LegacyGT.com

Creaking/popping sound....

Hello All, this is my first post and I wish it wasn't about a problem...

I to have the problem. My problem like most of yours got louder and worse. Starting out in first gear while being light on the gas. Example: in bumper to bumper traffic. 2nd gear shift. starting off in reverse. Turning into a parking space. Braking.... hills or grades didn't really change it for me. Well I to like some of you did not post cause I wasn't sure how to describe it. I took it to the dealer 3 weeks ago and they couldn't hear the problem...!?!?!?! They said it could be brake clips, so they oiled them or something...

I got so tired of this I stopped in with out and appointment yesterday and of course the Service Manager was on lunch for 2 hours. So they got the shop Forman. (nice guy) and we didn't have to make it all the way out of the parking space for him to hear the sound. we drove it around the lot and he heard every sound. He pulled it in the shop right away (again without appointment) and I went to eat a donut and bs with the sales guys.

About 20 mins later they called me and I took it for a drive. Sound Gone. The Forman told me that he tightened this H bracket around the steering column and Sway Bar and anything else he could put a socket around. The sound didn't come back... I haven't driven the car yet today. So maybe it will come back.... post again if it does. I bought my car at Lancaster County Motors in PA. I think the dealership is great. Sales to Service! As long as your dealer will work with you and keep trying to fix your issues that’s good enough for me. Nothing is Perfect.

Lastly, How are bolts and nuts coming loose like this...? I just can't believe that

I love the car even though some weird problems. This is what happens when you buy a first year model. SO DEAL WITH IT PPL.

Dave

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just got back from Subaru. They replaced the driver's side axle, but still had the noise. So they put it back on the lift and started prying, they took a very large screwdriver and pryed on the crossmember and the suspension. They could duplicate the noise while prying on ae "H-bracket" that looks to be a reinforcement for the crossmember. They took off a plasitc shield and low and behold the bolts were all loose. They tightened them up and so far no noise. I will keep you posted as the miles add up.

I still haven't driven my car today. I was reading today about clearing the headlights so I have everything ripped apart and just finished it. Well I think my post was the first to mention the H Bracket and now91SS/05GT says his dealer reported the same thing. Maybe this is it. I told my cousin about this who works for a VW dealer and he recommended loctite on those bolts. If the sound comes back which I believe it will. I'm sure at the factory the bolts were tight. They must have come loose, if indeed this H Bracket is the culprit I have 3200 miles on my car and its started around 2000-2500. I guess we will see....
Dave

CONFIRMED........................................................Problem solved!

I unbolted the splash guard and right underneath it was the H Bracket. I was overjoyed to find the H Bracket (5 bolts out of 10 were loose), so I hand tightned them put the Splash shield back on and took the car for a spin!

Keep in mind my car was at the point of having the noise happen EVERY single time I accelerated off 1st, Braking anytime, and off inclines.

The noise is gone (every bit of it!)

Tighten those H Brackets and smile....smile....smile....:)

okay well thanks waterdish and the rest who already attempted it. one question tho, can anyone take a pic of where exactly the H-bracket is? Im kinda lost. Or if I ask my dealer about it, they should know what it is?

Sounds like in order to get to this H-Bracket we need to jack our cars up

and get there from underneath.

What "splash guard" are we referring too?

As others have said, pictures please.

If this in FACT is the causing of this "creaking/popping" sound I described when

I wrote this thread, I'll rejoice. Then call SOA (and update my case I opened regarding this) and advise them they need

to address this H-Bracket issue with ALL LGT's.

Pics, Pics, Pics

I didn’t think to look for the H bracket today when I had the grill, bumper and head lights out. From my experience taking off the bumper on the bottom side there are these pop-its, its like an anchor that is really easy to remove, this is one area where the splash guard attaches to the bumper you can’t miss them. Its dark out right now. But at any rate the splash guard will need to be removed to see up in this area. The splash guards are nice but not when we will have to tighten bolts every few thousand or less miles… if anyone got pics that would be nice. I am comfortable now taking my car apart so I might look for it tomorrow and snap some shots.

I post a few pics of the headlight clearing to over in the exterior/aesthetic - Want to clear my lenses, but am a big ole chicken thread

Dave

The splash guard is held in by 3 bolts (2 in the front and one in the back), there is also 4 push clips (2 in the front and 2 on the back sides). Here's what it looks like:

http://kentuckyproductsco.com/Pics/Legacy-GT-splashgaurd.gif

Once that is off you'll see the following:

http://kentuckyproductsco.com/Pics/Legacy-GT-fix.gif

Hope this help out!

Enlight, I notice after mine was getting really bad I would hear it shifting from 1st to 2nd. It could be, but I would think like most of us you would hear it starting off, Right before the car comes to a stop after braking and while turn sharp. I also noticed it will not make the sound if you use more throttle when taking off. seems like more of the times when there is more of a strain on the parts that are loose.... I would check it out.

Thanks for the pics Scooby

Dave

CONFIRMED........................................................Problem solved!

I unbolted the splash guard and right underneath it was the H Bracket. I was overjoyed to find the H Bracket (5 bolts out of 10 were loose), so I hand tightned them put the Splash shield back on and took the car for a spin!

Keep in mind my car was at the point of having the noise happen EVERY single time I accelerated off 1st, Braking anytime, and off inclines.

The noise is gone (every bit of it!)

Tighten those H Brackets and smile....smile....smile....:)

Did you torque them down? Or just got them as tight as you could go hand power wise?

Did you torque them down? Or just got them as tight as you could go hand power wise?

Just tighten down as much as you can with a regular wrench. I checked mine yesterday and about 4 or 5 of them weren't even finger tight. Got them all tight and no more popping noise. w00t!!!

I'm a little suprised that I had this problem fixed last October and STILL none of the Subaru dealerships seem to have any clue about it. It must have been a problem with the tools on the assembly line. Luckily it seems to be an easy fix, as long as you catch it early before it starts to warp the holes in the subframe.

As it is, I've put about 13k miles on it since I got it fixed and still no squeaking. :-)

Archived