LegacyGT.com

What do the Japanese think of the fifth gen?

LegacyFuture

It's not so much the hate on the car that's annoying, but it seems that with like half the threads here you have to sift through a page of BS before you can find the info for that topic. Maybe I should start going to the 05-09 section and post in every thread how your tail lights look like the ones on a early 2000s model Camry?

So far there wasn't really much useful info on the subject of this thread. But you still learned that Japan is a bigger and more important market for Subaru than Canada. See?

I don't know about tails looking like in Camry. I have wagons :p

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a reason for the "hate". They took away an affordable sports sedan and put out an oversized turd.

I saw one in the rearview mirror the other day. This thing is almost as tall as a minivan. Looks seriously ridiculous.

Someone at our church has a 2010 Outback. Last week we parked next to it in our 2008 Grand Caravan. It was maybe 6 inches lower and almost as long.

Definitely looked closer to the GC overall in terms of size/profile than my '05 LGT Wagon..

^ That's my point, even the Legacy sedan is way too tall. I am getting used to its looks (still ugly, just no longer repulsive), but it looks funny in the rear view mirror. There is no other sedan on the market that is as tall.

I think this is relevant since Japanese folk is much shorter on average, so such a car must be somewhat odd for them.

Well, damn you're right!

Height (inches

59.3 57.9 58.1

That's from RL Polk Legacy/Camry/Accord. Not huge but notable maybe? I'm just glad I can have a sunroof without smacking my head on the roof. :lol:

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand all the whining from the people who don't own the car. Granted I came from a Sentra website where all the (SE-R and Spec-V) people bashed the base model car (the one I owned). Now i go with a huge step up to the 2.5i Premium and I have to sift through whiny b*stards complain about how tall cars they don't own are. You want to have a sporty looking car buy something else, the people who own the 2.5i like the extra room and I personally think the styling is much better than the Camry or Accord (4-door version).

It doesn't matter what car forum you're a member of, there will always be a bunch of insecure b*tches complaining for the sake of complaining.

^Subenoob, you should have witnessed the SE-R snobs looking down on "regular" Altima owners. And now the Coupe owners looking down more or less on everyone else :lol:

It's the same story on every board you look to. Unfortunately we are no better. The difference here however is not just of trim, but of a car that some feel is a radical change that is not necessarily to the better. That doesn't change how you feel about it so don't worry too much ;)

Back to the original topic... I think MY10_3.6L_Oz would like to chime in here (yet he owns one :lol:).

You Yanks realise Subaru completely rebuilt the 2010 model so it could compete in the USA market, we in the Asiapac region think it sucks and would welcome a return to the MY07 design and sizing but that has been lost giving you guys what you want.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2908601&postcount=31

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

I like the styling of the 05-09s but unless I want my head into the roof I'd have to recline the seat way back and end up looking like a retarded thug. I'm glad that Subaru bumped up the size some and judging by sales numbers, others are too.

I just like to know how big are some of you people? I'm 6'4 and about 240lbs and there is about 3-4" between my head and sunroof.

Side note, the rest of the world also gets an overall better version.

If the world version were sold here, more 4th gen owners would convert without issue.

For example, there is no auto LGT, that alone is bullshit when the JDM car is offered as an auto.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Subaru_Liberty_GT_101-625x409.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Subaru_Liberty_GT_102-625x416.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Subaru_Liberty_GT_108-625x304.jpg

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Subaru_Liberty_GT_106-625x416.jpg

Side note, the rest of the world also gets an overall better version.

If the world version were sold here, more 4th gen owners would convert without issue.

For example, there is no auto LGT, that alone is bullshit when the JDM car is offered as an auto.

Agreed, partially. If I could get an LGT Wagon with auto, I WOULD consider upgrading. As it is, I don't want another minivan (the new Outback is nearly as tall as our Caravan!).

I just like to know how big are some of you people? I'm 6'4 and about 240lbs and there is about 3-4" between my head and sunroof.

I'm just over 6' tall. Like I said I'm basing the headroom issue against the 08 Outback the company I work for has for us to do trips in the NE area. I don't have very much headroom in that car and it has no sunroof. In most cases the sunroof costs a couple inches of headroom so I'd worry about not having enough room on a car with the sunroof. Again, I keep my seat fairly upright compared to most other drivers as I just can't get comfortable while driving with the seat reclined. The bigger issue, which I was reminded of last week taking the OB to Montreal and back was width. The parking brake pushes into my thigh. Granted I'm not exactly thin (275ish) but co-workers who have ridden with me who I wouldn't see having an issue with the seats being narrow in the OB comment about how much nicer the wide seats are. I don't know what to tell you. Does the OB have taller seat rails to give that "command view" like SUVs? I've never sat in a non-OB Subaru other than my mom's Impreza and an 05 STi several years ago (still the most insane car I've ever driven!) so I don't know if the Legacy is all that different in terms of seating compared to an OB.

