LegacyGT.com

What do the Japanese think of the fifth gen?

LegacyFuture

i personally am not a fan of the 2010 body styling. i prefer the sportish appearance of the 4th gens, and although the 4th gens are less roomy inside they serve their purpose. i've had my 08 for almost 2yrs and i think i actually had a passenger in my back seat 3 times, all without fitment issues. the 2010 models interior is suited for a more family oriented purpose and by making the interior bigger the body bloated a little. for what the 2010 is meant for its a nice car, but it is no longer a sports sedan IMO.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unclemat and I agree on the point that Subaru let our small faction of turbo wagon enthusiasts out in the cold when they axed it in N. America. That is for certain.

But the economics of it back at Subaru dictated that it didn't make sense.

I'm with Sactojesse, I don't want to drive a sedan, and our wagon choices have diminished, and I don't consider a hatch back like a Mazdaspeed3 or a WRX 5-door to be a wagon. So what do I buy next? The new Cadillac Franken-wagon? A new TSX V6 wagon? An over-priced A4 / A6 wagon?

Too bad for us.

There are no interesting wagon options at all. Acura TSX wagon might be a semi-decent option but will lack in performance department (and I doubt it will be available with stick at all, or with AWD in particular). Used 535i might be an option, but these gonna be hard to find one. That's why I bought two 05 wagons. Will last me like 15 years. Next car I am buying is either Elise SC or 911 turbo anyway :lol:

Anyway, this is not about sedan or wagon, it's about completely different class of sedan the new Legacy became. I just can't forgive it the interior (including the electric brake) and the upright stance...

Back on topic, B4 posted some numbers that indicate that initial sales are very good in Japan. It surprises me quite a bit, because for average Japanese folk the car is ginormous and also not very practical in narrow Japanese cities streets.

Picture AKLGT in her new 2010 Legacy and you'll have an idea how an average Japanese person will look like in it... :lol::hide:

it seems like the auto industry has slowly been giving up on wagons and forcing people that are seeking cargo space into cuvs, suvs, and minivans. i've got a personal vendetta with wagons though. my mother had a chevy celbrity wagon when i was a kid and being the youngest sibling i was always forced to sit in the rearest seats that faced out towards the back windsheild. just imagine watching idiots tailgate you at highway speeds knowing that if they dont brake fast enough you will be their new hood ornament.

There is a reason for the "hate". They took away an affordable sports sedan and put out an oversized turd.

I saw one in the rearview mirror the other day. This thing is almost as tall as a minivan. Looks seriously ridiculous.

I'm really glad you posted about your hatred of the 5th gen Legacy. I would have never guessed based on your other 100 posts about the new Legacy that you don't like it.:rolleyes:

There is this guy with a legacy 2010, I pass him by may be once a month here and there around my neighborhood, I feel like a little bug compared to that car... its a lot higher and seems bigger... I always preferred smaller cars..

I drove corollas, older camries, altima, lexus, smaller fords. I didn't like the feeling of the larger lexus.

In a weird my fav most comfy car was the third gen camry :icon_lol:

it seems like the auto industry has slowly been giving up on wagons and forcing people that are seeking cargo space into cuvs, suvs, and minivans. i've got a personal vendetta with wagons though. my mother had a chevy celbrity wagon when i was a kid and being the youngest sibling i was always forced to sit in the rearest seats that faced out towards the back windsheild. just imagine watching idiots tailgate you at highway speeds knowing that if they dont brake fast enough you will be their new hood ornament.

Only the American auto industry! Wagons basically rule the markets in the rest of the world or at the very least are on the equal platform with sedans.

Americans just want BIG BIG BIG SUV SUV SUV TRUCK TRUCK TRUCK

I don't carry overweight adults in the back, at least not all the time. YMMV.

I don't see a point driving a boat, when I 80% of time I am driving alone. I bet that applies to majority of 2010 owners as well.

Also, would it be fantastic if the size stayed the same, or increased moderately and the weight was reduced? It's not like these cars are all that lightweight (even 05-09).

Maybe you are wrong. I would think that you found that the majority of the 2010 owners chose this year of Legacy based on its size.

I opted for the 2010 Legacy based on its interior size, I have 2 kids that are getting too tall for the STi, so I went to the larger Legacy. My wife had an 07 Legacy we already knew that had a small interior as well, not much bigger than the STi (she sold it 2 years ago).

While I can appreciate your view point of driving a small car based on your needs of being an intravert. The rest of the world might find a larger sedan with sporty attributes attractive. The facts are that Subaru moved the Legacy to a larger mid-sized sedan, a boat would be a Ford Crown Victoria.

I have 3 kids and I have no problems in the 05 LGT (wagon).

But give me a break, seriously I don't buy argument that 05-09 Legacy (even sedan) is too small for carrying TWO kids :spin: (GDB Impreza is notably smaller than BL Legacy).

I have 3 kids and I have no problems in the 05 LGT (wagon).

But give me a break, seriously I don't buy argument that 05-09 Legacy (even sedan) is too small for carrying TWO kids :spin: (GDB Impreza is notably smaller than BL Legacy).

You may not, but ask your kids if they like sitting back there. My family has had both, for our needs, the 05-09 legacy was too small. Maybe your short so the kids have more leg room.

We will know how it sells worldwide.

If next model stays supersized in US (and Canada and maybe Australia) but gets smaller in the rest of the world it would mean that Subaru follows Honda and other manufacturers to sell larger vehicles in US and smaller ones in Europe and Japan.

I wonder if it happens will we have access to Acura TSX equivalent here (Honda Accord for the rest of the world).

Krzys

You may not, but ask your kids if they like sitting back there. My family has had both, for our needs, the 05-09 legacy was too small. Maybe your short so the kids have more leg room.

5'11". I guess I am short based on 2010 owners comments.

I always preferred smaller cars..

I drove corollas, older camries, altima, lexus, smaller fords. I didn't like the feeling of the larger lexus.

In a weird my fav most comfy car was the third gen camry :icon_lol:

I'm like you, I prefer smaller cars. I consider camries, accords, altimas to be HUGE. When considering Subarus I initially wanted the outback sport or WRX/STI. These cars were well within my compact/subcompact wheel house, since every car I've owned except my beloved 2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport (RIP) was that size. I noticed the 4th gen Legacy at an autoshow in 2008 and love how cozy it felt inside (fiance thought it was too small inside). I test drove a few anyway but decided to wait.

With the 2010 the interior isn't cozy but it wraps around you more than one would expect for the comments on this site. The driving experience is definitely comparable to a smaller car. It brakes well without an obnoxious shift in weight. It does have body lean in hard turns but the car shifts directions easily without feeling like you're battling a lot of momentum.

I wasn't able to do all the things with the 08s on test drives that I've done with my 2010, but I think one would have difficult time saying other than looks and size that its a huge departure from the Legacy's *ahem* legacy of being an above average performer in its segment.

I love this 2010 Legacy. I have driven legacys since 1991 and many of the 3rd and 4th generations and find few differences between the two. When it came time to but a car I would not considered the previous generations because they are a small car in all ways, but the 5th generation has grown up and is a good car front to back. I have belonged to many car forums and I really really like this forum because it seperates the generations of vehicles and I do not have to get lost in the many years of previous years. Its a shame that the previous generations feel the need to come up here and trash us for buying a great car. I don't think you will find many of us lurking in the other forums and trashing them for owning older vehicles.

i personally am not a fan of the 2010 body styling. i prefer the sportish appearance of the 4th gens, and although the 4th gens are less roomy inside they serve their purpose.

The thing is, they could have made the Legacy larger without changing the character of the car so much. Personally, I think the Infiniti M looks more like a Legacy than the Legacy does now! :)

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/11353-2006-Infiniti-M45.jpg

If only Subaru had named the 2010 Legacy something else than "Legacy" this would be about as questionable as the BL/BP vs Forrester or Impreza or even the M35x, etc etc. It's not like Honda where the generations are similar. These two cars are very different. At least if they had picked a different name we could instead mourn the death of the BL/BP line with flustered pride and be happy to have a situation like the Supra (discontinued line that is thus more revered) instead of bash its 'upgraded version'. If only...

I just apply this methodology: They replaced the Legacy line with a different Legasay line, that is NOT a Legacy. And I sleep a lot better :lol:

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived