LegacyGT.com

Creaking/popping sound....

I may have the same thing. It started a while back, around maybe 3500 miles. I'm now at 7800 miles, it's getting more noticable. Though I don't feel anything through the steering wheel or the pedals. It's a creaking noise that's very distinct and noticable. It mostly happens at lower speeds on bumpy roads. At first I thought it was under the driver seat, that's what it sounded like. Now I can hear it's definitely coming from the outside, in the front. I can hear it clearly if I roll down the window and driving through an alley, the sound reflects off the wall. Though mine is not just a single click, it usually creaks quite a few times in a row, almost sounds like something's loose. Maybe this is something different? Anyone else has similar noise?

I've been to the dealer once for this. They also couldn't track it down and had to call SOA. I gave up on them and decided to go back again later once I have a better idea of where it's coming from. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Please keep us updated on what you find.

Thanks.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may want to have the dealer re-torque the bolts for the front sway bars and other suspension parts. This is what I plan to do when I take the car in for the next service (oil change).

From what I have read this issue is more about tightening things up and checking the bushings. That is a whole lot better (in my view) than design flaw or defect. Of course it's always better to have ZERO issues, LOL! :rolleyes:

Going up to the dealer tomorrow or next Tuesday (checking now to see if they can fit me in) to get the front clunk on turns checked out. Told them low-speed 5-25 turns over speed bumps, driveways with a lip, turns over bumpy road surface I hear the noise. "sounds like" tie rod going bad, and only happens while turning.

Asked to have the front bushings checked, especialyl roll bar end links, and to make sure bolts are torqued to spec. Supposed to be a rainy day tomorrow, hopefully be back from the dealer before friends are up for brunch, hehe.

-B

I can hear it clearly if I roll down the window and driving through an alley, the sound reflects off the wall. Though mine is not just a single click, it usually creaks quite a few times in a row, almost sounds like something's loose. Maybe this is something different? Anyone else has similar noise?

Yes, the creaking noise is several times in a row.

Sounds a bit like a creaking rocking chair.

I'm finally going to try to get my car in this week.

But has ANYBODY had their car in yet where the dealer

actually knew what the problem was?

Has anyone who is having this problem done any work on the front end or maybe installed a new shifter? It seems like mine started making these noises after I put in my short shifter. Maybe something to do with the front crossmember?

Anyone thought of the tires' sidewall crimping and creaking under turning. I was testing the car for Gs on a skidpad and noticed that the steering wheel would jerk a lil, probably everytime the tire's sidewall crimped and I would hear a creaking/popping sound, probably the sidewall un-crimping, popping out. I don't know, just throwin ideas out.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

I honestly think its the drivers side axle. If you take your tire off and jiggle the axle back and forth it makes a "clunk" noise. I had my buddy do it while I was sitting in the car and I could hear it and feel it in the gas pedal as describe in this post. I plan on making an apointment this Saturday. I am going to take this info in with me, since I have a feeling they are going to blame my springs for the noise.

I honestly think its the drivers side axle. If you take your tire off and jiggle the axle back and forth it makes a "clunk" noise. I had my buddy do it while I was sitting in the car and I could hear it and feel it in the gas pedal as describe in this post. I plan on making an apointment this Saturday. I am going to take this info in with me, since I have a feeling they are going to blame my springs for the noise.

It's not the axle making the noise. If you're hearing a clunk, something else is wrong. This is all in reference to a popping/creaking noise...it sounds like a bushing is worn in the front suspension. On my car it comes from the front right side when turning and going over a bump, turning and accelerating at slow speeds, stopping quickly at low speeds and taking off quickly from a stop or real slow speeds.

Hmmm ... maybe it is the bushing ... I have some extra's just in case :) (I thought they were bad, so I orded some new ones). I am dropping my car off Wednesday at Subaru to have them take a look at my car. Plus, I am getting the carpet hook replaced, since mine broke.

So the car is at Subaru this morning ... we'll see what they find and I'll let you guys know. It just so happens, that I have new front sway bar bushings, so I left them with the service manager just in case. So I have an Outback as a loaner, NON TURBO :( BOOO I say ... heh.

So I have an Outback as a loaner, NON TURBO :( BOOO I say ... heh.

Mine is in for service too. I have a 2.5i wagon with 4eat as a loaner. Better than the Kia they normally let me take, but a long way from an AP/Stg1 LGT 5sp. :eek:

The service guy was really cool about my car though, he knows its lowered. The fact that I was up front with my mods to him, and the fact that I bring my car in for all its service appointments. If they do find something, he'll try his best to make sure its covered under warranty. I can't wait to have my baby back sometime this afternoon. As to the Sport Shift, I have never driven a car with one and I had it in sport shift mode. I was like, why isn't it changing gears, wtf!? Then I was like, DOH! :) heh.

My car goes in tomorrow morning too for the noises.

If one of you gets your car back this evening (Wed.) please

post what your dealer has found. Of course, my dealer said

they haven't heard of the issue before, so they'll be going

in blind unless I can give them a heads up as to what

your service techs found.

Thanks

Just got the call from my Subaru service rep..."You have a bad left front axle!" The noise I had, have is just like everyone is describing. So have your axles checked out. They don't know how long it will take to get an axle but the are going to call around.

Wow, just got back from the dealer myself.

I got to the dealer over an hour BEFORE they opened this morning in

order to find a good place around the dealer with an incline or uneven

area in order to replicate the creaking noise.

Guess what? Of course, I couldn't replicate it.

I found a couple (what I thought) were good inclines that would surely

get the car to creak...but it just wouldn't no matter how many times and

different angles I tried.

And of course, therefore, their response after trying was, "Could not duplicate

problem customer describes...found nothing wrong."

But after driving the car home, and pulling into my garage area (with it's

incline that's not as sharp as the one I found at the dealer) and creak, creak.

Damn!!

I'm going to have to monitor it. If it gets louder, I will have to take it back

yet again!

"Bad left front axle" huh? That sounds serious!! With so many people experiencing

the creaking from the front end when driving over uneven surfaces when turning,

this might be another RECALL issue!

91SS/05GT: What dealer did you go to? And what's the name of the service rep

that diagnosed your car?

Thanks

I had the same issue with mine for about 4000 miles. I kept driving it untill it got louder and louder and then one day about 3 weeks ago it stopped. Never to return. It was always worse on a cold morning and since we have not had a cold morning in a few weeks maybe that explains it.

Peninsula Subaru, Bremerton, Washington. Service technician that drove with me and worked on it I am not sure of, but my rep was Josh. Great group of guys there. My axle will be in Tuesday and hopefully get it scheduled in a week or so. Good luck to everyone else. I am sure the power launches and speed shifts had nothing to do with it. Just got my tail light tint in the mail so I am going out to apply it now.

man what is wrong with service ppl, at first my guys said its the front shocks, got brand new ones but noise didnt go. I went to another dealer, they said its front bushings. You're dealer said axle, Im so lost right now.

Let us know when u get the new axle if the noise goes away, Im still waiting for my new bushings, I'll post updates here later.

There were a couple of threads about creaking/clunking/clicking/groaning/squeeking noises last fall. According to these previous posts #1, #2

the source of the noises were some transmission mount and/or subframe bolts that were not torqued to specs.

I started getting it at around 2k miles every time I pull into or back out of the driveway across the shallow gutter-curb, and I hear it once in a while elsewhere too. Haven't had it checked out yet, though.

Just wanted to post a quick update here. I had my car at the dealer last friday to check on this. I advised them to check front suspension bolts and bushings. I was able to reproduct the noise for them. They called back and said they found a underbody shielding to have some loose bolts. They re-secured them and put some kind of glue material on them and said the noise was gone. I went back for a test drive and the noise seemed to have gone away. Of course, the noise came back now, loud and clear. I don't think that was the problem. I still suspect something loose in the front suspension area, or could be a dry bushing? I'll have to take it back again sometime. Ahhhh....... :(

Anyone else had any luck with this yet? Please keep us updated.

My advice is never bring up tightening bolts to ur dealer.. lol. They will do anything to avoid replacing parts. Im still waiting for the god dam bushings, its been like 2 months. I will update once I put em on.

Archived