LegacyGT.com

Not only is the GT-R the best car EVAR, it is reliable and

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does the E92 M3 with SMG require with kind of expense when servicing?

It is lifetime fluid.

By lifetime of course it means the life of the SMG box. If it fails and leaves your ass stranded at 1 mile over warranty, that is the lifetime of the SMG and should be replaced entirely.

I inspected the botom of the ATF pan on our BMW-built Mini and it too, states lifetime fluid on a neat little sticker.

Dumb shits.

It is lifetime fluid.

By lifetime of course it means the life of the SMG box. If it fails and leaves your ass stranded at 1 mile over warranty, that is the lifetime of the SMG and should be replaced entirely.

I inspected the botom of the ATF pan on our BMW-built Mini and it too, states lifetime fluid on a neat little sticker.

Dumb shits.

More and more manufacturers are doing that. My Toyota Tundra has a "lifetime" fill for the transmission as well. If you look it up though the service manual calls for checking the level and condition of the fluid every 100K or so. Screw that shit. I'll be getting it changed and flushed at 50K. I figure it's cheap insurance.

More and more manufacturers are doing that. My Toyota Tundra has a "lifetime" fill for the transmission as well. If you look it up though the service manual calls for checking the level and condition of the fluid every 100K or so. Screw that shit. I'll be getting it changed and flushed at 50K. I figure it's cheap insurance.

That sh1t isn't cheap, though. Roughly $8/quart which isn't a lot compared to some stuff but compared to an old Corolla using Dex/Merc it's pricey. And it requires a few specific steps being done. Like having the car at a specific operating temp and actually using a scan tool in conjunction with the service. I'm not 100% sure on what they do with it, just that something needs to be reset/flashed as it's being done. Now if you wanna talk expensive, ask about OEM gear lube on a 08-09 Tundra with rear LSD. It's like $65-75 per quart.:spin:

Now if you wanna talk expensive, ask about OEM gear lube on a 08-09 Tundra with rear LSD. It's like $65-75 per quart.:spin:

It's the same stuff that my 07 Tundra takes (same model 2nd Gen Tundra started with 2007 model year). Also you should be aware that the 2nd gen Tundra doesn't have a mechanical limited slip, instead it uses an electronic (brake activated) limited slip, kind of like fancy traction control. Additionally there is no option for an LSD in the 2nd generation Tundra for either the 9.5" or 10.5" axle.

So you do not need any special LSD additive for the gear lube, or any special gear oil either. I changed out the fluid myself in late August with Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, which incidentally is what is in my new front diff as well according to the work order I have on file from Toyota replacing it under a TSB. Hell greasing the drive shaft zercs and changing the rear diff fluid is the easiest service I've done on the truck. Oil changes on this thing piss me off.... removing skid plates, draining oil filter housings, trying to fit 7.5-8 quarts of used oil in a 6 quart drain pan...:spin:

I'll have to remember to recommend the M1 to anyone who asks. The people will crap themselves when I tell them the price of the OEM fluid.

The stupid part is that the OEM fluid is pretty much the same as the M1.:lol:

Grab an owners manual and see what it calls for: 3.8 to 4.0 quarts, gear oil 75W-85. You can't find 75W-85 anywhere it seems, so just use 75W-90. Just like "Genuine Toyota Motor Oil", what a crock of shit. Toyota sticks their name on some other oil made to their spec then charges more for it that it would cost to buy on a shelf someplace else.:lol:

For owners that plan on towing heavy a lot they might even try the 75W-140 severe gear oil.

There is no such thing as lifetime fluids. Just ask rao.

How often do you go in for a blood transplant ?

It seems to me that if your body can survive around 75 years of abuse with the same 8 pints of blood, it must be good enough for my car. Therefore I will be visiting the local bloodbank next time I need a fluid change.

Pay to play. People with REAL disposable income don't care about a $2K service. It costs $10K to fill my girlfriend's dad's boat with gas. On a two week trip that was $30K in gasoline. I could have bought a new spec b for that. Perspective is a bitch.

Pay to play. People with REAL disposable income don't care about a $2K service. It costs $10K to fill my girlfriend's dad's boat with gas. On a two week trip that was $30K in gasoline. I could have bought a new spec b for that. Perspective is a bitch.

Marry this girl. Just make sure her dad doesn't spend all your inheritance money on the boat.

Guest heightsgtltd

:rolleyes:

The difference is people with REAL money would never buy a GT-R. It's priced and positioned as an aspirational purchase for people, people who as they are aspiring are not expecting to pay thousands of dollars for parts and service

and

Marry this girl and fail when she asks to be taken on trips that cost $30,000 a couple dozen times a year.

:lol:

Marry this girl and fail when she asks to be taken on trips that cost $30,000 a couple dozen times a year.

That is what her old man is for... ponying up the dough for these trips!;)

The hubby just gets to tag along. Assuming rich dad approves!

Wow, $2,000 at under 20K miles for routine maintenance. That's gotta hurt....

Plus 4 days of downtime! I guess most people who can afford the car and maintenence can also afford to take their Rolls-Royce out of dry storage for 4 days while the GT-R is in the shop.....

Damn white collar fools..... :lol:;)

Honestly If i had the coin to purchase something of this price range it would likely be a used porsche turbo with a standard transmission. Not this electronic wizardry bullshit.

If i had this type of money and wanted a street/tuner car it would be and will always be supra.

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Archived