LegacyGT.com

2010 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition announced

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2009/11/2010-subaru-wrx-sti-special-edition-to-debut-at-2009-la-auto-show.html

Cliff notes: You get Spec C wheel, but have to give up HIDs, climate control, 6CD changer and 6 speakers!!! :lol::lol::lol::spin:

If you don't quite know your Subarus, your first reaction to the 2010 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition debuting at the 2009 Los Angeles Auto Show will be, "OMG. We're getting a Spec C."

Then, you'd look behind those spiffy, graphite-finish, 18-by-8.5-inch wheels and realize the STI Spec C's telltale gold brake calipers are nowhere to be found. Nor the stickier Bridgestone Potenza RE070 tires. Nor the upgraded rear differential. Nor the coveted JDM Recaro seats. Nor the water sprayer for the intercooler. You get the idea.

So this isn't a Spec C, but weak as the dollar is against the yen, Subaru probably imagines that few of us would actually pay the price for the real deal.

But the wheels are real. And the 125 WRX STI Special Editions built for the U.S. market have a suspension "adopted from the Japanese domestic market WRX STI spec C," company officials tell us. And to that end, the STI Special Edition has 16-percent stiffer front springs than the regular STI, 29-percent firmer rear dampers, stiffer rear subframe bushings, and a 1mm thicker rear stabilizer bar.

All Special Editions will be painted Aspen White. They'll be available later, rather than sooner, in the 2010 model year. Subaru will release pricing next week.

More photos of and details on the STI Special Edition after the jump.

We're not expecting the STI Special Edition to cost more than a standard 2010 WRX STI ($35,690), as Subaru has de-contented it, swapping out the HID headlights for halogens, replacing the automatic climate control with manual A/C and dropping the 10-speaker stereo for a very basic four-speaker array.

Also in LA, Subaru will introduce a top-of-the-line Limited model for the standard Impreza WRX line. As in the past, this model features leather upholstery, along with a sunroof and satellite radio.

at least it wont cost anymore then a standard STI. the susp upgrades are really very modest. as beanboy said, unless you are trying to take on AS in scca autox, its really not worth the sacrafice in the other amenities.

its really a shame it didnt come with the recaro seats. if it did, id be all in to swap my LGT seats out..

Sounds neat. Same price but with more performance, less weight and no craptastic HVAC.

Be a bit more competitive in AS for SCCA to boot.

More competitive :eek: I thought the STI was one of the best handing cars in the world - I keep reading things about Subaru that are very disappointing.

I say Subaru should drop the fancy wheels,and the 125 unit limit. Keep the suspension mods. Those changes can't have cost Subaru much. I would be in for a more affordable "stripper" STI.

I know i can live just fine with manual HVAC and upgrade the audio myself if i so choose. Come on Subaru give me a reason to buy my 5th subbie.

USDM always getting shafted. F*** you, SOA...

With the new WRX having VF52 and so much room for power I'd never buy an STI. I'd just get a regular rex and put the extra $7k into suspension, brakes, and 400whp. I can't justify all that extra money for DCCD and LSDs.

its like a evo RS but not cheaper than the regular model. it would make more sense if they commited it to making it a lightweight racer model that was cheaper than the reguler Sti, but they havent configured the car enough to make it worth picking up over the regular sti,

USDM always getting shafted. F*** you, SOA...

With the new WRX having VF52 and so much room for power I'd never buy an STI. I'd just get a regular rex and put the extra $7k into suspension, brakes, and 400whp. I can't justify all that extra money for DCCD and LSDs.

For 7 grand, you might be able to do the whole thing.

Especially with a used, or hold-over 09 model, pulling the budget down further.

STI take off parts, from wrecks and tuner upgrades...

Transaxle and rear diff swap... bilsteins, black or gold brembos, good aftermarket springs and sways, 5x114 hub conversion... Then maybe the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes could be on par for a 400hp engine tune-up.

Still doesn't fix the inherently bland and blunt looks, even of the GR-sedan.

I guess we'll see what the Subaru coupe is going to look like... Maybe it will have that stuff installed, or such a swap can be done there.

Archived