LegacyGT.com

GI: Anyone want a FMIC for your '10 LGT?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you want one?

I'm going to guess for the "cool look" purposes....which I'm not against by any means... just a lot of money for a "look".

Maybe some think that a FMIC would give them more power just by putting it on?...... dunnoh. (I'm excluding the few here that have such upgrades that it becomes necessary of course.)

Im an enabler.

I think a friend near me with a fabrication business wants to make one so I may be his guinea pig. He's built intercoolers before but not where he'll have to rework my entire front end like how SomeZero did.

Why do you want one?

I plan on building mine. I know probably most people don't want to our just can't build theirs. I agree they are amazing from the factory, but I want to and enjoy building cars. And I like to pick platforms that aren't "the top choice" to work on. I also have a 2012 WRX, but I'd much rather build my GT.

I'm going to guess for the "cool look" purposes....which I'm not against by any means... just a lot of money for a "look".

Maybe some think that a FMIC would give them more power just by putting it on?...... dunnoh. (I'm excluding the few here that have such upgrades that it becomes necessary of course.)

I agree that a lot of people do it to look cool. But like you said, there are times it's out of necessity. I'm not going to start putting a lot of work and money into an engine that isn't set up to handle it. It's much more expensive to have a custom one made.

I have some strong temptation here but I don't know if I can drink the Kool-Aid just yet. Someone enable me.....

With your setup you are definitely leaving some power on the table particularly in the upper RPMs. An upgraded turbo needs a FMIC to really get the most out of it.

One thing as of lately that been the topic of discussion on my local forum is numerous guys 400+hp have converted back to TMIC over FMIC when autoXing. Way I see is even the 20g a few have our tmic is plenty efficient and the fmic may give 15-35wtq but how soon is anyone going to break the 400 barrier is the question to then almost deem it necessary for this. Just a thought.

One thing as of lately that been the topic of discussion on my local forum is numerous guys 400+hp have converted back to TMIC over FMIC when autoXing. Way I see is even the 20g a few have our tmic is plenty efficient and the fmic may give 15-35wtq but how soon is anyone going to break the 400 barrier is the question to then almost deem it necessary for this. Just a thought.

I'm just as interested in seeing how it impacts spool time with a FMIC and bottom mount turbo as I am in reducing heat soak.

I went from 315/319 to 335/343 so the biggest gains are not at the peak numbers. I gained close to 50 from 5k-7k. The RacerX top mount couldn't keep up past 5k. It was very rewarding to feel it pull hard all the way to redline after all the work I put into my front mount setup.:D

When I autoxed my STi w/ 20g, I had a FMIC because the TMIC would heatsoak waaaay too much while sitting in grid waiting between runs. Granted, with the turbo right next to the TMIC, that did not help the heatsoak issue any either, lol

Both are good to know. New engine that's in I wont be afraid to spin to 8k, just depends if I want to gear a turbo for quick spool or go slightly bigger and hope for the HP to pull up top like ebo03 states.

I think the 20G/TD05 is the perfect balance for this car (granted I'm not sure what I'm comparing it too other than stock). You get good up top numbers with the 20G but still have a quick spool because it's only a TD05 turbine not the larger TD06.

Archived