LegacyGT.com

Will this halfshaft work for 05 LGT?

RangerMan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Th3Franz - its good to hear everything went good on the install. Hope you get your car back in top shape soon.

al-gorithm - we do ship to canada, however the shipping is a little expensive due to the weight of the axle. it is $54 which is in the neighborhood of the same price as the axle itself. Some people have it shipped to a friend just across the border and pick it up.

• 4 weeks later...

Since my boot finally dried up and ripped all away around on the driver side, I'll order one cv axle from Mac Auto. I just have a few questions

1) The one on the passenger side is aftermarket cv axle and it's completely fine, but should I replace it as well with a Mac Auto axle ? ( Just the piece of mind there both same brand )

2) should I order new ball joints since I have to remove it during installation ?

54.95 is a great price ! I don't mind getting a second axle, lol

Since my boot finally dried up and ripped all away around on the driver side, I'll order one cv axle from Mac Auto. I just have a few questions

1) The one on the passenger side is aftermarket cv axle and it's completely fine, but should I replace it as well with a Mac Auto axle ? ( Just the piece of mind there both same brand )

2) should I order new ball joints since I have to remove it during installation ?

54.95 is a great price ! I don't mind getting a second axle, lol

You don't have to remove the ball joint to install a new axle. Just remove the bolt on the bottom of the LCA and push down on the LCA you don't need a pickle fork to separate. After that take off the axle nut, turn the wheel and pull out the half shaft.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I replaced both of mine at the same time. I recommend doing both of them since they are inexpensive, and it will eliminate the possibility of vibrations from one side being different than the other. My only gripe is that the coating on them isn't very good. They have only been on a couple months and are showing surface rust already. Guess I can't be too surprised, since everything else is working good for the price.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally did my install with the empi from mac auto.

For the life of me I couldn't get this axle to go any further into the transmission, but I can't easily take it off either. Is this seated properly ?

I took it for a little run all the way up till the engine got to avg. temp and I haven't notice any leaks.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/SAM_0552.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/SAM_0551.jpg

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p330/ibr_adam09/SAM_0549.jpg

From what I can see on my stock green halfshafts, they are sitting flush with the case.

Oh, and my driver's side inner boot on the skinny side has developed a slight tear all around the clamp due to a shop putting a band clamp to stop a leak and tightening it way too much. I loosened it so I hope that stopped the tear from progressing, but if it rips I don't know what route i wanna take. Replace it, rebuild it, replace both with aftermarket just to be sure they're the same? Argh!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bumping this up. Anyone get vibrations from these? Just installed two on a customers car yesterda and it vibrated like CRAZY under acceleration, particularly after turning. Put the stockers back on and it completely went away.

Has anyone else had this problem with these?

I have the aup-190n for the last few years with no problems and I take mine to the drag strip
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 4 weeks later...
Bumping again. Are the one's you folks are getting vibrations from the Empi ones from Macauto?

Yes, both of them from macauto vibrated. I swapped the stockers back in one at a time and can confirm that each of them vibrate.

I ended up replacing the boots and re-greasing the stockers.

Now the customer is stuck with new, vibrating macauto axles that will cost $35 to ship back for evaluation for refund, minus a restocking fee. If they decide there isn't anything wrong with them (they passed QA in the first place, after all, so who's to say they'll find anything wrong) then that would be more wasted $$ sending them back. Macauto wasn't pleasant at all to speak with over the phone, attempting to blame the mechanic as much as possible even though it's only their axles that are vibrating, not the stockers which were also re-installed by me.

I won't be buying them again either.

Yes, both of them from macauto vibrated. I swapped the stockers back in one at a time and can confirm that each of them vibrate.

I ended up replacing the boots and re-greasing the stockers.

Now the customer is stuck with new, vibrating macauto axles that will cost $35 to ship back for evaluation for refund, minus a restocking fee. If they decide there isn't anything wrong with them (they passed QA in the first place, after all, so who's to say they'll find anything wrong) then that would be more wasted $$ sending them back. Macauto wasn't pleasant at all to speak with over the phone, attempting to blame the mechanic as much as possible even though it's only their axles that are vibrating, not the stockers which were also re-installed by me.

I won't be buying them again either.

Thanks for the quick reply Brett!

Hmmm, that's not good. I'm glad I didn't order one yet. Maybe we'll get macauto to chime in on this issue since they've got somebody there who's contributed here in the past.

That's a bummer. I was thinking of buying a spare set of these and replacing as needed, instead of blowing $$$ for a set of heavy-duty aftermarket axles. I could break a few and still come out way ahead. But not if they don't work right.

What year was your customer's car, TurboBrett?

And, MT or AT? Not sure if it should matter, but just in case...

Macauto wasn't pleasant at all to speak with over the phone, attempting to blame the mechanic as much as possible even though it's only their axles that are vibrating, not the stockers which were also re-installed by me.

That is one thing I did not like about dealing with them either. When I called to inform them I got the wrong axles, got defensive on the phone, said they sold hundreds and never got a complaint.

Archived