LegacyGT.com

Creaking/popping sound....

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Reviving an old thread......

I have had the noise as BadAndy described (under 5 mph, either in starting or stopping), and I was about to take it to the dealer, until I drilled down through this topic to find this thread.

The info was spot-on!!! The creaking is gone!!!! :D

Took 10 minutes. Well, I already have removed the cover a few moths ago (busted when I punched the lower rad tank, hated the oil filter cover, etc), so it was just a matter of tightening.

I used the torque wrench, and all eight of the bigger bolts were loose. Also messed up and hit one of the two front bolts (18 lbs/ft spec) with 44 lbs/ft, and it's stripped :( but that shouldn't matter. Both of those were a bit loose, also, and need a box wrench on the nut.

If it does it again, I'll pull each of those eight bolts and Loctite 'em. Easy enough to do at oil-change time.

Thanks, folks!!

Ron

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I only got this sound when I started gasing or braking.

Have you checked the bolts in the H-brace? Mine were fine there but when I took off the belly pan I noticed that the bolts in the front crossmember were very loose(I could unscrew it by my fingers). Anyways I tighted those up and no more noises.

I know for audi's that nois is the dreaded sound of either your tie rods going bad or control arms.

No, just the splash guard (or whatever that thing is supposed to be). No big deal, it's no more work than an oil change.

In my case, that plastic guard has long-sice hit the trash, so I didn't even have to contend with that.

Ron

No just remove the 3 bolts on the belly pan, and about 4 or 6 popits(thats the worst part) and you can see the front crossmember(there is one popit in each wheel well). I forgot how hard I tighted it but it wasn't excessive. I think I saw once 20ftlbs or something posted by xenonk.

I had to do this myself because the bastards at subaru didn't hear it even though I brought it in 3 times. Once I showed them and they just gave me the bull that they checked(I even told them to check the bolts).

Archived