LegacyGT.com

A mod that only 2.5i folks will care about...

My 2005 MOMO-made leather steering wheel is one of the nicest things in my interior.

Highly recommended for an upgrade.

And this was before audio controls came out too! I can't imagine how nice it is with controls at your finger tips!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4th mod, after clutch switch bypass, LGT rear sway bar & axelback. The hardest part was finding the LGT wheel.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

you have the touring package correct toneranger? not sure exactly whats extra in it, but looks like the wheel is.

You're exactly right sulk - looked the brochure up, the leather steering wheel IS part of the Touring Package.....thanks!

Maybe a good thing to know for anyone wanting to upgrade their wheel - a 2.5i with Touring Package might be easier to find than a GT, it's the same wheel minus the audio controls!

Steve C.

2009 Legacy 2.5i Wagon

Touring Package

Satin White Pearl

You're exactly right sulk - looked the brochure up, the leather steering wheel IS part of the Touring Package.....thanks!

Maybe a good thing to know for anyone wanting to upgrade their wheel - a 2.5i with Touring Package might be easier to find than a GT, it's the same wheel minus the audio controls!

I think it may be easier to find gt wheels, rather then the touring package. AFAIK the touring package was only offered in wagons? And of the ones I've seen they were always white. But yea, I drove a SE 2005, and it had a leather wheel as wheel, while my normal 2.5i didnt come with one.

After reading this thread, and seeing a good steal come up locally I ended up buying one! Should be here by monday, can't wait to install it.

By any chance, does anyone know if the 05 2.5i can handle gear shifting from the steering wheel? I guess I'll find out soon, but yea just be nice to know beforehand.

• 3 weeks later...

So just an update, an 06 Outback XT leather steering wheel came up locally for a good price, so I grabbed it.

Simple swap into my 05, and the steering wheel shifting buttons work, plug and play.

I thought one of the cars I test drove had the shifting on the wheel, but I don't remember, might have been a 3.0 that it was on, and not a 2.5i

But anyways, yea shifting on wheel works, if your car didn't come with it stock.

I'll take some pictures sometime, might be a while from now cause I'm swamped with school

• 4 weeks later...
So just an update, an 06 Outback XT leather steering wheel came up locally for a good price, so I grabbed it.

Simple swap into my 05, and the steering wheel shifting buttons work, plug and play.

I thought one of the cars I test drove had the shifting on the wheel, but I don't remember, might have been a 3.0 that it was on, and not a 2.5i

But anyways, yea shifting on wheel works, if your car didn't come with it stock.

I'll take some pictures sometime, might be a while from now cause I'm swamped with school

That is VERY interesting! So the wiring harness for this to work was already present in the steering column, or what? You can now shift with the console shifter or the steering wheel buttons? Can you post pics of the wheel?

That is VERY interesting! So the wiring harness for this to work was already present in the steering column, or what? You can now shift with the console shifter or the steering wheel buttons? Can you post pics of the wheel?

Here's the pictures, finally got some time to take some.

http://imgur.com/JHDYw.jpg

http://imgur.com/JdDTV.jpg

http://imgur.com/kxvZW.jpg

Plug and play, no problems. I don't know if they are supposed to light up at night or not, as I have never seen a stock GT wheel in a GT.

As a side note, it seems like the 05-08 have perforated leather steering wheels, and the later models have a solid leather wheel(AFAIK), because my wheel is different then the OP's.

Also, excuse the shift knob, got it for free from a friend, and it looks better then stock, so im happy with it, haha

As a side note, it seems like the 05-08 have perforated leather steering wheels, and the later models have a solid leather wheel(AFAIK), because my wheel is different then the OP's.

05-07 are the perforated. 08+ are smooth. The two designs are not interchangable without swapping the airbag.

05-07 are the perforated. 08+ are smooth. The two designs are not interchangable without swapping the airbag.

Ah ok, yea I always forget when the facelift happened. I'm guessing thats when the change in styles occured?

Ah ok, yea I always forget when the facelift happened. I'm guessing thats when the change in styles occured?

Several minor changes were made at odd through the 05-09 run.

Wheels went to 17"

Aux-in was added

Steering wheel changed

Fog light and front bumper design changed

Rear bumper design changed

As long as the horn pattern has the same dimensions it should work. (and I'd assume cruise control is on the wheel too)

That is if you just want to change the wheel, if you want to change the whole thing, I'd assume any would work, though I don't know how interchangeable the airbag is between models?

• 5 months later...
What other wheels have the shifter buttons on the steering wheel besides the Outback XT? Are all the the wheels that fit the same diameter?

Bump for an answer to this question. I noticed the DAMD aftermarket wheels that use the factory switches and airbags are a smaller diameter, but want to know if any of the OEM wheels are smaller as well? Anyone know? Maybe WRX or something?

I'd think any LGT thats auto would have the shifters. But only 05-07 would work, as they changed the wheel after that. Not sure if any of the wrx/impreza would have it. I know for a while the wrx didn't have the triptronic, but I guess they got it eventually (no idea if they got it on the wheel)

If you post a general thread in the 4th gen forums, asking whether or not all autos had the buttons, you should get a good answer from that.

I'd think any LGT thats auto would have the shifters. But only 05-07 would work, as they changed the wheel after that. Not sure if any of the wrx/impreza would have it. I know for a while the wrx didn't have the triptronic, but I guess they got it eventually (no idea if they got it on the wheel)

If you post a general thread in the 4th gen forums, asking whether or not all autos had the buttons, you should get a good answer from that.

I have a pretty good handle on which application have the shifter buttons at this point, I was moreso wondering if all the wheels that fit are the same diameter, or if some of them were smaller diameter. Anyone know?

Archived