LegacyGT.com

Will this halfshaft work for 05 LGT?

RangerMan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The part about below, is there a new snap ring provided with the replacement axle or is it something I should get from Subaru first before starting the repair job. Is it hard to remove if stuck inside the transmission?

"

**Technician must check carefully for a Subaru defective OE snap ring on the inner joint of the OE axle removed. If the OE axle does not have an inner snap ring or if it is only partially intact the snap ring or its parts will still be in the transmission and must be removed before the new axle is installed.**"

Our axle does come with the snap ring. Unfortunately i am not sure how difficult it is to remove a broken snap ring from the transmission because i have never installed one on this particular vehicle. Hope that information helps. I am sure someone else in the forum would probably know a lot better than myself.

Every vehicle has specific torque specifications , and it will be listed after the axle part number.

So is the recommended torque 80 ft-lbs? I have always used an impact in the past, so how difficult is it to use a torque wrench on a free-spinning axle (AKA will the diff lock it up?)

On the search for a new DD...

Yep, Front is 162 ft.lbs. & the Rear is around 140 ft.lbs. I think what my Haynes manual said. Off to work now, check book out to double check when I get back home.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Anyone ever have a tranny axle seal leak after pulling the axle twice? First was for a torn passenger inboard boot and second was for a clutch install (same axle). After the clutch install I got a leak and had to buy a new seal (the one with the metal spring).
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Anyone ever have a tranny axle seal leak after pulling the axle twice? First was for a torn passenger inboard boot and second was for a clutch install (same axle). After the clutch install I got a leak and had to buy a new seal (the one with the metal spring).

From Honda's I have learned to keep spare seals around. I have gotten good with Honda axles and haven't needed to use one of the spares in a while.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So I read thru this post. After talking with a tech at MAC I was told that he cannot get the front axles. So I called back with this post in front of me. These axles are on back order and are supposed to be in next week.

Just for my piece of mind. The axle in the link of the first post in this thread will fit an 2005 LGT with a manual transmission right? ($54.95)

Also from this thread:

Driver and passenger side axles are the same

Axles are the same regardless of automatic or manual tranny.

Axles are the same regardless of turbo or non-turbo motor

So, in conlusion any front axle off of an 05 or 06 Subaru legacy will work on my car (05 legacy GT, manual tranny) correct?

Do I have all my facts straight?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ordered 2. Advance wanted 140 a piece, got two for 147 shipped, you can't beat that deal. Hopefully it won't take long to arrive here in Nebraska from NY.

What kinda rubs me the wrong way is when vendors automatically double the shipping rates if you order two of the same item. I feel that is gouging.

It is. After a drop shipment. The tape around the torn boxes gave away possible issues inside, that's why I opened them both immediately. I dunno, I think they can be beat back into submission but one of them is not only bent, but also torn. I would rather not use these at all.

These did not work for me. 2005 LGT 5EAT, build date August 2004 IIRC.

This picture explains why. I really doubt the MT has different wheels, or maybe I was the unlucky one with a weird "transition" car between model years.

Needless to say some swear words followed once my halfshaft was out and set it down next to the "replacement".

So I am wondering how come this worked for Scooter.

Photo0063.thumb.jpg.aab9c268f748476106803ebb613edf7d.jpg

I got a hold of Mac Auto Parts inquiring about the 20% restocking fee as I didn't think I should have to pay it. The rep I talked to on the phone wasn't too thrilled with the situation and I can definitely understand the unpleasant aspect of losing money on something like this. To that end, does anyone have any idea WTF happened here and how come mine are different? I'd hate for someone else to end up in my boat and Mac Auto having to take other axles back. They said they sold over 500 so far.

So, if yours is a 2005 or late year 2004 build 5EAT, you might want to double-check which you have.

Sorry i do not check the email linked to this account too often. You will not have to pay a restocking fee or return shipping. As far as it not fitting we are still looking into that because we have sold a very large amount of these and had no problem. The only issue we have had is that the abs ring needs to be removed because on your vehicles the abs is built into the hub. We are very sorry about this we are looking into it and straitening everything out for you.

I got a hold of Mac Auto Parts inquiring about the 20% restocking fee as I didn't think I should have to pay it. The rep I talked to on the phone wasn't too thrilled with the situation and I can definitely understand the unpleasant aspect of losing money on something like this. To that end, does anyone have any idea WTF happened here and how come mine are different? I'd hate for someone else to end up in my boat and Mac Auto having to take other axles back. They said they sold over 500 so far.

So, if yours is a 2005 or late year 2004 build 5EAT, you might want to double-check which you have.

Thanks for the input.

I have a 2005.5 LGT and although my order for the LGT half-shaft was placed on 07/01/2010, there has yet to be any status update other than my credit card has been charged.

Jim_KT, no worries, I did not get a status update either, the axles just showed up at my door. If you want, you can follow up with Mac and they will provide you with a tracking number.

Keep us posted if yours fits. Like I said, my Legacy is a late-2004 build model year 2005.

macautoparts, yeah we tried looking at the whole assembly and from the looks of it it simply was not going to fit. We got lucky because we tracked down a CV rebuild kit at a dealer so we got the problem taken care of.

It really is a shame they didn't fit, these things are not only cheap, but well-built from the looks of it. Subaru wants close to $300 for an OEM axle. Forget that!

macautoparts, thanks for getting everything straightened out. I just had one bad luck after another. Is there anything I can do to try and find out why there is a difference?

I just received my MAC Auto LGT half-shaft. Fast delivery even though I noted that there was no shipment notification.

The original half-shaft has yet to be removed, but the outer end is the same fashion as fishbone's. Ever so slight damage to the metal "disc". However, I am more concerned that it won't fit on my car.

Archived