LegacyGT.com

Lets help Subaru redesign the Legacy (2012?)

^^ Great ideas, but the problem is subaru doesn't build mass production sedans/coupes for over $30k normally. Now you're competing with audi, bmw, mercedes, and those like in a class that you never intended to be in. Subaru competes with the camrys, corollas, accords, and other mainstream fwd sedans/suvs. They were never in it to be a "performance luxury" like bmw has always portrayed or something. And even if they did mass produce something like the s402, I'd put my money on that we'd never see it stateside because SOA sucks like that. It's a vicious cycle...the performance mods are left to us, but we're given a great starting piece.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is another. Legacy all the way IMHO.

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6898b88-6172-49fe.jpg

More here

http://www.netcarshow.com/subaru/2010-impreza_concept/

Kinda reminds me of a Scion tC from certain angles.

That front fender kinda looks like what I was doing. It's almost as if they were watching the thread (they weren't of course).

http://www.onlinejason.net/auto/photoshop/Subaru_legacyGT_alterations_stage2extra.jpg

Yeah, well...I mean, sorry to all the 2010+ guys, but this concept is far better-looking than both the current-gen legacy and the legacy concept too. When the time comes, if the legacy is essentially what it is today and the impreza morphs from what it is now into a decently-done production version of this new concept, I'm gonna jump ship and get a wrx or sti.

Maybe we need a "Let's help Subaru design the new WRX (2013?)" thread. I'm lookin at you, Jason!

Yeah, well...I mean, sorry to all the 2010+ guys, but this concept is far better-looking than both the current-gen legacy and the legacy concept too. When the time comes, if the legacy is essentially what it is today and the impreza morphs from what it is now into a decently-done production version of this new concept, I'm gonna jump ship and get a wrx or sti.

Maybe we need a "Let's help Subaru design the new WRX (2013?)" thread. I'm lookin at you, Jason!

Duly noted. Yes, this concept put out will require a bit of more fun in photoshop (to see if we can take it to production looking forum).

I sure like your concept better than what's out now. However, I do like the sliver lights over the blacked out ones. Also, the zigzag over the turn signals is ok, but how about a smoother look? I don't know anything about photoshop, but can you just pull the top of the lights to the rear point of the turn signal?

The single most important post I've seen in this thread yet.

My thoughts exactly but I'd go a small step further and size it between the 2008-9 and the 2010 and add the amenities that people are now expecting.

This formula given in two flavors, one for the Camry market and the other for enthusiasts and you have a winner all around.

Not that difficult really.

So I have pretty much read this whole thread and personally I think my 2006 LGT is just about perfect. Imagine that. But seriously, when that model arrived I just about shit myself. I had replaced my 95 Legacy with a VW a few years before and was out of the loop on Subarus. I remember I was painting my mother in law's house when I heard the ad on the radio about the LGT with 250 hp and I could't believe it. Then when I looked it up on the web and saw the pics I knew I was going to get that car. I still have the Road and Track from 2005 when they compared it to the TSX. I love my LGT and have been very happy. However, I have no interest in the new LGT. Sorry, I'm sure it is a great car but it is just not exciting. Too big, too ugly, too Camry. I actually, bought the LGT instead of a BMW 330. I could have gotten the BMW and I would have paid more for the LGT than the $25k I paid. I considered the SPEC B but I didn't like the color and red seats. Not to mention more money, but no more juice! I feal that with the 05-09 LGT, Subaru made a legitimate sports sedan and I'm very sad to see that it is gone.

So, if I owned Subaru I would stick with the formula of the previous LGT as far a looks and size and position it as a cheaper and more reliable alterntive to the BMW 3 series. I would price it a few(3 or 4) thousand more but add content. I would add direct injection to the engines. The base engine would be around 210hp and the Turbo 300hp. There would be no 6 cylinder in the sedan. I would improve the shift feel of the manual. Maybe work with ZF. I don't think the engines have counter ballancing so I would add that to smooth out the 2nd order vibs. The suspension is a pretty good comprimise of ride/performance but I would add some alum bits to reduce unsprung weight.

I would create a flagship lux/sports coupe based on the sedan. It's got great lines and the pic on this post prove it. The sports coupe would have a turbo 3.6 with direct injection and run 375 hp. Add some suspension bits, structural reinforcements and some sleek but elegant body work. Spruce up the interior like Audi does and sign me up for a $45k sticker.

It would still be about 5 grand less than the BMW I'm gonna have to buy if Sub doesn't get the magic back. I'm on the 200k mile plan so Sub has some time.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

...the performance mods are left to us, but we're given a great starting piece.

This is all SOA really has to do to minimally satisfy the enthusiast crowd, design the car to be even more mod friendly.

They can sell a pathetic version as long as it can be easily modded (start with a bullet proof short block, free'er flowing heads, FMIC piping more easily fits, more room for larger turbo inlets, more room for rotated kits, etc). All I wished they would do is give me a slightly larger car than the 2008-9 (keep the general look), drop in the STIs motor (and Spec-B bits as standard) and allow for 255's to fit under the fender.

Here is another. Legacy all the way IMHO.

http://tapa.tk/mu/a6898b88-6172-49fe.jpg

More here

http://www.netcarshow.com/subaru/2010-impreza_concept/

Kinda reminds me of a Scion tC from certain angles.

It does, from the door rearward. Also a Celica.

Overall it looks like they hired a new stylist as it's actually good looking. A rare thing for Subaru.

The single most important post I've seen in this thread yet.

My thoughts exactly but I'd go a small step further and size it between the 2008-9 and the 2010 and add the amenities that people are now expecting.

This formula given in two flavors, one for the Camry market and the other for enthusiasts and you have a winner all around.

Not that difficult really.

Enthusiast crowd is hilariously small. The take rate on manuals is continually diminishing which is a decent gauge on enthusiasts. No one is going to cater to them beyond chintzy add-ons like what Scion does.

And as for the size -- isn't that what an Impreza is now?

I do love how even though Subaru is selling more cars in the US than ever before, nearly everyone here thinks the car is awful and needs all sorts of things reworked on it. :lol: A huge reason Subaru has done so well as they actually made the Legacy a real midsize. I never would've considered the Legacy if it were still the same size as the 05-09s. They're very nice cars, but too small for my wants/needs.

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them

-Ronald Reagan

I do love how even though Subaru is selling more cars in the US than ever before, nearly everyone here thinks the car is awful and needs all sorts of things reworked on it. :lol:

Not thinks, knows... This is mainly an "enthusiast" site leaning more toward modding. This iteration of the car does not follow along the same line as the previous models. All subjective I know, but most of us are always thinking they'd prefer to get closer to M3 as opposed to Camry. We have here a Camry and that sucks. Enjoy your car as it's probably very comfortable.

A huge reason Subaru has done so well as they actually made the Legacy a real midsize. I never would've considered the Legacy if it were still the same size as the 05-09s. They're very nice cars, but too small for my wants/needs.

This is well known, we realize Subaru is just now getting it and producing what the masses really want but ... are most of us here typical? No..

I understand that SOA will say buy an STI if that's what you want. It is to a point. I want something that's good looking, mod friendly, and something a bit more Lux than the STI. I don't need anything beyond a Legacy and very happy with what I have but now I have no upgrade path and I'm pouting :D

There is no amount of modding a 2010 LGT that satisfies my 'good looking' request and if I can't mod it to the extent I have my 2008 then what other reason is there to own one? All wheel drive aside, I suppose I'd buy a G37S otherwise.

...yet the M3 has moved consistently away from what it originally was and more to a mainstream car that was more about the price tag than the performance.

Face it, your car was another in the line of moving away from a benchmark. Throwing bilsteins on it and bolting in a different transmission doesn't set it any closer to what the 1st gen was.

People don't particularly care about performance, just power numbers. "Enthusiasts" rarely put their cars on dynos and even more rarely put it on the track for fear of wadding it up. So long as a performance trim of a car costs more than it's more plebian counterpart or puts up five hunnert harspawr, that's all that matters. If actual performance mattered, more people would be driving Cobalt SS turbos than WRXs or 1st gen TSXs than LGTs. Yet because it doesn't, those cars both languished. People just want numbers and status symbols.

Archived