LegacyGT.com

What do the Japanese think of the fifth gen?

LegacyFuture

Back on topic, B4 posted some numbers that indicate that initial sales are very good in Japan. It surprises me quite a bit, because for average Japanese folk the car is ginormous and also not very practical in narrow Japanese cities streets.

Picture AKLGT in her new 2010 Legacy and you'll have an idea how an average Japanese person will look like in it... :lol::hide:

Just for you.... look at all that head room!

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss37/aklgt/Fairbanks%20Mar%2013%2010/DSC_0663.jpg

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ That's exactly what I meant! :lol:

Foot of headroom. In other words: too frigging tall.

They used a fisheye lens in that pic, it distorts the hell out of things. And with the sunroof I just have a couple inches of head room, so it's just tall enough. It's not a 05-08. Get over it and keep whatever you have and stop complaining about a car you don't even own.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

if, if supersized Legacy is a worldwide dud but huge seller in NA then FHI will have a dillemma. Go with Honda, Toyota approach (and soon VW too) and design cars for NA market separately or (if they do not have enough money to design different cars) design for global market and try to sell everywhere even though it may be like all season tire - huge compromise on all parameters and not perfect for any condition.

The time will tell.

Krzys

Well compared to the US, Canada, European countries and China, Japan is a small slice of the pie for the global market. Japan might be their home turf, but I seriously doubt what the car buying public thinks in Japan will be enough to sway Subaru or anyone else.

Not at all. Subaru's passenger car market in Japan is second only to the US. Until recently, every Subaru was optimized for Japan versus the western civilizations.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Interesting. Well hopefully they'll keep a true mid size sedan (or whatever the Legacy and others fall under these days) in the future so I'll be able to replace this with another fun AWD when the time comes.

-Ronald Reagan

I test drove the new Legacy as a fluke; was just driving by the dealership and said what the heck. I wouldn't normally consider something like a Subaru due to size (6'-3", 250 lbs.) but the roominess in the 2010 really surprised me. I was going to get a G8 but bought the Legacy instead.

I don't think it is as "cool" as some of the other Japanese cars or the G8 I wanted but it is still a good car. It is pretty huge though now that I have a reference and see previous gen Legacies on the road. Also parked next to my wife's Grand Prix it still looks pretty huge.

I think it handles just fine for its size and for how I drive it, and even though I'm used to a lot more power and acceleration it is quick enough I suppose. While on topic, one of the fastest and best handling cars out there is pretty huge, the new GT-R. See these pics for size comparison to old Skylines and an old Corvette.

32-33-34-35.jpg.3465b409df2e63745c737b79d6c90eb9.jpg

r35r342.jpg.5f75cb1c5f3a9b98387141012787bb4a.jpg

wow i never realized the GTR was that big, it looks "small" in real life

Really? My first impression of it in real life was "WOW IT'S BIG". 2nd and 3rd, etc, still really really big.

But if you drive a 2010 Legacy, maybe it's relatively not big.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Well compared to the US, Canada, European countries and China, Japan is a small slice of the pie for the global market. Japan might be their home turf, but I seriously doubt what the car buying public thinks in Japan will be enough to sway Subaru or anyone else.

How typical.

http://www.msxnet.org/humour/world-according-to-america.png

Really? My first impression of it in real life was "WOW IT'S BIG". 2nd and 3rd, etc, still really really big.

But if you drive a 2010 Legacy, maybe it's relatively not big.

You might just be really small? :confused:

How typical.

Re-read my post hotshot. All I said is that the Japanese market is nothing compared to the US, Canada and Europe. Pretty sure that's fact. It's not like I said Subaru should ignore the wants/needs of the rest of the world while building a new model.

-Ronald Reagan

Re-read my post hotshot. All I said is that the Japanese market is nothing compared to the US, Canada and Europe. Pretty sure that's fact. It's not like I said Subaru should ignore the wants/needs of the rest of the world while building a new model.

If you noticed he didn't post a diagram about how the world revolves around him.

Fact? :lol: :lol:

This post shows your total ignorance about the world and the "map" I linked was indeed so appropriate! :lol: (plus you're from NH, so what one could expect, especially how defensive you're about your 2010 Legacy).

I am sure it's hard to wrap that around your ignorant head, but Japan until recently (2006) was the 2nd largest car market (by sales), now only 3rd being overtaken by China. China in 2009 overtook the U.S. in the number of car sales. And mentioning Canada with their meager population, that's classic!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

http://factsanddetails.com/japan.php?itemid=930&catid=24&subcatid=157

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8451887.stm

Sorry, I should've just said "North America" and lumped both together I guess. And I tried finding sources like you linked with no luck. I'm honestly surprised that Japan was #2, or even is #3 currently. I'd figure European countries would've rounded out the top 5. As for my living in NH, I'll take life up here any day over the liberal wasteland known as Massachusetts, but I'll save any more on that for the OT section. As for being defensive about the 2010, of course I am, I own one. If the 2010 owners were as immature as you all are and polluted threads in the other sections with stupid hate towards your model, you'd be pissed too. I like the styling of the 05-09s but unless I want my head into the roof I'd have to recline the seat way back and end up looking like a retarded thug. I'm glad that Subaru bumped up the size some and judging by sales numbers, others are too.

-Ronald Reagan

Sorry, I should've just said "North America" and lumped both together I guess. And I tried finding sources like you linked with no luck. I'm honestly surprised that Japan was #2, or even is #3 currently. I'd figure European countries would've rounded out the top 5. As for my living in NH, I'll take life up here any day over the liberal wasteland known as Massachusetts, but I'll save any more on that for the OT section. As for being defensive about the 2010, of course I am, I own one. If the 2010 owners were as immature as you all are and polluted threads in the other sections with stupid hate towards your model, you'd be pissed too. I like the styling of the 05-09s but unless I want my head into the roof I'd have to recline the seat way back and end up looking like a retarded thug. I'm glad that Subaru bumped up the size some and judging by sales numbers, others are too.

Funny you pull the 'maturity card'... if you were mature you would not be all in arms about some anonymous people criticizing your car choice on the forums. WTF you would care? :lol:

It's not so much the hate on the car that's annoying, but it seems that with like half the threads here you have to sift through a page of BS before you can find the info for that topic. Maybe I should start going to the 05-09 section and post in every thread how your tail lights look like the ones on a early 2000s model Camry?

-Ronald Reagan

If people get defensive about what other people think about their car then they obviously notice and insist on giving in to what people have to say. All the beef over the new legacy reminds me of high school drama. Ive had my 2010 Legacy GT for 5 months now and the ONLY people who haven't liked it or complimented it are the people on this forum. My brother owns a 2008 LGT and when he drove my car he said that he wanted to trade in his car for one. Base opinions on experience not follow what other people are saying and or doing. If you REALLY don't like it and are despised that Subaru kept the LEGACY name for such a family oriented SEDAN then collectively write to Subaru. See how fast they change the design of the legacy based on the .001 % of people who own any year legacy who are on this forum that complain and bicker like elementary school kids.

Archived