LegacyGT.com

Stinky Clutch Solution!!! *READ*

You must slip the clutch a bit....you are going slow, backwards, uphill with limited visbility. I get it even once I release completely, but it's hard to be sure as it's not a long driveway.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, but I have not had any clutch stink issues at all since I owned the car.

And today I just passed the 1500 KM mark, so my dealer will do their complimentary inspection on the car next week and then it's off to the security shop for a full Compustar alarm/ starter. I can't wait as it has a built-in turbo timer in it and I really hate sitting in my car for a few minutes after a long drive to cool the turbo down. the Turbo timer set at 5 minutes cool down will really help that!

But for the clutch stink, maybe I haven't had it yet due to not launching the car hard yet or slipping it too much?

I agree with many that the GT clutch and shifter takes some getting used to, my Acura before had a typically great Acura/Honda clutch and solid, succinct shifter. The Subaru is very nice, but very different in feel than the Honda.

I am sure getting a short-throw in the Subaru will help things and learning the high clutch-engagement point took all of 2 minutes after I drove it out of the dealer.

SUBIETONIC- My clutch did the same thing the other day.:( It came out about half way and stuck with the terrible smell with it. Please send me a PM or something to let me know if what your doing fixes this. I am going to check the fluid level tonight.

(I don't intend for this to sound offensive :D )

well, that was easy

on a side note, im sure this will be resolved since it is the FIRST of the new model

Subaru is probably planing on getting a better clutch for the MY06

im sure it takes some time to gather all the information from the people and have a company like Subaru to do somthing about it

SO GO COMPLAIN IT TO THE DEALER SO WHEN I HEAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY THE LEGACY THE CLUTCH STINK WILL BE SOLVED

be like the women and compain a billion times, dealers and Subaru would probably be sick and tired of hearing it and they will replace it free of charge

thank you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

why don't you 5MT owners meet up at SOA's Cherry Hill office at lunch hours and drive around their parking lot until the big boys know how bad the stinky clutch smells? bring some news reporters too! :lol:

This Space For Rent

Guest turboman
Funny, but I have not had any clutch stink issues at all since I owned the car.

And today I just passed the 1500 KM mark, so my dealer will do their complimentary inspection on the car next week and then it's off to the security shop for a full Compustar alarm/ starter. I can't wait as it has a built-in turbo timer in it and I really hate sitting in my car for a few minutes after a long drive to cool the turbo down. the Turbo timer set at 5 minutes cool down will really help that!

Don't want to stick my nose where it doesn't belong, but there's no need for a timer to cool the turbo. Run synthetic oil and you'll never have oil "cooking" in the turbo (they call it "cokeing" when oil burns and cakes up on the bearings and passages). I must have had at least 5 turbos over the years. Both cars and motorcycles. Always ran synthetic, never did any "cool-downs", and never had any failures (up to 60,000 mi.)

gireland: You know that unless u have significantly altered the car you dont need a turbo timer anymore. The car has a built in turbo "cooling system" that works when the car is off.

As stated by one of my Civil Engineering instructors in College:

There are 2 types of design failures: The first is a catastrophic failure, such as a bridge failing and falling into the river. The second type of failure is a usability failure, such as a bridge that is structurally sound, but has too much sway or bouncing. The first type of failure can kill someone (very bad because it sucks to die). The second type of failure will cause the structure to be avoided and not used (which is bad because it sucks to waste millions of tax dollars). Both are equally damaging.

Subaru has a new car with a design failure. It isn't something that is likely to be catastrophic, since the clutch is not "technically" defective. But it IS a failure since people do not like it, and could potentially cause very bad feelings between Subaru and their new customers.

The clutch stinks, PERIOD. Yes, you can drive it so that is doesn't stink. Yes, the clutch is strong and works fine. But, good heavens, have you smelled the stink? How can anyone think this is "normal"? Subaru is in a position right now to attract a lot of new customers, but they are also going to have to keep those customers. Telling someone they need to learn to drive is not a good way to do this.

Not to get off topic

gireland - This article is about the WRX turbo system but applies to all new generation Subaru Turbo engines.

Basically, Subaru has designed the cooling system to "percolate" and vent heat off of the turbo via the coolant system. http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/WRXInfo.pdf. Notice the coolant pressure container immediately above the right cylinder bank. Convection cooling pulls coolant out of the cylinder head, across the turbo and back into the cooling system until the turbo is cool. Couldn't be any more efficient than that. Bottom line, you do not need a turbo timer any longer.

The car goes in on Monday for a complete clutch replacement. I'll be talking to the master mech today to make sure what all he intends to do. I'm hopeful this will involve replacing the flywheel too as this clutch has slipped alot with the partial engagement.

rossodave - good (or bad) to know that others are getting this engagement issue. Stymies the heck out of me as I never know when it's going to do it.

I suspect that SOA is now aware of the USDM issue. But I just can't imagine the test engineers beating these things and not smelling the clutch or even occasionally getting the partial clutch engagement ... at a loss to explain it.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My LGT clutch is the same as everyone elses on this board: smells bad, you can adapt your driving to minimize it, smells worse when backing uphill, and my wife hasn't yet learned the technique. The only thing I really care about is that it functions properly. What I can't seem to see an answer to is: is this simply a problem of smelling bad or is it a sign that something more disastrous will happen later?

• 2 weeks later...

For all,

Got my car back today after having the regional master tech replace the clutch disk, flywheel, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing. All I can say is that this is the way the car should have come from the factory.

Engagement is precise, shifts feel like butter and I don't yet have any "stink" to go along with the drive.

Quick background:

At ~1500 miles my clutch "locked' on takeoff from a dead stop, locking halfway between engaged/disengaged. On a ~1500 rpm launch, it slipped like crazy all the way to redline with no forward motion and stunk up the car so bad for two days, that I almost puked every time I smelled it. rossodave has also experienced this phenomenom.

Subsequent low rpm launches have resulted in the same behavior and was totally unpredictable. Safety issue in my mind.

Brought this to the attention of the dealer/master tech who immediately ordered a new clutch "system". By the way, did you know that SACHS makes the clutch and pressure plate for the LGT/OBXT? OEM BMW provider.

Clutch was replaced today and I also mentioned that my STI STS/tranny was grinding between upshifts, predominantly 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 but never while downshifting. If you held the clutch in for an inordinate amount of time, it seemed to shift fine but you could not do a normal shift (cold or warm) without some grinding. Tech thought that the shaft that the clutch was running on may need some grease and indicated that he would check it.

Diagnosis: Faulty clutch disk/plate.

Master tech seems to think that the clutch disk might have some ceramic "content" to it. After he mentioned this, a memory light went on and I recalled that the smell of burnt ceramic isolators has a smell very similar to what we smell with the clutch "stink." So this may be the root cause of "stench".

Master tech said that he found hardly any dust in the bell housing leading him to believe that it was more plate than disk issue as there were 2-3 hotspots on the plate. And our clutch assemblies are "push" style clutches versus the "pull" style on the WRX and STI.

He also commented that our clutches are built extremely well, certainly as strong as anything he's seen in the Subaru line up... read equivalent to the STI in torque handling.

The drive home was wonderful. Clutch pedal disengaged and reengaged with no takeup issues whatsoever. He did change out the tranny fluid and remarked that the magnetic plug had very little grind wear on it so he thinks the tranny is okay and good to go.

Also, the tranny is the reinforced transmission that the WRX now gets. But the shifter gates were absolute silk, so much so that I had to check it a couple times to make sure it going into gear. No balking, grinding, or stiffness in the the throws. Very Acura smooth, without and overt BMW snick/snick feel.

Prognosis:

Complete recovery. Clutch engages the way a clutch should, there is no stink (even backed it up my long driveway, trying to slip it just a little to generate some smell - nothing I could detect at all, and the shifter now shifts the way I always thought it could.

I've probably forgotten something so fire away and I'll try to respond.

SBT

Looks like you covered it in depth. Twice. ;)

Yeah, not sure how I double posted but thank goodness it's deletable.

SBT

Comments from the invoice:

"Tear down for inspection found clutch failure. Further inspection during repairs found bolts to turbo and clutch slave mountings siezed. Replaced clutch assembly after extracting seized bolts."

Part numbers: (Read - QTY / NUMBER / DESCRIPTION)

1 / 30100AA810 / DISK CP CLUTCH

1 / 30210AA550 / COVER CP CLUTCH (Believe the TOB is included in this item)

1 / 12345AA010 / FLYWHEEL DUAL MASS (Believe the PB is included in this item)

1 / 800910340 / STUD

1 / 44059AA010 / BOLT

1 / 010110250 / FLANGE BOLT

1 / 802008270 / NUT

5 / 902370029 / NUT

Dealer that did the repairs was Rancho Subaru.

Address is: 8118 Clairemont Mesa Blvd, San Diego, CA 92111

Phone number is: 858-278-7100

Guest turboman
Comments from the invoice:

"Tear down for inspection found clutch failure. Further inspection during repairs found bolts to turbo and clutch slave mountings siezed. Replaced clutch assembly after extracting seized bolts."

Part numbers: (Read - QTY / NUMBER / DESCRIPTION)

1 / 30100AA810 / DISK CP CLUTCH

1 / 30210AA550 / COVER CP CLUTCH (Believe the TOB is included in this item)

1 / 12345AA010 / FLYWHEEL DUAL MASS (Believe the PB is included in this item)

1 / 800910340 / STUD

1 / 44059AA010 / BOLT

1 / 010110250 / FLANGE BOLT

1 / 802008270 / NUT

5 / 902370029 / NUT

This is fabulous news!! Would you be willing to post your dealers name and address in the forum. Another dealer would be leary without being able to contact the dealer to confirm.

Only question I would ask was were the seized bolts the problem that caused the symptom? The new clutch obviously corrected the stink. But others of us might not have the "seized bolts problem" that was the reason the clutch was changed (pedal stuck down...).

