LegacyGT.com

New style STI or BMW 335xi?????

Magowin

I've not heard of any 3 liter turbo BMW's blowing up an engine, trans, or any other driveline part that was not modified. Of course it's pretty rare in 'brus too.

The 3 liter turbo BMW motor is in a lot of cars now, and it's a real workhorse, not to say the 2.5 liter STi motor isn't in a ton of cars too, but BMW knows about turbo's.

Contrary to popular belief BMW has been doing turbo's for years, just not in the US.

Both great cars, the WRX is a huge value for performance dollar at 27k, nearing 40k for the STI is just not in my deck of cards.

Have fun

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've not heard of any 3 liter turbo BMW's blowing up an engine, trans, or any other driveline part that was not modified. Of course it's pretty rare in 'brus too.

Most owners are having to replace their Fuel Pump multiple times due to Ethanol in Premium gas (E10).

That being said, I'd still buy one.

Some high pressure fuel pumps were replaced for a variety of reasons, bimmerfest has surveyed and it's far from most owners. I don't think the jury is in with the cause yet.

My hpfp has never faultered, we also have a 535 at the company neither of them has had any problems using whatever fuel we happen to put in.

I don't expect to have any problems with my future GT either; 'bru and bmw build very robust cars with long life expectancies. Funny thing at US enthusiast sites is the "worry" about the short lives of BMW turbo engines, you don't hear that from many in the Subaru community, my first turbo GL10 in 1990 (?) had 200k on the all stock motor when the kid that owned it last contacted me.

We had 150k on our first turbo BMW before we sold it.

• 3 weeks later...
I commented earlier that I would go with a new STI; this used '08 doesn't seem like a real great deal, however.

Not sure why so many guys here dislike the new STI. I love the look but then I drive a wagon already.

STi Sedan option should be included in the line up the Hatch is just not attractive to me. But for Funboy road racers I guess it is t3h shizzz:lol:

I love the GD body but the GM body I cant get jiggy wit:eek:

I bought an 08 STI last year and regret not buying the beamer. I love the looks and utility of the sti and the sportiness. I've driven a new M3 and feel the sti 's handling capabilities are better however the overall feel of the BMW is just no comparison. Also, I don't hear about the Beamers motors blowing up as frequent either. As much $ as its cost me this last summer, I could have just bought my BMW and not looked back. :( oh well. Learn from my mistake.

I'm currently tearing down my STI, returning it to stock and selling it. After our 07 is paid off and no more car bills, I'll probably pick up a beamer or something similar.

OH NOOOOSSSSSSS:eek:

STi Sedan option should be included in the line up the Hatch is just not attractive to me. But for Funboy road racers I guess it is t3h shizzz:lol:

I love the GD body but the GM body I cant get jiggy wit:eek:

2011 STI will have a sedan option according to SOA reps who have seen it.

lol wat

haha i really thought you would have been swayed towards the 335 based on this thread. but congrats on the car. hope you enjoy. did you get it new?

It's used an 08 with 8k miles. Got it for 27.8k. Didn't feel like leasing the 335xi rather own the car. My insurance was surprisingly low for the year. It's $1609 for the year for both the STI and the Del Sol. The STI has full coverage and Del Sol has liability.

It's used an 08 with 8k miles. Got it for 27.8k. Didn't feel like leasing the 335xi rather own the car. My insurance was surprisingly low for the year. It's $1609 for the year for both the STI and the Del Sol. The STI has full coverage and Del Sol has liability.

wow....that much? I paid $29k new for my '08

Perrin CAI, Perrin Full Length DP with Cat and Magnaflow Cat Back exhaust. He peaked at 330whp but the torque curve was all over the place so he brought it down to 317whp.

For comparison my Legacy had Perrin TMIC, Cobb Pulley, K&N Typhoon, Megan Racing Headers with integrated UP, PLtek Shorty DP and Borla Cat Back exhaust.

Archived