LegacyGT.com

Creaking/popping sound....

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There two different bolts that I know of: P/N 901000242 of which there are 4 (two on each side) and P/N 901000264 of which there are two. I haven't seen them myself but subaruparts.com has them both listed as M12, but neither the parts list nor the service manual actually say. :-)

I have a Cusco front brace on the way. Does this replace the stock H-brace? If so, I will wait to fool with anything since I will be doing for the install anyways.

There two different bolts that I know of: P/N 901000242 of which there are 4 (two on each side) and P/N 901000264 of which there are two. I haven't seen them myself but subaruparts.com has them both listed as M12, but neither the parts list nor the service manual actually say. :-)

Where do those bolts go?? The bolts I was talking about (12mm) are the ones that hold the brace up, there are 10 of them and all are the same size.

There are four bolts in the crossmember, plus two that seem to go through the control arms which probably shouldn't be messed with. Those were the ones I was talking about.

The crossmember support has 10 bolts, like you said. I'm just assuming they're the same size as the crossmember bolts but they are not identified in either the 2005 parts list or the service manual. I'm not sure whether the dealership guys torqued the crossmember bolts or the crossmember support bolts (and I'm confusing myself as I type this :-)). If you've got the time, hell do them all. :-)

The 10 crossmember support bolts get torqued to 44.3 ft*lbs. and the 4 in the crossmember itself look like they get 70.1 ft*lbs.

You mean the threads on the left (the hole) which looks like a bolt should

be filling??

FWIW, I seem to recall seeing that and being concerned too, last time I was under the car. Probably normal.

Beanboy, where is that thread located exactly, can you give a description or walk-through, I'll just slide my digital camera under my car and take a video of the what's below and then we can see if it is normal or not. Btw, I've got a 5EAT GT Sedan.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

The two bolts in the middle are two of the crossmember bolts, the orginal reason I went under the car. If you look at the middle of the back edge of the plastic undercarriage tray where it attaches to to the car via the two tabs and bolt, you'll see the area.

In this picture, http://kentuckyproductsco.com/Pics/Legacy-GT-fix.gif, the two middle bolts in the pic are the two closer together ones in the center back.

I had the car lifted and the tray off when I took the pic, but if you angle in from the side right in front of the tire, you'll be able to see the area without lifting the car or taking off the tray, especially if you get a camera in there. Appreciate it, thanks!

-B

Okay, so this morning I checked the bolts on the h-brace. I started on the passenger side, they were pretty tight, but I tightened them down some more. When I got to the left side, the source of the noise, two of the bolts were not as tight as the right side. It was actually easy to turn with my socket wrench. So I tightened those up and everything else. I took a quick spin around my neighborhood and such, I have not been able to get the noise to come about. So I am pretty sure this solves it. So I will call the dealership this morning to fill them in.

Ayup, ran up to the dealer and poked my head under a car on the lot, got some odd looks from a salesperson who came out to say hello, hehe. Confirmed that bolt hole is empty. Thanks for the pics and checking melayout! Owe you a beer.

Appreciate it, and shows how damn awesome this board is for owners. :D

-B

It is most definitely the crossmember.

I also just jacked up my car and tightened the 10 (14mm) bolts.

4-5 of them were about 1/2 turn loose, and a couple were 1/4 turn loose.

There was only 2-3 that were fully tightened.

You don't need to remove the splash guard to get to them.

You only need to remove the 1 bolt on the splash guard in order to get

to 2 of the crossmember bolts.

I then tested my car on a big speed bump in my area that I ALWAYS got the creaking/popping sound on.

It was NO MORE...Thank God!

Guys,

Check out the picture. Wile waiting for my caliper paint to dry this weekend, I started looking around underneath and found that the front sway bar busings to frame looked like this.

What in the world would cause them to die like this?

Car has about 3500 miles on it(5mt).

I suspect that this is what is causing my clunk.

Any one else have bushings that look like this?

I'll be calling my dealer monday morning on this!

Cheers, dave

clunk.jpg.e4a793b8af1e5559920ea91b46e74e4f.jpg

Drive softly and carry big torque!

Guys,

Check out the picture. Wile waiting for my caliper paint to dry this weekend, I started looking around underneath and found that the front sway bar busings to frame looked like this.

What in the world would cause them to die like this?

Car has about 3500 miles on it(5mt).

I suspect that this is what is causing my clunk.

Any one else have bushings that look like this?

I'll be calling my dealer monday morning on this!

Cheers, dave

MAybe it's because it looks like you ran over something and damaged

the undercarriage of your car.

What are you doing, bottoming out the car to get huge scratches on the undercarriage like that.

More than likely whatever it is you hit, ran over, bottomed out on or whatever that caused those large scratches also hit the sway bar and smashed the bushings.

Huge scratches? I don't see them in dbolen's picture... Called living in a place that has salt on the roads in winter time, hehe. I had a pile of sand and salt stains in the undercarriage tray, and bolts are rusted:

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/oilfilter.jpg

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/tray.jpg

-B

Look at his undercarriage cover, it has large abrasions on it.

Also, near the center lower part of the picture, on the "H" brace, right

at the curve, there appears to be a several inch scratch.

The black colored brace is scratched white or chrome in that area.

Archived