LegacyGT.com

New style STI or BMW 335xi?????

Magowin

I'm selling my Legacy to my dad cause I'm sick of the handling and braking and I'm down to either getting the BMW 335xi or the new style STI. Which do you guys think I should get? I searched here already but it's always been Legacy GT vs BMW 335xi that's why I posted this.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely different cars.

Raw vs. Cultured.

Both are fast, the STI has a slight edge, is lighter and has a better AWD system for the winters. The 335xi is beautiful, smooth, won't feel bumps (STI is harsh), but the price difference is huge (unless you are shopping for a 2007).

Women will prefer the 335xi.

Men will prefer the STI.

I'd prefer the 2010 Audi S4 haha. Real AWD + Equally as fast motor + better looks + vectoring rear LSD.

I've driven two rwd 335's. One manual, one auto. Both Vishnu tuned. I own an '08 STI with Stg II mods and Ohlins suspension. I used to own an '05 LGT with Bilsteins and Brembo's. Without a doubt, the 08 STI in stock form handled better than my modded LGT and has as much room (except in the hatch area).

The 335 is sublime....typical BMW mix of handling and ride comfort. It's very refined and that insulates you from the experience. I found both cars 'boring' despite nearly 400hp.

Hmmm. Just out of curiosity, how old are you? When I see someone young in a high end Bimmer I cringe. One of the reasons I love Subarus is that they are not at all pretentious, but still fun and attractive. I like the 335xi, but I don't like what it represents (excess). Then again, I was reaised Quaker.

I haven't really researched this but isn't a new 335xi at least $5K more than the STI?

I could afford either, but I will go with an STI for my next car. I'm hoping for 2011 or 2012 they have one that is putting out more than the current 305 HP.

do you get a lot of snow making awd system that important?

im biased cuz im done with the modding scene, so if awd aint that important id get the comfy bimmer lol. better yet an A5 omnomnom!

We get snow in feet with lots of hills. AWD is vital.

A5 is great but the sunroof doesn't open, it just tilts.

I'm almost 38 just want a change. I was planning on purchasing or leasing a new one of whichever I decided on but the electrician that does work at my dad's job's son is selling an 08 STI with 7200 miles for what he owes which is 29k and it has AP V2 and Perrin DP with Cobb stage II tune. It has all available options except Navi as well. He's bringing it by my house on Sunday for me to check it out. Reason he's selling is because he was given a company car so it's just sitting in his driveway.

Don't overpay! I paid $30,300 out the door on my '08 STI (or the same as that guy's asking price pre-tax). Didn't have the BBS but you can get those on the used market for $1k. The performance parts barely add another $1k so you're not really getting the deal you think you are.

I do believe you can score a new '09 at under $30k right now since the '10's are out

I'd probably get the BMW if the car was a daily driver.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Good luck in the snow w/ the i. I'd be concerned w/ the Xi as well.

I think with the right tires it will do fine. It's got some sort of vdc and traction control etc. People have been driving rear wheel bmws in some very snowy countries in Europe for a long time.

It's definitely not going to do as well as the xi or any subaru, and being tuned isn't going to help, but we'll see how he does. We get some serious snow in this area of western ny, but they also do a really good job taking care of the roads.

this topic may as well be "corvette z06 or maseratti quattroporte?" I mean.. they're 2 totally different cars in severely different price ranges, classes.. hell even the body style is different.

That being said.. go with what you can afford. The 335s are in the 50ks.. if you can afford to throw that kind of cash around more power to you.. I cannot.. but I'd be in a 335i tomorrow if I could.

The STI is a bubble with wheels.. its as ugly as an audiTT.. if they make an sti sedan.. maybe.. but so long as it looks like a tick... I'd say steer clear on looks alone.

oh.. and the silled corolla style doors.. and $.0025 construction quality they did on the interior.. looks like something ford would make in there.. just feels cheap.

btw you can improve the LGT.. a nice brake and suspension upgrade would probably run $3-4k and would dramatically improve the driving experience.

just sayin.. its a lot cheaper than $30-60k

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I test drove a BMW yesterday and the 08 STI today and the BMW didn't impress me at all actually I think I'm going to get the STI. It has more mods than I thought it did. It has a Perrin Cold Air Intake, Kartboy Short Throw Shifter and Carbon Fiber front lip, side skirts and rear lips. Car drove awesome.

so you drove a stock 335 and a modified sti..

apples to rocket ships.. not a fair comparison.

they do have aftermarkets for bmws too ya know.

this whole comparison is apples to dumptrucks.. sti bubble corolla vs refined performance sedan.. no contest..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived