LegacyGT.com

TOYOBARU REVEALLED (Tokyo concept!)

SUBARUCAN.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add AWD and the STi turbo engine and it's good to go as a Subaru.

It's actually not too far from the original XT when it comes to design novelty.

RWD will work for those who are living with perfect roads and good weather all year.

And if it's going as a Toyota it looks like it's replacing the MR2 (or be the next generation MR2).

and next generation boxer engine.. hopefully that means DI.. and a higher redline.. would love to hear this car scream at 12K

Fixed! :p

453747.png

i love this car but this is going to be ricers first choice due to the price tag..... this will become toyobaru's answer to the civic SI which is pretty much ricemobile of all time

One of the problem with these "high performance" NA engines is they are deprived of torque.

Driving a torque starved car is awful as a daily mobile, not to mention you have to wring em out to get em going.

A good solution would be to drop the economy oriented Impreza GT engine in there

And if it's going as a Toyota it looks like it's replacing the MR2 (or be the next generation MR2).

Front engined, rear drive is not a replacement for an MR2, even if the engine is behind the front axle line. and if it is behind the front axle line, it will never be able to accept AWD from other current Subarus, and that is certainly what it is looking like.

MR2 is defined by being mid-engined. I would LOVE that car, a mid-engined RWD Subaru powered car. I have thought about putting a Subaru drivetrain under an SW20 2nd Generation MR2. (and ultimately decided a used Boxster, and someday a used Cayman would be the better value, and not require any hacking on a 15+ year old car.)

This is called FT-86 for a reason. It is the successor to AE86, and maybe the old '80s RWD Celicas. The AE86 was the last of the rear drive Corollas before they and the celica went FWD in the 80s.

AE86 Corolla was not even really a performance car. It was an economy car, with a RWD drivetrain, and a live axle from their tiny pickup truck. Later on, the trend became more common to hop them up a little, since they were cheap, and accepted RWD hop-up parts, and engine swaps, and still performed like a RWD car.

Seems unfortunately fitting, if Toyota is using this new FT-86 as an "eco-car" that happens to be a bit fun for people, as a secondary effect.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/subaru-sti-coupe-ha-620op.jpgId hit this!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/13/rendered-speculation-subarus-250-hp-ft-86-coupe-in-sti-trim/

While the concepts I've seen are awfully damned hot looking, I just don't get why people get worked up over it being RWD as opposed to Subies AWD system. If you want a RWD turbo coupe there are already a couple of options with one of them being the Solstice hardtop coupe, and the Hyundai whatever-its-called.

It is a retro throwback to the Toyota AE86 Corolla. Toyota is trying to re-introduce this new coupe as a car in the same idiom as that old RWD Corolla.

Google result:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/113/289282405_0b4a33ab59.jpg

I kinda wish they had re-introduced the styling, as well. That is kind of a sharp little car, and not as odd looking as the new concept's lines.

It looks like they shunted the front end of the 2010 Legacy, with the back end of the 2009 Impreza.

Hard to tell with all the camoflage, but first impressions say it's not going to be pretty :mad:

What do you expect? Subaru is the "I hate the way it looks and by the time I kinda like it they change it again" style company. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived