LegacyGT.com

Creaking/popping sound....

I noticed a couple weeks ago whenever I drive over uneven ground...say a large speed bump, or one of those inclined sidewalk "ramps" when going

into a parking lot or driveway, I can hear a creeking or popping sound

coming from what seems to be the front suspension or steering assembly.

It's really only noticeable if I'm turning the steering wheel kinda sharp too.

I'm curious if this is normal. It's probably been there since the car was

new, but I never noticed it because usually I have the stereo on.

But with it off, I can hear it every time

If you haven't heard it, give it a test.

Here's what you can do:

If you know of a even moderately steep incline to a shopping center (you know one of those where you have to go in at a bit of an angle so your front end doesn't scrape) come in at a rather sharp angle, with your steering wheel turned. You can go slow too, and listen for a creeking/popping type sound

coming from the front area.

You can also do this over a large speed bump or "bump" hump in the road.

Let me know the results.

And if you've heard this already, let me know if you've talked to your dealer about it and if it's normal or not.

Thanks.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my dealer look at the car the first week I had it. They found no issues. I feel a slight 'clunk' in the wheel when going over things like you described. Almost like something was loose. I noticed this before I did any suspension mods.

Moved to 'Warranty Issues'

I have to hop the curb to get into my driveway (they built the road before laying out the houses--- so none of the driveways are tapered down to the road surface -- horrible planning by the developer)

I've never heard any popping and i've got to climb up the curb at a sharp turn to keep from bottoming out.

Are you experiencing this with the steering wheel turned the full way to the side, or part of the way?

have we concluded that this is not CVjoint related?... i know they can make popping noises with sharp turns when failing.

have we concluded that this is not CVjoint related?... i know they can make popping noises with sharp turns when failing.

Mine made the noise at 500 miles. One would hope they hadn't failed so soon. :D

Driver72 - do you have the Perrin front end links? Or something like them?

I had a serious clunking problem that was diagnosed to be inproperly installed end links. They were being chewed up by the swaybar under extreme motion.

I have the same problem and the dealer couldn't find where the noise was coming from so they're having a Subaru rep come out in the next month or so to check it out. It will happen when I start off and when the front end dives a little from quick braking. It also happens when turning over bumps. It sounds exactly like a worn bushing.

Bushings huh?

Again, since I didn't really pay attention to it I don't know if it's been that way since delivery or not.

It occurs when the steering wheel is turned part (at least 1/2 turn of the wheel) or all the way while going over a bump or dip or similiar. I've only heard it when going slow.

Like someone else stated to, if you are stopped and then start out slowly going over a bump you'll hear it too. I haven't heard it while braking.

Anybody else hearing it with stock wheels/tires?

I have the same issue as you. The car is going into the dealer this Friday. I'll post what they find, if they do find something. I certainly hope so, this noise is really getting annoying and I have less than 6k miles on the car.

Cheers,

-Kevin

I had my dealer look at the car the first week I had it. They found no issues. I feel a slight 'clunk' in the wheel when going over things like you described. Almost like something was loose. I noticed this before I did any suspension mods.

Moved to 'Warranty Issues'

I have the same issue you describe. It is a "clunking" noise when I turn into an upramp. I think it happens only when turning right. My old '91 acura did the same noise...not a good thing. I'll take it to the dealer to see what's up.

BTW, **of topic rant ahead** for those of you in Chicagoland, the service techs (esp the manager) at Schaumburg Subaru are all idiots. I recently took it there to have the AC relay connected (they would not tell me that it was a stupid blue plug...DAAAA) and I explained the wind noise in the windshiled at 65-70 mph. The manager's response: "I will not be able to replicate the wind noise you describe because I cannot have my service tech drive over the speed limit, which is 55 in IL." I asked them to put that in writing and they said "I don't have to put anything in writing." Boy was I pissed!!!!!! :mad: I was furious to the point that my normally reserved self was about 10 seconds away from getting in a fist fight with this Ahole. I left and promised myself never to go there for service. Evanston Subaru (or any other nearby dealer) here I come.

On happier news, I went over 1000mi this weekend, I'll post pics soon. :D

I have the same issue as you. The car is going into the dealer this Friday. I'll post what they find, if they do find something. I certainly hope so, this noise is really getting annoying and I have less than 6k miles on the car.

Cheers,

-Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks. Is your car stock (suspension, wheels/tires)?

I first heard it when my car didn't even have 3K miles on it.

I have the same sound. Took to dealer and they said they couldnt get it to do it. All I can say is that they must not have even tried, as any time I go over a speed bump I always hear it. 2.5i here everythign completely stock.

cheers,

Joe

Kevin,

Thanks. Is your car stock (suspension, wheels/tires)?

I first heard it when my car didn't even have 3K miles on it.

I forgot to mention that I've heard it since I got the car when it only had 3xx miles on it. I assumed (wrongly I might add) that it was normal because the demo car I initially test drove made the same noise with 1xxx miles on it. I'm going to call the service department to see if they've heard from the Subaru rep and when he'll be here.

Driver72,

Car's completely stock. I'm planning on taking the service manager for a ride when I drop the car off this Friday. There will be no doubt that he will hear the sound before I head to work.