As for the JDM vs. USDM issue- The entire reason I bought this car was because it is one of very few fun to drive, AWD manual trans-equipped sedans, so the missing auto trans is a non-issue to me. The front clip does look better on the JDM model, I'll admit that, and the signal mirrors that so many seem so all worked up about do look better than I imagined, but I still don't like the lens breaking up the mirror case. Maybe if the lens was smoked on dark colors I'd like it more. The cluster looks the same, though it does look like they get a nicer nav setup. I personally don't like climate control compared to a normal manual system, mostly because I don't like it "backing off" when it reaches temp. SI drive is an interesting concept, but I'd just assume it start at S# and then maybe have competition modes that loosen the stability control somewhat to allow some tail sliding, and I'd really like to see launch control (and a trans that can put up with such activities). Lastly, the carbon fiber doesn't do it for me. I like the brushed aluminum look in the current car.

-Ronald Reagan

I'm just over 6' tall. Like I said I'm basing the headroom issue against the 08 Outback the company I work for has for us to do trips in the NE area. I don't have very much headroom in that car and it has no sunroof. In most cases the sunroof costs a couple inches of headroom so I'd worry about not having enough room on a car with the sunroof. Again, I keep my seat fairly upright compared to most other drivers as I just can't get comfortable while driving with the seat reclined. The bigger issue, which I was reminded of last week taking the OB to Montreal and back was width. The parking brake pushes into my thigh. Granted I'm not exactly thin (275ish) but co-workers who have ridden with me who I wouldn't see having an issue with the seats being narrow in the OB comment about how much nicer the wide seats are. I don't know what to tell you. Does the OB have taller seat rails to give that "command view" like SUVs? I've never sat in a non-OB Subaru other than my mom's Impreza and an 05 STi several years ago (still the most insane car I've ever driven!) so I don't know if the Legacy is all that different in terms of seating compared to an OB.

Fat car for fat Americans suits you just right. Supersize everything!!

What's you issue there? You'll fit in a seat for a fat guy- it won't work the other way! :lol: And get off your high horse and realize fat people do exist outside America pal.

-Ronald Reagan

Fat people outside America exists in smaller numbers and those who do are asked to loose some weight (in Japan specifically).

I would start with taking away disabled permits from fatties and designate fatty parking spots. At the FAR end of the parking lot, instead of close to the door. Some exercise goes long way to loose teh fat.

Fat people outside America exists in smaller numbers and those who do are asked to loose some weight (in Japan specifically).

I would start with taking away disabled permits from fatties and designate fatty parking spots. At the FAR end of the parking lot, instead of close to the door. Some exercise goes long way to loose teh fat.

Well I don't have any disabled permits and I already park in the far reaches of parking lots, though I do it to avoid careless assholes from putting their doors into my car. And though I'm far from an ideal weight, you just ASSume that I'm doing nothing about it, which is flat out wrong. And in the end, my weight has nothing to do with the headroom issue in the 05-09s.

-Ronald Reagan

I like my '10 LGT. I don't understand the hate that Subaru isnt offering the GT with a ATX. Wouldn't the 3.6 offer comparable performance?

Affordable manual transmission sport sedans are a dying breed. Look at the other manufacturers offerings:

--Honda Accord 4 door V6, dead

--Mazda 6 V6, 'speed, dead

--Altima and Maxima V6, dead

--BMW 328i, nice, but underpowered and options are silly expensive

--A4, again, nice, but again, underpowered and not price competitive

--Acura TSX, please....

I applaud Subaru for offering enthusiasts a choice. The only other cars I could compare this to was the VW CC, and it wasnt even a comparison, and a CPO TL, where I couldnt justify a used car for the price of a new car.

Yeah, I would rather the car wasnt so tall, but thats about it. The wife loves it, and I could easily fit a couple rear facing infant seats in the back, so thats a plus.

I just wish I could have gotten blue with the dark interior instead of warm ivory...and i want those pedals! All the pedals I can find seem to not include a dead pedal?

LOL @ you guys thinking they upped the size of the Legacy because American's are stereotyped as being fat.

I never said that. I just take offense to unclemat lumping me in with the oxygen thiefs who ride around walmart in the electric carts. $20 says he won't get the same "no personal attacks" PM I got recently...

-Ronald Reagan

LOL @ you guys thinking they upped the size of the Legacy because American's are stereotyped as being fat.

We don't think. We know. It came straight from the mouth of one of Subaru's engineers :rolleyes:

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

Archived