LegacyGT.com

Stinky Clutch Solution!!! *READ*

I have owned many clutches. I learned how to drive on a clutch over 10 years ago. Mechanics will tell you the test your clutch in 5th gear. Of course it is going to just stall out, but the difference is how it stalls out. If your clutch is worn it will shake violently and then stall out. If its in good condition, the engine just cuts off with no violent shake. I should have made that more clear for those who don't know the difference. My apologies.

I am just curious,

I just had my clutch replaced and it's been 1,000 miles. I have heard of the 5th gear test so I tried it. I was on level ground and I pushed in the clutch and put it 5th gear. Without using gas I slowly let up the clutch and the car started to move and then it cut off. It didn't shake. Should it move or just cut off if the clutch is in good condition?

:confused:

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sadly i found another (hopefully) solution to STINKY clutch. while attempting U-turn, shoulder of highway gave way. car sank to the frame,wedging something between engine and bell housing;quickly bringing everything to an abrupt halt.

engine and transmission DOA. sad,sad day indeed...

I am just curious,

I just had my clutch replaced and it's been 1,000 miles. I have heard of the 5th gear test so I tried it. I was on level ground and I pushed in the clutch and put it 5th gear. Without using gas I slowly let up the clutch and the car started to move and then it cut off. It didn't shake. Should it move or just cut off if the clutch is in good condition?

:confused:

As long as it didn't shudder or shake, your clutch is fine....if it pulls forward and shuts off with no shaking, then your clutch is working properly

• 3 weeks later...

I am very late to this discussion and forum. I purchased my LGT about a year ago used. Its '05 with 19k miles. While driving away from the previous owner, he said, "watch out, the clutch sticks." As soon as I got it I knew the clutch was funky. I have owned all sticks in my life (Passat GLX, '97 Audi 1.8t, 2002 Audi 1.8t, G35 6-speed). This clutch is very hard to control. The clutch constantly stinks. I cannot pull into my inclined driveway without a stink. Like others I have learned to adapt. I now put the car in 1st and pull into my driveway alot faster than I would prefer (risking hitting a mirror) so that I won't have to use the clutch. I rarely give any gas while starting from a stand still (which equals to boring driving!). I usually make sure the clutch is fully engaged before I try to give it any REAL gas. I had a feeling I would find others like me (but secretly hoping it was a known Subaru problem).

Lastly, I will mentioned about the clutch sticking problem. I had a near catastrophic accident on I-95 in Maryland. We were in stop and go traffic. Offcoarse the lane to the left of me is empty and moving so I decide to switch. Well, I give it some gas so I won't cut anyone off or get rear ended. So I'm letting clutch out fine like I always do and giving it some gas. In truth I was trying to get a fast take off because of my situation...but nothing crazy like dropping the clutch above 3-4k rpm. Anyways, point is the clutch was all the way up SOOO I PUT MY FOOT ALL THE WAY DOWN on the gas. What happened next was horrifying. The car was not going anywhere, the rpms were near red, and cars were about to rear end me! I quickly pushed in the clutch and tried second which got me moving but not quickly. It did get me moving enough that I was not hit by anyone. I know all the cars withing a 400ft radius smelled something fierce!!! While driving home I was swearing, cursing, and wondering if my clutch would make it another day. To this day it hasn't happened again. Not because its not faulty but because I am scared to do any driving that involves the normal use of the clutch. I go out of my way to avoid the clutch.

I am posting because I plan to take it to a dealer this week for servicing and to have the clutch inspected. I just moved to VA, so if anyone recommends a good dealer I am listening. I will also post what the outcome is of my visit.

• 2 weeks later...
Just my 2 cents, but I owned a 2002 Audi A4 Quttro 5-speed before my legacy and it stink it up just like the legacy. I had the clutch replaced around 40,000 miles and it stunk too! I just figured it had something to do with AWD cars and the effort to engage all four wheels. who knows, but I'm interest in getting my clutch replaced if it takes the stink away.

• 5 months later...

I found an Australian forum and they have same problem (also for me, Legacy 2.0R European version 2007). Solution: replacing with Forester XT clutch.

Here it's the link:

http://forums.mrtperformance.com.au/showthread.php?t=3315

Really now: why Subaru don't accept this reality? It's hapen. I know, it's hard, but, sometime need to accept to loose.

It seems like majority of the members who replied to this thread has 05/06 LGT's, does that mean SOA might be using new material for the 07'/08'? I hope they fixed it by now, I didnt notice the stink when I was test driving a 08' but i was really gentle and slip the clutch around 1k rpms only.

I just bought an 08 and in one week of driving, I was able to stink up the clutch one time. It happened when I slipped the clutch at around 2500 rpms... I pretty much take off at 1500 rpms and the stink has not happened again.

I think it's just the material that Subaru uses (I think I read some where that the OEM maker is Sachs ??). My previous car (Acura RSX-S) had no stink at 2500-3000 rpms. However, my VW passat before had similar issues. It will occasionally stink when slipping around 2500 to 3000 rpms. The VW OEM clutch was also made by Sachs. I don't think it's a big deal besides the smell obviously. My Passat had 48,000 miles on the clutch before I sold it and the clutch seemed perfectly fine at that point.

why would u be slipping the clutch at 2500rpms? When I start the car off in 1st gear Im usually never past 1500rpms, I try to stay right around 1000rpms-1500rpms when slipping the clutch

The one time in the SpecB, I wasn't paying attention. It was only for about a second or so, but still enough to generate a the stink. Still trying to get use to driving a high torque car after coming from a low torque car. In my RSX, I would take off at 2500 to 3000 rpms when driving aggressively. I would slip the clutch for just a little bit. A little smoother and yes, it would wear the clutch out a little sooner. Never seem to be a big deal with the Honda clutch though.

• 2 years later...

Just had my local auto shop to have the clutch freeplay changed. Bad stinker since new. Dealer or manufacturer no help.

Got an engine/tranny service book from Subaru. There's a page that describes how to set freeplay. I explained what I wanted to the mechanic. There is an adjustable clutch rod under the dash. It has a lock nut that enables a longer clutch "swing" and it pushes the hyd. clutch rod deeper. No more stink. It must not have been fully engaged causing slipping.

Also we adjusted the safety switch so the pedal didn't have to be pushed through the floor so the engine can crank. Now there's room for floormatts.

• 8 years later...

Archived