Cheers,

-Kevin

I've been delaying posting this because I wasn't sure how to explain it since it doesn't happen all the time. The last time I heard it was last weekend while making a sharp u-turn and hit a bump. Then I decided to hit a small gap in an entrance ramp at my school parking lot where I had heard it once before when the windows were open the first time it was warm this season. I turned the radio off and hit the gap, and sure enough, *CLUNK*! That couple with the creaking rear suspension (plus it's due for an oil change) has me bringing the car in this Friday. Sucks to hear that so many other people are having the same trouble. I'll post the info I get, if anything, regarding this after I get the car back Friday night.

Same here... Had it going over a cover for a gas pump underground tank, and got it yesterday will making a slow uturn and hitting the lip between normal street and area where a layer has been removed for repaving. Sounds link a clunk and reminds me of a bad tie rod. I have the creaking rear springs as well, happens when load goes off them after the bump up my driveway.

-B

I have the same problem and the dealer couldn't find where the noise was coming from so they're having a Subaru rep come out in the next month or so to check it out. It will happen when I start off and when the front end dives a little from quick braking. It also happens when turning over bumps. It sounds exactly like a worn bushing.

I've noticed the same noise as well under those exact same conditions. Stock tires, wheels, suspension (for now).

I have the same issue with mine, at sudden stops and starts it makes a clunking sound (seems to be comming from the front right somewhere) . Anyone hear anything on the issue yet? I have a set of STI pinks waiting to go on but I don't want to put them on if there is already a problem that may need to be fixed by subaru, no need to have my car denied before the fix with pinks in location.

Anyone hear anything?

I have the same issue with mine, at sudden stops and starts it makes a clunking sound (seems to be comming from the front right somewhere) . Anyone hear anything on the issue yet? I have a set of STI pinks waiting to go on but I don't want to put them on if there is already a problem that may need to be fixed by subaru, no need to have my car denied before the fix with pinks in location.

Anyone hear anything?

My dealer has called in a Subaru rep to look at it and they should be here next week or the week after.

What's up with Subaru?

I've NEVER owned or heard of a car company whose service

people have to "contact the Subaru Rep" for just about

ANYTHING!!

Man, my car's drivers seat came with a lumpy seat back cushion.

I got it changed out. And I was in disbelief that the guys at

Subaru actually called me to say my new seat cushion was installed

and I can come back to pick the car up (same day).

Before I even got into the car, I felt the seat cushion and the

"replacement" was just as lumpy!! The young service guy said,

"well, I don't know what to tell you!" WTF

So I said, "you can tell me that you are going to order another

seatback cushion right away so I can have one that doesn't feel

like I've got a couple thumbs pushing into my back."

I switched service advisors and went directly to the service manager.

BUT, I needed to drive 90 miles round trip to the dealer so the

service manager could feel the lumps (they obviously didn't believe me)

and then stated, "okay I'll call the Subaru rep and let him know we need

to get you yet another seatback cushion."

I mean, come on. They needed the approval of the rep to get a CUSHION??

I hate to say it, but I'm getting more and more displeased with Subaru.

And I'll say it straight up...I had FAR less issue with my VW GTI 1.8T

People are going to have to stop making reliability comments about Audi/VW

soon and will be replaced with Subaru's issues that keep popping up for us.

And these are ALL (clutch stink, partial clutch engagement, stuttering acceleration,

creaking/popping whatever, etc etc etc) are all pretty serious issues.

If a Subaru certified mechanic can't figure out what the creaking/popping sounds

are coming from under our cars when going over inclines/bumps/etc and

needs a "rep" to hear it, I have little faith in these Subaru mechanics to

do much of anything.

Subaru better get on the ball, or I'll be out sooner than later!

I have just started to notice the same sounds. Sounds like it is coming from the front left, I feel it in the steering wheel, through the shifter and the gas pedal. My 05 LGT sedan is completely stock with 7500 miles, it seems that I started noticing it after an oil change. I am taking it to my Subi dealer(Peninsula Subaru, WA) tomorrow. My service guys are sharp and have yet to call the Rep on anything I have brought to them including unusual probs with my 00-Outback and 91-Sport Sedan.

I have the same issue with my new OBXT wagon. I just hit 500 miles and have had the car just under 3 weeks. My Subie was a factory order with a 02/05 build date.

When I take a left turn into my garage, which includes a small incline, I feel "something" through the steering column and slightly through the pedals. With the windows down I can hear something like a pop or creak that seems to come from the left front tire area.

I agree with others, this feel like worn bushings. My 1993 Dodge pickup makes a similar (much louder) creaking noise making the same turn in, but it *does* have worn bushings.

This must be a design issue or a large run of faulty suspension parts. I think it is the former since so many folks are having it crop up. My guess is that most have it, but don't know it.

Hopefully we will start to hear back from those chasing down the issue with their dealer. I am waiting this one out having seen how long it can take for car manufacturers to ID an issue and publish a TSB (if needed). It sux, but would suck a whole lot more if I was the only person who had the issue. Knowing it is happening to many means the odds are better that a fix or an explanation will surface sooner or later.

Archived