LegacyGT.com

Lets help Subaru redesign the Legacy (2012?)

^ I will disagree with the third paragraph...

FIRST and foremost I would never buy a Chevy Cobalt for a performance car haha

And if people only cared about power numbers, why are so many people upgrading their suspension and braking components? Why would a person spend $500 (or more) on a better braking system when they could put it into the engine?? When I joined the site I searched "first mods" for my stock LGT and everyone said BRAKING AND HANDLING. I have every intention of tracking my car when those components are worthy of such (all that's left are the brakes, actually :) ). I'm not afraid of hurting my car on the track (if something breaks, it'll just get upgraded)

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cobalt SS turbo was pretty much the quickest car around till you put up enough money for a C6. Of course, problem being it wasn't going to hold up to a sniff test on whether or not someone would talk about owning one.

If you're not tracking it, I have no issues with it. You're an actual enthusiast, someone that's involved in something other than talking about how much horsepower your car makes or how much money you put into mods. Hell, even the dudes who throw stupid BOVs and don't tune their cars but at least show up to the drag strip to rip off 15 second runs in their STis are at least a step up. I don't credit those sorts of people as helping to sell new Subarus, though.

Not thinks, knows... This is mainly an "enthusiast" site leaning more toward modding. This iteration of the car does not follow along the same line as the previous models. All subjective I know, but most of us are always thinking they'd prefer to get closer to M3 as opposed to Camry. We have here a Camry and that sucks. Enjoy your car as it's probably very comfortable.

So because the car is larger it is somehow inferior, even though performance is damn close if not better than the previous GT? And I don't want or need to be close to anything- it is a sporty car that can comfortably carry 4 adults for under $30k while having AWD and a manual transmission. Nothing else does that for the price. Open that up to say $35k and some German cars become options, but I'm not a big enough asshole to own a BMW or Audi. :D

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

The Cobalt SS turbo was pretty much the quickest car around till you put up enough money for a C6. Of course, problem being it wasn't going to hold up to a sniff test on whether or not someone would talk about owning one.

If that's all I wanted then I'd be seriously considering one. That or a Miata or FD Rx-7.

Again, those of us complaining are just pouting because we had hoped Subaru would go in a slightly different direction and hadn't...Oh well, it is what it is.

When I get bored with my LGT...what then? I dunno. I got excited over the G8 GXP but it dissapeared.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

So because the car is larger it is somehow inferior, even though performance is damn close if not better than the previous GT? And I don't want or need to be close to anything- it is a sporty car that can comfortably carry 4 adults for under $30k while having AWD and a manual transmission. Nothing else does that for the price. Open that up to say $35k and some German cars become options, but I'm not a big enough asshole to own a BMW or Audi. :D

Can't argue with that Mike. It seems to suit your needs perfectly. It just no longer does mine.

It doesn't look as nice as the old LGT so it isn't as fast. Also, it doesn't come in red which makes a car much faster.

That's it!

Seriously though, I had a guy come out of Starbucks to see me get out of my car and he called it "stunning, absolutely stunning". He drove away in a new 550 BMW.

It's somewhat unique and good looking. Who knows, my son is 12 so if I keep it it may be his first car ;)

Who knows, my son is 12 so if I keep it it may be his first car ;)

Part of me says "lucky kid!" The other remembers how irresponsible I was with a ratty old F150 that was older than some of the freshmen in my high school, and that surely 16 y/o boys haven't changed much and a sporty car would be bad news for a new driver. At least they're safe cars. :D

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

That's a damn lucky 16 Year old...

I just wish subaru wouldn't have gone quite as mainstream. I sat in one the other day, and while it was luxuriously spacious and comfy front seat and back...it definitely was not the direction I wanted Subaru to go with the LGT...good for some, bad for some. It will ne'er change

When I get bored with my LGT...what then? I dunno. I got excited over the G8 GXP but it dissapeared.

If you haven't heard...the G8 is being brought back under the bow tie brand. Probably since the Caprice (foriegn/Holden spec) is coming here for fleet/cop sales.

The size of the car is kinda an issue, but I think if a good redesign was done, it certainly would earn some buyers back. True....Subaru is getting more sales...but it is also turning potential buyers away. Why not have it all!!! I wouldn't even doubt if the GT model was dropped, but still had a model that was set-up for modding (like swapping STI/WRX parts like a turbo, directly over) that models would still be selling.

I just wanted to explore what folks really didn't like, suggested for changes in the enthusiast world, while keeping it somewhat realistic (knowing Subaru couldn't just ditch the model altogether).

What's a good re-design though? The second it is designed to be a smaller car, the Legacy is now competing against models on Subaru's lots. The Impreza already is about the size of a 3rd/4th gen Legacy and is appointed about as well as a 5th gen Legacy. Why would anyone buy a Legacy then? To spend more money on a car that is all but identical but has a different name?

New sheetmetal? If they cut down the fender flares I'd still be interested since it'd have the nice squared off appearance of the 2nd gen/3rd gen. That's about where they're headed now with the Impreza concept.

The next GT will probably end up being a potentially direct injection with a slightly stroked/bored 2.7-2.8L with a dual clutch or possibly the model scraped with it just being a 2.XR ala the current 3.6R. Manuals aren't long for this world due to the low take rate but with a DCT Subaru can try to get the automatic crowd on board. As for the looks, it'll likely be the cut-down flared version of the Impreza but scaled up. The interior would likely get a make-over and something like the Ford Sync system added since Toyota is all but certainly about to debut a similar setup. Look for a greenhouse roof (option?) as well since they're starting to become mainstream. It'll be about the same size as well since the midsize wars have about maxed out. Maybe a larger boot but guaranteed to be about the same wheelbase. It'll never be smaller since every generation of every car tends to dwarf the last major re-design. KERs could be an option as Subaru struggles to meet minimum ratings as well as a mild hybrid or potentially a diesel model. I could even see a major, major re-design of the AWD system to push the power to only the front of the car to again try to squeeze blood from a rock to be a bit more miserly with fuel. There's a bit too many AWD systems that Subaru has now and they'd likely want to cut it down to the STi and the rest of the fleet to minimize costs.

I just wanted to explore what folks really didn't like, suggested for changes in the enthusiast world, while keeping it somewhat realistic (knowing Subaru couldn't just ditch the model altogether).

Well, all I REALLY want out of a redesigned Legacy is smaller, more attactive headlights, and a real hand brake. I think the size is fine, and could live with the wheel arches, but simply cannot stand those headlights. The good news is that front&rear headlights, fenders, and bumpers, and grille are typically refreshed after 3 years, so I'm hopeful that the 2013 Legacy will have a prettier face. I'm not expecting a new hand brake. We won't see all new sheetmetal (body, doors, roof) until the 2015 model year, at the earliest.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

2015...just say it....2015...sounds weird.

My biggest complaint is the headlights I think. They aren't totally terrible, but they are definitely not my cup of tea

No, honestly, they are totally terrible. I think blacking them out does help a bunch, but then you just get to the lipstick on a pig problem...

• 1 month later...

I really liked that the Legacy was different that the Accord and Camery. It looked sporty, it was smaller, it ws turbo, it had AWD and most importantly you could get a manual in the most powerful engine. To me those things make it a sports sedan, which is exactly what I wanted. Fun to drive and I can carry 4 people. The Accord and Camery are fine cars but the world doesn't need another one.

Personally, I think Subaru could make a smaller sporty version of the Legacy called Legacy and a larger more lux version called something else. That's what Toyota did with the Avalon. I know Subaru is a small company and money is tight, but if I was Subaru I would drop the Tribeca because the Outback is nearly the same size. Then you could drop and entire platform.

There might be some good new for folks like me as I hear Subaru is looking to move back towards sleeker styling.

I do believe the portions of the Impreza concept (attachment above) is closer to the first generation Legacy rather than later generations. I do see a slight bump in size, but I think they want to stay in the Jetta/Cruze/Altima/Mazda3/Civic market segment than jumping the Fusion/Camry/Accord/Mazda6/Sonata segment where the current Legacy is sitting.

It could be argued however, for Subaru to enter the next segment with the Impreza, at which time they could take the Legacy into a slighly larger segment (Taurus/Avalon/Gensis) which Subaru could use a large 'flagship' type vehicle. Then, this would give Subaru a change to introduce a whole new 'entry level' vehicle that could be co-built with Toyota and be FWD & AWD (I know...blasfamy). The new entry level could have a larger range of options, drive trains including a super efficient hybrid/electric (or whatever) model.

The current Legacy....when the refresh comes out...may give a slight indication of the direction things are going. I suspect the refreshed Legacy will either precede the new body Impreza or appear at the same time (on the sales floor that is).

Here is a very quick sketch (on trace paper) of a Legacy Touring Sedan idea.

http://www.onlinejason.net/auto/photoshop/Subaru_Legacy_Touring_concept-web.jpg

Delete the signals on the mirrors it's pure kitsch and looks too much like Mercedes.

Make the head lights smaller like on your sketch and get rit of the door window frames.

The back end of the Legacy 5 is to heavy, looks like a rhino ( too much Avensis ) it has to be lower with a good wing on it more Legacy 3 or even Legacy 2.

Wheels not bigger than 17 inch otherwise the are ridiculous, low profile tyre never look good on a sedan or wagon, you need some rubber to show for.

Grill has to be a mesh insert like on a Jaguar XJR :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jaguar_XJ8_--_09-26-2009.jpg

The nose of this Jaguar is much more pleasant than those kitsch headlights they use these days, they look like a PC game.

Don"t use too much chrome, two exhaust on the back one each side.

Have you looked at the Honda Accord ( Europe version ) these days it's a much nicer car to look at than the legacy 5 :

http://euro.honda.com.au/

If I have to choose a new car now the Legacy is out, the Accord or the Mazda 6, even that the current version is not a nice than the older one :

http://www.autozone.be/mazda_6_20-cdvi--gps--xenon-/auto/detail.jsp?zoekId=3958677&locale=nl_BE

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestand:2003Mazda6-McMillansLookout.jpg

Or I can always buy a Saab 9-3 ( nice model ) with XWD or Audi A4 quattro.

Than we don't have AWD and flat four, but a nice car to look at.

I have been sitting in the five but it dose not appeal to me.

The new Impreza with boot thats a nice car and without the rear spoiler its looks great.

So that another option and the benefit is that I can stay with Subaru provided Toyota is not spoiling that one either.

Here is a very quick sketch (on trace paper) of a Legacy Touring Sedan idea.

http://www.onlinejason.net/auto/photoshop/Subaru_Legacy_Touring_concept-web.jpg

Not bad overall, and I like the idea of bringing back the trademark C pillar glass behind the back door!

That sketch should be revised...picking up on some of the cues of the upcoming elements that seem to be taking over at Subie...and whatever you guys think is should look like. It's almost time to start thinking about a new thread too...as the 2012s will likely start hitting showrooms late summer...and not having seen and indication of revision...it's 2013 before the facelift. Of course...that still leaves us "fantasy" time to do the fake redesign.

• 2 months later...

One of the reasons that I bought my 2005 LGT wagon in late '04 was due to its' great looking styling.

It was, and still is, one of the best looking cars on the road.

Now Subaru has redesigned the Legacy and it LOOKS LIKE CRAP!

You can't even tell that it is a Subaru.....:mad:

I constantly mistake the new Legacy's bloated, lame and generic shape for either a:

Honda Accord

Toyota Camry

Hyundai Elantra

I was considering trading in my 140,000 mile '05 LGT wagon...but I'll keep it until Subaru restyles the current lumpy turd Legacy.

Archived