LegacyGT.com

Best Battery for Cold Winters

Like someone else already mentioned in the thread:

Optima batteries

Here in Sweden the temperature can climb down to -40 C (-40F) without problems.

So the ppl here use and recommend Optima Batteries.

(http://www.optimabatteries.com).

-40 C (-40 F) = alot of snow = makes the Subaru best fricking winter car :)

and yes, we have problems getting the temperatures up in the Diesel cars. :)

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My Optima red top has not impressed me even when new (I'm in Minnesota). Very slow cranking speed when the car sits outside all day at work and temps are in the single digits above zero (F). It has always started the car, but I could probably crank it by hand faster.
It is still ugly.

My stocker always started the car but turned over slowly. The Maxx-35N that I got at Walmart had a much higher CCA rating and does crank faster.

Got good ratings from Consumers too.

That's what I got. My other choice would have been one from Costco, which is even cheaper but just as good. The only reason I didn't is because there's no Costco locally for me.

All the reviews point towards these two batteries.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
MY diehard w/500CCA is bout to take a dip & DIEHARD... thinking bout replacing it with interstate MT-35, trying to find a MTP-35 but no lluck, also was thinking bout the duralast gold. which have mix review... what to do ??

Any battery of any brand should do a good job in the winter.

The magic word is using it a lot.

When used daily, every battery can last for up to 9-10 years before it starts to let you down.

A battery is not that magical, in basic it all comes down to the same.

The only thing that gives you at bit of extra in cold conditions, is having it replaced with a heavier one (Amps)

• 2 years later...
What size is the OEM battery in a 2005 LGT? Group 35 or Group 85/86?

This chart says 35, some people here are saying 85. Help?

http://www.batterydirect.com/sites/default/files/shared/2010_BCI_ApplicationGuide.pdf

I was confused myself and just ended up going to Subaru Parts Dept. and buying an OEM battery. I don't have a fancy alarm or music system. Bone stock. They also told me I have a 60 month warranty.

Go to Walmart and open the book and look up the car. Then get the Maxx-Everstart that fit's, yes the group 35 sounds right. but just check the book...you can read can't you.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just popped the hood, and I have what appears to be an OEM battery, (though the cover around it is on so I can't be certain) and it's a Group 85, made by Johnson Controls. I'll probably just get a 35. 22mm difference in height isn't significant, after looking at my currently installed battery.

Avoid interstate megatron battery one they tend to leak acid which will eat your nice shiny battery tie down's powder coat. two when they croak after sitting for 2 month and trickle charge doesn't work it's smoked. shut the car down and it's dead.

i have a megatron for 6 years and now my friend has it in his van for the past 3 years !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I install batteries all the time at work and the best battery available locally besides an optima is interstate hands down. Duralast are the worst garbage out there, everytime I've put one in I've warrentied it out in under six months.

I install batteries all the time at work and the best battery available locally besides an optima is interstate hands down. Duralast are the worst garbage out there, everytime I've put one in I've warrentied it out in under six months.

I think I have a duralast (autozone brand?) that I got with some warranty program. It's started in the high mountains at very cold temps. Maybe I'm lucky.

I always buy batteries at Autozone because if you're traveling and the battery decides to fail, you can find an Autozone store just about anywhere for your warranty replacement. The same thing can be said in most of the country for Walmart although they are not as prevalent in some outlying areas.

I do the same with my tires (not for the LGT as those are generally more specialty) but for my DD-I buy at Discount Tire because if you have a failure, you can almost always find a Discount Tire for a warranty replacement.

I always buy batteries at Autozone because if you're traveling and the battery decides to fail, you can find an Autozone store just about anywhere for your warranty replacement. The same thing can be said in most of the country for Walmart although they are not as prevalent in some outlying areas.

I do the same with my tires (not for the LGT as those are generally more specialty) but for my DD-I buy at Discount Tire because if you have a failure, you can almost always find a Discount Tire for a warranty replacement.

Agree with JmP :)

Archived