LegacyGT.com

ERZ Catted DP

istealfrombums

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I had a coilpack come loose after my Turbo install and had some backfiring going on. It seems like it is fine as tuning has progressed and the car feels great. Just figured I would ask since the topic had come up.

MSprank don't forget to mention that my DP you wrapped a year ago you helped me shop out and you put on my car the better part of a year before that. Ive had it wrapped and not wrapped. Very happy with the DP. Any desire to put a "name brand' on the car would be based purely on ego in my instance and be utterly pointless.

isn't it much better to have the cat further from turbo ?

I'm happy with the catalytic underhood on a wrapped or unwrapped DP. I had the same kind of questions and concerns a while back but the CNT leaves plenty of room between the firewall and everything else. In fact, the cat tucks in quite nicely with plenty of room and is no longer under the car to take a debris impact (I hit a compressed tank ejected from a firetruck on the freeway once:eek:).

so it looks like I can get CNT brand spanking new for the price of used Cobb DP. How is the fitment especially to the stock piping ?

Fitment is a good as any major brand. CNT offers a 100% fit guarantee. Have an issue and they pay for return shipping and replace with a new pipe.

Fitment is a good as any major brand. CNT offers a 100% fit guarantee. Have an issue and they pay for return shipping and replace with a new pipe.

While I didn't have a fit issue, there was some quality control issues with my first piece and just like msprank says, they paid for return shipping and got me a new DP very quickly.

Cheers!

I picked up a CNT catted DP last month, and hope to install it this weekend. I may be putting too much thought into it, but I can't decide if/how I should wrap it.

I've been told you shouldn't wrap a catalytic converter, so I was going to wrap the top portion of the pipe down to the cat, and then the rest of the pipe after the cat. But with the cat so far up on the pipe, I wonder if it's even worth it to wrap the top part of the pipe and not the cat. I also wonder how you treat the top O2 sensor bung, which I will have plugged. Do you wrap over that, or just around it?

Part of our annual emissions test here is the inspector is supposed to visually inspect your car to make you have a cat in place. If I was to wrap it, I wonder how much convincing I would have to do to make them believe it's there, you just can't really see it?

No way to wrap the entire cat as the design causes the wrap to slip. When wrapping the bellmouth leave the extra bung exposed. Never know when you might want to use it. OEM cats have heat shields. Wrap not keeping that much extra heat in at that point. Generally the top and bottom of the cat are exposed so some heat escapes no matter what.

Hi flow cat dos not look anything like what most inspectors are used to seeing. It is round and shiny, not flat and dirty.

Thanks for the tips, Mike!

Sounds like I will stick with my original plan of wrapping the bellmouth and the lower part of the dp.

Looking forward now to installing it. Should be an easy swap to replace the catless dp I have now.

M sprank, thanks for saving me some cash on my DP. I finally got it installed a week ago and it is now starting to rattle. I did some poking around and feel like I've honed in the cat being the source of the rattle. Is this a normal as it breaks in?

Thanks for any info.

M sprank, thanks for saving me some cash on my DP. I finally got it installed a week ago and it is now starting to rattle. I did some poking around and feel like I've honed in the cat being the source of the rattle. Is this a normal as it breaks in?

Thanks for any info.

Check the 02 bung screw cap located on the bellmouth part of your downpipe make sure it's tight and not loose. This should fix your rattling issue.

Archived