Sure would appreciate as much info as you can give us. Thanks again.:):):):)

At ~1500 miles my clutch "locked' on takeoff from a dead stop, locking halfway between engaged/disengaged. On a ~1500 rpm launch, it slipped like crazy all the way to redline with no forward motion and stunk up the car so bad for two days, that I almost puked every time I smelled it. rossodave has also experienced this phenomenom.

Subsequent low rpm launches have resulted in the same behavior and was totally unpredictable. Safety issue in my mind.

SBT

So is the new clutch an newly designed part or simply a replacement of the original. I have had the same problem with my clutch. The first time it happened was taking off on a hill and I was stuck in the middle of the intersection with the RPM's pegged. I quickly shifted into 2nd and it took off but certainly fried the clutch. It has happend two other times to this extent. One was on another hill and the other was in snow. I also get the usual milder form of stink when stuck in traffic or parking my car. I'm taking my car in Monday so I'm going to report this as well and see what they want to do.

So is the new clutch an newly designed part or simply a replacement of the original. I have had the same problem with my clutch. The first time it happened was taking off on a hill and I was stuck in the middle of the intersection with the RPM's pegged. I quickly shifted into 2nd and it took off but certainly fried the clutch. It has happend two other times to this extent. One was on another hill and the other was in snow. I also get the usual milder form of stink when stuck in traffic or parking my car. I'm taking my car in Monday so I'm going to report this as well and see what they want to do.

Don't know but I expect that it's just a replacement part since the Subaru tech line has nothing about either the clutch stink issue or the partial engagement issues. I'd bet your flywheel has some hotspots on it too.

SBT

Ok guys, Subietronic and Outback XT, I have _exactly_ the problem you guys described. I took it to the dealer today, and after waiting for about 3 hours they were completely dismissive of my claims. In fact I also have a brake vibration problem, and they almost sent me out of there with a "could not reproduce" on that as well but I made them go out and drive the car AGAIN. This time they said they found vibration after they "warmed up" the brakes.. what a joke, my commute is so short my brakes are almost always cold, and it does it always. Not to mention I've found other people on here that have had a sticking clutch problem.. I bet everyone with a stinky clutch has it to some degree. I even brought a print out of this thread, but it's like they couldn't read.

Outback XT - please let me know what your dealer says.

I am meeting with the SOA regional guy on Tuesday. I got caught in bad traffic on I-95 last week - 1 hour to move three miles. No stink. Good news is that it may have gone away (finally). I will still take the time to meet with him and go over the issue, if only to help everyone else out.

Guest turboman
Ok guys, Subietronic and Outback XT, I have _exactly_ the problem you guys described. I took it to the dealer today, and after waiting for about 3 hours they were completely dismissive of my claims. In fact I also have a brake vibration problem, and they almost sent me out of there with a "could not reproduce" on that as well but I made them go out and drive the car AGAIN. This time they said they found vibration after they "warmed up" the brakes.. what a joke, my commute is so short my brakes are almost always cold, and it does it always. Not to mention I've found other people on here that have had a sticking clutch problem.. I bet everyone with a stinky clutch has it to some degree. I even brought a print out of this thread, but it's like they couldn't read.

Outback XT - please let me know what your dealer says.

My '02 WRX had exactly the same pulsating pedal. The dealer replaced the front rotors without the slightest hestitation, with 35,000 miles on it. He said the pads weren't worn enough to qualify for replacement. Rotors are covered on the 36,000 mile warranty. Go to a different dealer.

Sorry I couldn't complete this entry when I stated it yesterday. Lost my cursor for some reason.

I am meeting with the SOA regional guy on Tuesday. I got caught in bad traffic on I-95 last week - 1 hour to move three miles. No stink. Good news is that it may have gone away (finally). I will still take the time to meet with him and go over the issue, if only to help everyone else out.

So did you have yours replaced or are you still on the original clutch.

I'll find out what the dealer says on Monday when I take mine in. I don't have a lot of time for them to mess around as they are installing the in cabin air filter. It will probably be the first one they retrofit so it may take them a while. So I may just bring it back in to have them look at the clutch another time. I at least want it on record that I'm experiencing the problem.

Okay,

I'm a week later, post replacement clutch and to date, no clutch slip (partial engagement issue) or stink. So that's a week of normal driving and a weekend of spirited mountain driving with absolutely no reappearance of either. Would say that this closes the case for me.

SBT

I was at my dealer yesterday for a retro fit in cabin air filter and to complain about my clutch. All I wanted was to get it on record that I was experiencing problems knowing that they would deny it. And of course they blamed it on driver error. But the one thing that was said which surprised me was that the service rep said "You've got to realize that you are dealing with a lot of power and that clutch is just a little disk." I'm going to write Subaru of America as well who will of course send me back to the dealer. But that line from the rep is precious as it screams out design flaw!

Subietonic, I'm glad that things are going well for you. My rep said that they had no new part out to his knowledge. Maybe they are changing things on a small scale and not letting all the dealerships know about it yet as they could be preparing for a recall. I believe that it could be that serious since the clutch has left me in an intersection a couple of times now while taking off on a hill.

Archived