LegacyGT.com

What do the Japanese think of the fifth gen?

LegacyFuture

Most folks on this site have never driven the 5th gen, so they jump to conclusions how a larger car MUST equal 'not as sporty' in the handling dept.

Folks who own and drive the 5th gen LGT think it drives and handles great. Go figure! Actual conclusions based on experiences!!!

At least I have test driven the 5th gen and it did feel a bit larger, but nothing serious. The car that I did drive had the plain vanilla suspension, but there is an alternative with Bilsteins too but I haven't tested that so I can't tell how that is - but it should be better.

And don't forget that it's a family car - not a racer.

453747.png

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard the same hate and Crap spewed when I bought my 08 STI. Now people who hated them love them. I got so many people stop me at the store or gas station to tell me how hot my car was and ask if it was my boyfriend/husband's car. Then they'd freak when they found out it was mine.

It's a new model redesign. It'll take some time before the hatred quiet down.

And yes, I've driven 4th gen and 5th gen GTs, spec b, and previous gen and new STUd. I've owned them, raced them except the new GT. I still plan to autox my 2.5i this summer. Won't be winning any drag races, but great on gas and commuting.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I heard the same hate and Crap spewed when I bought my 08 STI. Now people who hated them love them. I got so many people stop me at the store or gas station to tell me how hot my car was and ask if it was my boyfriend/husband's car. Then they'd freak when they found out it was mine.

It's a new model redesign. It'll take some time before the hatred quiet down.

And yes, I've driven 4th gen and 5th gen GTs, spec b, and previous gen and new STUd. I've owned them, raced them except the new GT. I still plan to autox my 2.5i this summer. Won't be winning any drag races, but great on gas and commuting.

damn you beat me too it. i was gonna say wait a year or two and magically everyone will like it. i hated the new sti when it came out and now i want one. these cars seem to grow on you

At least I have test driven the 5th gen and it did feel a bit larger, but nothing serious. The car that I did drive had the plain vanilla suspension, but there is an alternative with Bilsteins too but I haven't tested that so I can't tell how that is - but it should be better.

And don't forget that it's a family car - not a racer.

ehsnils, do you have any numbers for Europe? How well does this Legacy sell compared to last year?

Krzys

damn you beat me too it. i was gonna say wait a year or two and magically everyone will like it. i hated the new sti when it came out and now i want one. these cars seem to grow on you

Most new car generations do. In a crowd, only the loudest voices are heard. But that doesn't mean they're saying anything beneficial. :)

I owned a 2004 (2005 for US readers) 4th gen Outback and traded it for a 2010 5th gen Outback, both Japanese.

I loved more the 4th gen looks, but the 5th is more spacious, better feeling inside (my 2004 was basic trim and the 2010 limited), love the new automatic gears and both drive just as well.

I am happy with the 5th.

I ussualy don't chose my car for the looks, but for safety, performance and comfort.

I owned a 2004 (2005 for US readers) 4th gen Outback and traded it for a 2010 5th gen Outback, both Japanese.

I loved more the 4th gen looks, but the 5th is more spacious, better feeling inside (my 2004 was basic trim and the 2010 limited), love the new automatic gears and both drive just as well.

I am happy with the 5th.

I ussualy don't chose my car for the looks, but for safety, performance and comfort.

design is a different question... the problem is size... its not like i automatically will grow into SUVs which I never liked. so i doubt i will grow into the 5th gen.

design IS a different question... the problem IS size... its NOT LIKE i automatically will grow INTO SUVs which I never liked. so i doubt i will grow INTO the 5th gen.

I know it doesn't really matter, but I'll post this anyway:

LegacyGT:

Increase in length from 2009 TO 2010: 1.4" (185.0 to 186.4)

Increase in width from 2009 to 2010: 3.6" (68.1 to 71.7)

Increase in wheelbase from 2009 to 2010: 3.2" (105.1 to 108.3)

Increase in ground clearance from 2009 to 2010: 0.0" (5.9")

Increase in height from 2009 to 2010: 3.2" (56.1 to 59.3)

Increase in interior volume from 2009 to 2010: 9.5cf (93.5 to 103)

WRX Sedan:

Increase in length from 2007 to 2008: 4.5" (175.8 to 180.3)

Increase in width from 2007 to 2008: 0.0" (68.5 to 68.5)

Increase in wheelbase from 2007 to 2008: 3.7" (99.4 to 103.1)

Decrease in ground clearance from 2007 to 2008: .2" (6.3 to 6.1)

Increase in height from 2007 to 2008: 1.4" (56.7 to 58.1)

Increase in interior volume from 2007 to 2008: 6.8cf (87.6 to 94.4)

So I look at this a couple ways:

1) the 2010 didn't grow a whole lot compared to the previous gen really

2) The WRX with the redesign in 2008 had more interior volume AND was a similar size to the 4gen legacy, so subaru really had to do something to differentiate the legacy from the WRX. If you want something smaller, get the WRX, for more room, go for the legacy. I see the rationale behind making the 5th gen larger.

^

The 2010 Legacy and Outback did grow substantially in interior volume compared to the BL/BP models, but they didn't increase much in total length or weight. I don't view that as a bad thing, especially given the growth of the Impreza. My major qualm about the 2010 Legacy/Outback is that the Outback is hideous and there is no Legacy Touring Wagon alternative offered for the U.S. While the Impreza 5-door offers 94 cubic feet of interior space (similar to the 97 for the BP Legacy wagon), the cargo volume is substantially less at 19 cubic feet compared to 34 cubic feet for the BP Legacy wagon and for the 2010 Outback. Thus, there is a gap in the Subaru product line for a non-ugly mid-sized wagon.

i dont' care about the specs, but the new bulky look makes it look big. It is like an illusion, you could make your room look bigger or smaller depending what's in it, colors/design/furniture. Plus I pass them all the time, and I feel the difference in size .. when I pass 4th gen... i feel no diff.

So getting back to the thread topic.. "What do the Japanese think of the fifth gen?" Who on this forum is from Japan and what do you think about the 5th gen?Or am I reading that incorrectly? :confused:

I'm sure that I was too subtle for some, so let me spell it out. Who cares what they think? How does their opinion matter? If they hate it, will that make you feel less about the car in general? If they love it, will that make you in turn like your car better? Why this search for validation regarding a personal decision?

This is what I want. It seems that when a new generation of car comes out the sedan comes first. Then after a bit they start to bring back the wagon. I have hopes that the LGT wagon will be back and hopefully mine will look something similar to this one that was at the Dallas Autoshow.

Legacy4.jpg.e39359a0c9118d53c60811f74b1f996d.jpg

Legacy3.jpg.507e9849ecb2800706c04f42d5706b10.jpg

Legacy5.jpg.86659ee7d06977a3dd92c2f9f263ee8c.jpg

Legacy2.jpg.d00f4fc4746723e2f00466d05b163028.jpg

BE committed to DO what it takes to HAVE more of what you want in your life!!!

I'm sure that I was too subtle for some, so let me spell it out. Who cares what they think? How does their opinion matter? If they hate it, will that make you feel less about the car in general? If they love it, will that make you in turn like your car better? Why this search for validation regarding a personal decision?

Subaru's global sales still dictate what happens to the cars in the future. Profitability is also of importance. If the car's success here is offset by declines everywhere else... that would play heavily with the next iteration of the Legacy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well compared to the US, Canada, European countries and China, Japan is a small slice of the pie for the global market. Japan might be their home turf, but I seriously doubt what the car buying public thinks in Japan will be enough to sway Subaru or anyone else.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

Archived