LegacyGT.com

New style STI or BMW 335xi?????

Magowin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm almost 38 just want a change. I was planning on purchasing or leasing a new one of whichever I decided on but the electrician that does work at my dad's job's son is selling an 08 STI with 7200 miles for what he owes which is 29k and it has AP V2 and Perrin DP with Cobb stage II tune.

If you do buy that car, I would have the motor thoroughly checked out pre-purchase. Compression test, etc.

so you drove a stock 335 and a modified sti..

apples to rocket ships.. not a fair comparison.

they do have aftermarkets for bmws too ya know.

this whole comparison is apples to dumptrucks.. sti bubble corolla vs refined performance sedan.. no contest..

The price between new if I went to get a new one is almost 10k how I would want them equipped and me getting this used one saves another 10k so I don't think the BMW is worth the 20k difference. Plus insurance and parts to fix out of warranty would be alot cheaper on the STI.

If it's a play/track car, get the STi and never look back. The BMW is a suit-and-tie daily driver, not a weekend warrior on the race track. If you want a BMW for that, get an M3.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I commented earlier that I would go with a new STI; this used '08 doesn't seem like a real great deal, however.

Not sure why so many guys here dislike the new STI. I love the look but then I drive a wagon already.

maybe cos its an egg with wheels?

and it smells like toyota..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I do believe you can score a new '09 at under $30k right now since the '10's are out

Invoice is $33,730 on a base 2009 STI so even with holdback how do you come up with your figure? I ran a locate and theres plenty still available nationwide but with the 2010 models being the same price, its a no brainer on which to get :)

I'm in the same boat as you. Already drove my friends modded 335xi, its fast but feels tamed.

And i dont think this is ugly at all.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2652/3723403896_e2a8c38e44_b.jpg

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

true, that sti looks sweet. but compared to a bmw, it looks like feet. ;)

335 would be perfect for daily driving, but since it seems a daily driver is already available, i'd go with the sti. i'd be hesitant on buying a modded sti tho

Not for me. Its either one or the other. 400whp legacy is nice, bu not something i'd want to own as my only vehicle.

Invoice is $33,730 on a base 2009 STI so even with holdback how do you come up with your figure? I ran a locate and theres plenty still available nationwide but with the 2010 models being the same price, its a no brainer on which to get :)

A local dealer was offering base 09's for ~28k +TTT

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

new bmws can be purchased with a "cost-free" maintenance program

I'm in the same boat as you. Already drove my friends modded 335xi, its fast but feels tamed.

And i dont think this is ugly at all.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2652/3723403896_e2a8c38e44_b.jpg

it looks good but really the 335 and the STi are totally on differnet ends of the spectrum, as someone mentioned already 335 is more suit-and-tie, if you showed up to that work environment in an STi you'd be laughed at hysterically.

A local dealer was offering base 09's for ~28k +TTT

Good chance they were dealer cars with low miles in the single ks. 9 months ago my buddy picked up a 2008 STi with all the goodies for $29k that was a dealer car. Dealer car is not the right word for it, sorry guys, my current low blood sugar is impairing my thinking :redface:....

id be all over that blue sti.... thing looks sick (and yes, im definately more of a fan of the sedans, but that hatch aint so bad). you cant go wrong w/ the xi if its in your price range, but as mentioned earlier it will be a much more tamed driving experience than an Sti. they pull harder and are flat around corners, well at least thats what im told:)

I'm almost 38 just want a change. I was planning on purchasing or leasing a new one of whichever I decided on but the electrician that does work at my dad's job's son is selling an 08 STI with 7200 miles for what he owes which is 29k and it has AP V2 and Perrin DP with Cobb stage II tune. It has all available options except Navi as well. He's bringing it by my house on Sunday for me to check it out. Reason he's selling is because he was given a company car so it's just sitting in his driveway.

If money is not an issue, I'd go with the BMW. STI is fun I am sure, but to me just isn't as suited to someone 30 and up. Not saying I wouldn't mind having one as a weekend car, but as my main driver I would take the 335 any day.

If money is not an issue, I'd go with the BMW. STI is fun I am sure, but to me just isn't as suited to someone 30 and up. Not saying I wouldn't mind having one as a weekend car, but as my main driver I would take the 335 any day.

+1.

Think of it like this...

The 335 can be STI fast easily (i mean its so close stock as is), and you get the luxury, quality and presence of a BMW.

The STI will never give you the comfort or style of the 335.

Same argument for the LGT vs STI. The LGT could be STI fast w/ some mods, but the STI will never give you Legacy comfort/luxury.

Agreed. Switching the question around. What if you were planning on living in a snowy area, only could have one car to get to and from work, and want to be able to toss your ski gear in and go to the mountains in all weather conditions. 335 or sti?

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 2007 335i and live with 120" of snow per year. To reduce flames here's my other recent cars (02 WRX, 05 LGT Wagon 5M, 911C4, MDX) I'm planning to buy a 2010 GT Limited beacuse yesterday I drove an STi planning to buy it but just can't. My 335i is faster, from low down to 6k it's got more punch and it's brakes are superior for street driving, i don't doubt thos brembo's are large, but look at a 335's brakes they are huge and will haul you and 3 of your family members down from 155 without any complaint.

The STi does not have the steering feel or balance in the corners that the 335 does and the 335 kills it ergonomics not even close with the STi.

Now I don't dislike the STi, but it would have to be 4th car and living in mountains. Don't let the BMW image bug you, they are drivers cars, you can HAMMER on them and they don't care, my 335 has 50k on it and is rock solid with zero unplanned maintenance. I drive it in snow, rain, heat, don't care, it's starts at -20 in Wisconsin and works great on the track.

NOTE: I'm planning to but the LGT limited because I want AWD again, and I totally miss my GT wagon. But the OP asked about STI vs 335 and the 335 is way more car and should be for 10k more.

I bought an 08 STI last year and regret not buying the beamer. I love the looks and utility of the sti and the sportiness. I've driven a new M3 and feel the sti 's handling capabilities are better however the overall feel of the BMW is just no comparison. Also, I don't hear about the Beamers motors blowing up as frequent either. As much $ as its cost me this last summer, I could have just bought my BMW and not looked back. :( oh well. Learn from my mistake.

I'm currently tearing down my STI, returning it to stock and selling it. After our 07 is paid off and no more car bills, I'll probably pick up a beamer or something similar.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

You are right on. 2 yrs ago I wanted andling, speed and some comfort. Now I miss the comfort and looks of the Legacy. What a great car! I miss mine.

+1.

Think of it like this...

The 335 can be STI fast easily (i mean its so close stock as is), and you get the luxury, quality and presence of a BMW.

The STI will never give you the comfort or style of the 335.

Same argument for the LGT vs STI. The LGT could be STI fast w/ some mods, but the STI will never give you Legacy comfort/luxury.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived