style battery and those levels will be forwarded on to the private labels and they will use them as their own levels of quality. It's not feasible to manufacture a battery to everyone's individual specs as with them making 30+ brands would never allow them to run enough batteries of any particular design to make it worth while.

I used to rep for DEKA batteries and DEKA wire and have visited both of the factory locations on several occasions. They run 3 different levels of batteries and while they also do some private label (mostly on industrial batteries-forklift batteries, electrical control batteries and a couple of automotive brands) they simply make these batteries the same as they make their own brand label batteries. Whatever their customer decides to claim on their own label, is up to them.

• 1 month later...
My original battery finally died after 145K and 9 years. I ended up replacing it with a Group 35 DieHard Platinum battery. Was able to stack a sale with Discover cashback by buying online. The stock battery was leaking and there was a lot of corrosion to clean up. Glad to have a quick starting car again. Hopefully this one will last just as long.

Just want to make sure you guys clean the ends on the old cables well before you install them on your new battery. Then put grease all around the terminals to keep moisture out.

Also make sure you wiggle the terminal to verify its tight before you grease them up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Axle grease or 5th wheel grease leftover from the 40ft'r we used to have. Something heavy enough not to be washed away by heavy rains at high speeds.

Tractor supply has a nice selection of $3 tubes of verious greases.

I think a said before I overheard the service manager tell some old lady that for $40 they would put these green and red pads under termainals so they wouldn't corrode. Heard the same thing at the Firestone dealer the other day too.

I'll stick with the grease.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Axle grease or 5th wheel grease leftover from the 40ft'r we used to have. Something heavy enough not to be washed away by heavy rains at high speeds.

Tractor supply has a nice selection of $3 tubes of verious greases.

I think a said before I overheard the service manager tell some old lady that for $40 they would put these green and red pads under termainals so they wouldn't corrode. Heard the same thing at the Firestone dealer the other day too.

I'll stick with the grease.

The green and red felt washers originally were manufactured by East Penn (DEKA) and actually contain an alkali compound that is soaked into them to help diffuse corrosion. They do work a little but grease is by far the best way. Any regular petroleum based grease works well, even Vaseline works well and the advantage to Vaseline is you can see through it if there is any corrosion issue.

Damn....$40 to install the felt washers....I need to start doing this for people if I can get that much. I can buy them in bulk packs of 100 of each color for about $18.00 per box. Let's see...............$0.36 per pair........$40 for installation...........20 installations per week............time to retire...LOL...:lol:

Yes, I'm aware of what those little felt washers cost. that was my point. They have been around almost as long as I have...LOL

I sure I may have bought them back in the 1970's, which was the first time I found a loose connection.

Replaced my battery (walmart maxx?, it measured out at 30% more cranking power than rated) a couple of months a go and was positive I cleaned the terminals well enough, after a couple of trips to have the new battery checked out ( car would not turn over) I removed the terminals from the leads and cleaned the shit out of them (corrosion in the grooves was causing poor contact) learned my lesson :lol:

• 11 months later...

Bump because I just picked up a Bosch Premium Performance at Pep Boys for $100 with a 25% off coupon code "treat25"

My Duralast Gold lasted just over 5 years but I drained it low last week playing music while working on the car. It started fine afterwards but doesn't seem to be taking a full charge now. It's also looking like hell. I would have bought another if it wasn't for the Bosch being cheaper with the code.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived