LegacyGT.com

legacy gt vs rx-8????

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please, most of us know that the LGT isnt the best car ever, its just good at many tasks not amazing at anything in stock form. We just also know the RX8 isnt that cool :cool:

"05GT Guru: Stating opinion as fact since Dec 2007.":lol:

Please, most of us know that the LGT isnt the best car ever, its just good at many tasks not amazing at anything in stock form. We just also know the RX8 isnt that cool :cool:

It's just better in nearly every performance category than the LGT...and looks better...and drives better...

:D

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

Even single turbo swaps. The renesis is just starting with a higher baseline HP. The 13B, NA form had about...hrm..75 fewer HP (I think the NA FC's were about 160hp, compared to 215 in a RX8). There has been some amount of work at improving durability under boost w/ the Renesis - but even 13B's have problems under boost. I remember, before buying my RX8, browsing the RX7 forums and seeing posts like:

"Yo! I made it to 60,000 miles without a rebuild!!"

and the replies being:

":bs:"

"liar."

etc...

Hey now, I use premix when going on long trips, or during hard driving. :) The oil is injected into the combustion cycle to aide in sealing the apex seals against the housing (keeps compression up). :D

Third Generation RX7's are the ones with problems. And its very understandable if you take a close look. The intercooler is smaller then our stock LGT unit. The radiator is only a bit bigger. It has more vacuum lines then anyone cares to admit. And to top it off, its stuffed into a tiny engine bay with two heat producing turbos, not to mention the exhaust.

The 13B-REW (third gen motor) was a failure prone engine because the third gen RX7 was poorly designed. If you take the 13B-REW and throw it in a second or first gen RX7 they run problem free.

I would like to see how they keep the weight down and make an engine that can propel the car to keep up with some higher end models like the rx7 used to. Except now the higher end cars have lots more power and a 450hp rotary engine would be gas guzzling, and hard working which could turn into unreliable? But i would def like to see it and more so how they correct the problems of the old ones.

News flash, they don't care to! The third gen RX7 was the only all out performance sports car Mazda has ever tried. The first and second RX7s were billed as cheap comfortable sports cars, not all out sports cars. As far as I know the Miata has always been underpowered as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Mazda has in store for their next generation sports car. Rumors are that they will be coming out with a turbo rotary again.

Mazda rumors are usually crap, they are a very secretive company. I would highly doubt a turbo option will be available, the concept engine they released a year back or so was naturally aspirated.

Essentially it was a bigger renesis at 1.6L. The rotors are enlarged in size, but thinner. This will add more strength to the apex seal and add more torque. (The rumors are it may hit 50ft/lbs!) It will have direct injection and they projected 280hp at the crank.

^^^

That's plenty of power if they keep the weight down.

I don't care if it's turbo or not... I come from Hondaland myself, so high revving anemic engines are right up my alley.

When I get a little older and can afford a weekend toy, a Miata / S2000 type of sporty roadster will be at the top of my list of things to acquire.

Then I can hand it off to my daughter when she's ready.:lol:

Third Generation RX7's are the ones with problems. And its very understandable if you take a close look. The intercooler is smaller then our stock LGT unit. The radiator is only a bit bigger. It has more vacuum lines then anyone cares to admit. And to top it off, its stuffed into a tiny engine bay with two heat producing turbos, not to mention the exhaust.

The 13B-REW (third gen motor) was a failure prone engine because the third gen RX7 was poorly designed. If you take the 13B-REW and throw it in a second or first gen RX7 they run problem free.

Then why did both DMP and the other guy cant remember who claim to have tons of problems with there rx8s? Maybe there thousands of dollars in repairs werent associated with the engine?

Some sources claim that poor engien reliability is why mazada changed the 5 year 50kmiles warrenty to 3 years 36kmiles that they use to this day for that car.

Then why did both DMP and the other guy cant remember who claim to have tons of problems with there rx8s? Maybe there thousands of dollars in repairs werent associated with the engine?

Some sources claim that poor engine reliability is why mazada changed the 5 year 50kmiles warranty to 3 years 36kmiles that they use to this day for that car.

My view is skewed because I have a 2004. In the later years, the problems reduced dramatically. :)

But truth is, the ENGINE warranty (for major components) is now 100,000 miles. :)

My view is skewed because I have a 2004. In the later years, the problems reduced dramatically. :)

But truth is, the ENGINE warranty (for major components) is now 100,000 miles. :)

There is no mention of a 100k warrenty on mazdas website, but it does say in 2008 and up the rx8 has the 5 year 60k powertrain warrenty again. Unless they did it on the older ones to make up for unreliability.

I stopped considering the RX-8 as a viable option for a sports car when I walked one with my 200k miles 12v VR6 Jetta. *Badly*

+1

RX8 in a straight line = walkfest.

I walked one when I was stock. Ran away from the same one when I was Stage 1. Left in the dust THE SAME ONE when I went Stage 2; so bad that it was embarrasing, like the dude just drupped it in reverse. I haven't seen the guy since. He probably got sick of getting beat by a Camry at the track and must have gotten rid of it :lol:

I'd rather have a lot of other cars before ever considering an RX8.

There is no mention of a 100k warrenty on mazdas website, but it does say in 2008 and up the rx8 has the 5 year 60k powertrain warrenty again. Unless they did it on the older ones to make up for unreliability.

I - and others - got our warranties extended to 100k miles for engine components. We got a letter and everything.

:)

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=147287

He probably got sick of getting beat by a Camry at the track and must have gotten rid of it :lol:

...or he found another track.

Perhaps I'm a snob, but I think people who have learned 'fast straight-line acceleration' does NOT mean absolute 'driving pleasure' to be somehow more mature in their appreciation. Maybe, we're all just old fockers? 15 years ago I wanted a 'fast car'. 10 years ago I learned to be a 'fast driver'. Today, when I could afford most-any non-exotic car I desire, I drive the RX8. And the LegacyGT. :) Not, however, simultaneously for safety's sake.

your other posts suggest you don't have a solid grasp on what fast is, because the only aspect of fast you're promoting is drag racing. :) Under the right context, the RX8 is as fast, or faster than other cars you mentioned. Read through the other comments here - I've linked to several articles which would explain it.

I distinctly remember a Motor Trend article comparing most of the cars I listed and the RX8 was at the bottom. Not that I think mags are the bible, but it just goes to show. The 350z was a much better driver all around, less practical though, than the RX8. I don't know about you, but I'm kind of a purist. If it's a sports coupe, it's 2 doors, 2 seats for me, none of that pseudo 4 seats crap.

I distinctly remember a Motor Trend article comparing most of the cars I listed and the RX8 was at the bottom. Not that I think mags are the bible, but it just goes to show. The 350z was a much better driver all around, less practical though, than the RX8. I don't know about you, but I'm kind of a purist. If it's a sports coupe, it's 2 doors, 2 seats for me, none of that pseudo 4 seats crap.

Well - first off...I linked to an article showing how the 8 BEAT the 350 in a comparison test....

And it has four REAL seats. My family has done hundreds of miles for road trips in that car just fine. :)

Being a fast driver is MUCH more rewarding than having a fast car.

Some sources claim that poor engien reliability is why mazada changed the 5 year 50kmiles warrenty to 3 years 36kmiles that they use to this day for that car.

Did DMP and the other guy you can't remember have 7's or 8's? Because they are different cars with vastly different motors. One Wankel != another Wankel. The post DMP was referring to dealt with poor reliability on third gen RX7s and namely the 60k mile life span. Which is, sadly true, but not because of the engine itself but because of the poor design of the third gen.

Archived