LegacyGT.com

For those of you looking for a navi in '06 - looky looky :)

I would get absolutely zero use out of a navigation system. I wouldn't be taking this car anywhere that I would be getting lost. Salt Lake is built on a grid system. If you don't know how to find a house on the corner of 4700 South and 3600 West then you are an absolute moron. :lol: The other things that unit could do is what I want it for....

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would get absolutely zero use out of a navigation system. I wouldn't be taking this car anywhere that I would be getting lost. Salt Lake is built on a grid system. If you don't know how to find a house on the corner of 4700 South and 3600 West then you are an absolute moron. :lol: The other things that unit could do is what I want it for....

You know, I used to feel that way too...

Until I drove around in a car with a laptop, GPS, and mapping software.

I used it this weekend on my way back from Destin, FL.

I plugged in "shortest route" instead of "fastest route" which keeps you on major highways.

It dumped me out on to some back woods country roads in FL and AL that NOONE was on. They were narrow, but in decent shape as long as I stayed in the middle. Plus I could FLY down these roads.

And the coolest thing is:

On the FL/AL state line, one of the FL county roads turned to HARD packed sand. It was a BLAST to drive down even in my wife's Celica!

-Nate

Could you have it dial in the locations of hidden speed traps? http://www.detailcity.com/images/smilies/naughty.gifhttp://www.detailcity.com/images/smilies/driving.gif

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Ahhh, how the navi toy would be fun. Even though I don't plan on getting lost, it would be fun to know exactly where I am and how far I have left. Guess I'm a gadget freak.

But please, oh please Subaru get rid of the hideous fake wood in the US version and give us the nice dark grey shown here.

i don't understand. this is nothing new unless those are actually 06 models in another countryt hat didnt have it in 05. the legacy in japan has had that since day one with the boost guages and everything. what am i missing?

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

You know, I used to feel that way too...

Until I drove around in a car with a laptop, GPS, and mapping software.

I used it this weekend on my way back from Destin, FL.

I plugged in "shortest route" instead of "fastest route" which keeps you on major highways.

It dumped me out on to some back woods country roads in FL and AL that NOONE was on. They were narrow, but in decent shape as long as I stayed in the middle. Plus I could FLY down these roads.

And the coolest thing is:

On the FL/AL state line, one of the FL county roads turned to HARD packed sand. It was a BLAST to drive down even in my wife's Celica!

-Nate

Agreed -- I never thought I'd like one either until I got one. I love my Garmin 2620 NAVI. I like to know when I am going to arrive somewhere.

BTW -- I just came back from Destin as well this weekend. Raining like crazy down there Friday, so we headed north -- back to higher ground!

Rob

I went today to the MidCity dealership in Chicago for warranty repairs to the A/C unit.

Dealer(manager) confirms NAVI as an option in the 2006 LGT (same as the Tribeca) for about 2500 dollars (V E R Y E X P E N S I V E), will be able to retrofit. Will need new plate for the cooling vents also. Check back by mid summer for availability.

S., Good call! Yeap, sure looks as if the ACC sports a different rotory control on the right side.

Do ya supoose a single temp. control would cure our ACC ills.

A message to Subaru. I'll buy a MY06 to match the MY05 we own, in the process ditching Audi as our brand of choice, if only you'll fix the clumbsy operation of the ACC. Fair enough.

Silly....ya I though so too..but what the heck.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I went today to the MidCity dealership in Chicago for warranty repairs to the A/C unit.

Dealer(manager) confirms NAVI as an option in the 2006 LGT (same as the Tribeca) for about 2500 dollars (V E R Y E X P E N S I V E), will be able to retrofit. Will need new plate for the cooling vents also. Check back by mid summer for availability.

Yeah, for around $2500 you can get a cubby din bezel, pioneer Avic-N2, ipod connector, ipod and xm receiver with nav traffic. It won't look as integrated as the factory nav, but it doesn't look out of place either, IMHO.

Agreed -- I never thought I'd like one either until I got one. I love my Garmin 2620 NAVI. I like to know when I am going to arrive somewhere.

BTW -- I just came back from Destin as well this weekend. Raining like crazy down there Friday, so we headed north -- back to higher ground!

Rob

You should have stayed!

Saturday and Sunday were BEAUTIFUL!

(a little windy, but beautiful none the less).

I was expecting it to be that much. Where do I sign up? :)

Manual with no parking brake engaged? These europeans have things bass ackwards! :lol:

Boxer, can't tell if you're being facetious or not.. It makes MORE sense not to use a parking brake with a manual, IMHO - you have the whole transmission/engine holding you steady. With an auto, there's just that little pin in the tranny..

HV

Boxer, can't tell if you're being facetious or not.. It makes MORE sense not to use a parking brake with a manual, IMHO - you have the whole transmission/engine holding you steady. With an auto, there's just that little pin in the tranny..

HV

With the car in neutral??????????? Look at the pic.

So you wouldn't use the parking brake on an incline? Just put it in gear?

HV

Actually it makes sense to be in the habit of setting your parking brake every time as well as leaving it gear, so that in the event you forget one or the other, or bump the stick out of gear with you backpack or something, you're doubly covered. Having driven manuals almost exclusively for 25 years, I feel weird not setting the parking brake even in an automatic on a flat parking lot. As habits go, it's a pretty good one.

DKB

With the car in neutral??????????? Look at the pic.

So you wouldn't use the parking brake on an incline? Just put it in gear?

On a steep incline, I'd set the parking brake (on a manual). Otherwise, just leave it in gear.

Sorry, I didn't notice the gear shift being in neutral.. I never leave a manual in neutral..

HV

manuals ALWAYS need hte parking brake.

theres nothing stopping them otherwise.

It's called 1st gear :-)

And that's a LOT MORE than the pin in an auto transmission.

With a manual, you have the entire transmission/engine assembly, which is capable (in the case of the legacy gt) of hurtling the car to 60 mph in under 6 seconds or spinning tires. Surely that's enough force to keep the car from moving...

With an auto, you ONLY have the parking pin - the fluid isn't moving and the torque converter isn't locked, so have nothing else to hold the car.

HV

I use the parking brake with my manual...always...ANd I always place it in gear after I shut off the engine.

Now Driving school teaches you to turn the wheels towards the curve if parking up-downhill. Do you do that ?

It's called 1st gear :-)

And that's a LOT MORE than the pin in an auto transmission.

With a manual, you have the entire transmission/engine assembly, which is capable (in the case of the legacy gt) of hurtling the car to 60 mph in under 6 seconds or spinning tires. Surely that's enough force to keep the car from moving...

With an auto, you ONLY have the parking pin - the fluid isn't moving and the torque converter isn't locked, so have nothing else to hold the car.

HV

You are right about the Automatic thing... I would assume that drivetrain engineers make the parking pin sturdy enough to hold the car, though, since so many people assume that Park means literally "PARK".

I am guilty of it. My ranger just gets put in Park and shut down, unless it is on an incline, then the foot parking brake, and the steering turned to brace on the curb. Theoretically, I should probably use the Parking brake more often in my truck.

But in a car with a manual transmission... you are right, the driveline is fully engaged, and the car rests against the static compression of the engine. If you have a 4 cylinder, it is resting against the static compression of one piston. With more than 4 cylinders, it could be 2 pistons.

Not that that is unsubstantial, but a more substantial grip of friction pads on disks, or shoes on drums provides a higher resistance to movement.

I always use the hand brake with a manual transmission. Sometimes I leave it in gear on inclines, as well. In the garage, I usually leave the car out of gear, so that my wife doesn't drop the clutch when she starts the car, and crash into my tool bench, or the garage door. She screamed at me once when I did leave the car in gear, and she didn't realize it. Luckily she caught it fast enough to prevent catastrophe.

It is mostly about habit, but using the parking brake is cheap extra insurance against unwanted movement when the vehicle is parked.

I got a question for you. Which database provider is being used in the nav system, is it NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas?

Sorry for the delay. I checked out the Mapinformation of the Nav system and unfortunately I got no useable information. It only says Kenwood .... and map version .... Nothing about the provider of the map material.

Are there are any other points which might give you any indication what provider it is ?

Are there are any other points which might give you any indication what provider it is ?

If you were in the U.S. yes, but not if you have the European database. fyi, Kenwood and Pioneer aftermarket nav systems here use a database that is NOT used by most OEM car manufacturers in the U.S. Only Alpine does here so I was less than excited when I heard that the Subaru nav system is based on Kenwood parts. Probably the easiest way to find out for U.S. nav systems is to check out the nav disk on the Tribeca when it gets released.

thanks for checking though....I'm kind of surprised that the database provider is not printed on your nav dvd.

Archived