LegacyGT.com

So.....my gf wants to replace her STI

So I think we have it narrowed down to a white/red BMW 128i (to be maintenance free) and the white/black Audi A4 (with the cool headlights). Now I think we just need to find the right combo of options.

Go with whichever dealer has the best service center as you will be visiting them a lot with either car. ;)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you talking about? All the ls series engines are all aluminium. And they have been known to get good gas mileage as far as powerful v8s go, the zr-1 makes 638hp and is rated at 22mpg freeway and 15 city, the 505hp z06 is rated 25freeway and 17 city and most of the ls1 f-bodys and vette could get 30mpg freeway with 350-400hp even when rated only at 26mpg, which means the 25mpg rating for the new camaro is probably on the low side. Compare these engines to cars with the same hp and they usually get better gas mileage, like the gt500 500hp that is rated at 21mpg freeway and 14 city and the 500hp viper 21 freeway /13 city compared to the 505hp z06 25 freeway/ 17 city rating.So how is that bad gas mileage? And the new camaro SS doesnt even have hood scoops. The ls engines are light, people swap them out for rx-7 1.3 rotarys and only gain 50-60lbs, its the same when they swap them out for 4 cylinder iron porsche engines, like the 944.

And i agree a twin turbo v6 camaro would be cool but is peak power the only thing that matter to you? v8s have great power at all rpms, even built and turboed. The zr1 makes 320trq at idle

Basically everything you said about the ls series engine and the camaro itself is completely wrong.

Damn, your right, I checked out the LS motors and they are all aluminum. They might make good gas mileage as far as powerful V8's go, but when veiwed more objectively in comparison to all cars, gas mileage in the teens is terrible considering that the U.S. CAFE standards say that all cars should have a minimum gas mileage of 25 mpg... (the fact that Almost all foreign and domestic cars sold in the U.S. don't live up to this standard is another issue) That means city gas mileage should be in the mid-twenties for all cars... and I have never ever known anyone to get 30 mpg freeway in a 1st gen f-body... And as long as cars such as the Volkswagon Jetta, and Toyota Corolla are getting a minimum gas mileage in the high twenties, gas mileage in the mid teens is going to be horrible in comparison.

And by hood scoop, I am referring to the opening right above the grill on the front bumper of the new Camaro. and yes, it is non-functional. And those gillets pictured infront of the rear wheels are decals over folds in sheet metal and are also non-functional.

And I have never known anyone to swap an LS motor for a Mazda 13B rotary... You'd have to be a pretty creative fabricator to come up with a motor mount for that engine in that car. Same goes for putting a cast iron Porsche motor in a camaro.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of GM. I just wish that their motors had 4 valves per cylinder and double overhead cams, along with VVT... I do care about more than just peak power, and I do agree that V8's make great horse power and torque at all RPM's, and I would love to find a turboed or supercharged LS1 powered car.

I just think that GM could have done better with the Camaro is all... I would really like to see it compete with NISMO Skyline GTR's is all.

Damn, your right, I checked out the LS motors and they are all aluminum. They might make good gas mileage as far as powerful V8's go, but when veiwed more objectively in comparison to all cars, gas mileage in the teens is terrible considering that the U.S. CAFE standards say that all cars should have a minimum gas mileage of 25 mpg... (the fact that Almost all foreign and domestic cars sold in the U.S. don't live up to this standard is another issue) That means city gas mileage should be in the mid-twenties for all cars... and I have never ever known anyone to get 30 mpg freeway in a 1st gen f-body... And as long as cars such as the Volkswagon Jetta, and Toyota Corolla are getting a minimum gas mileage in the high twenties, gas mileage in the mid teens is going to be horrible in comparison.

And by hood scoop, I am referring to the opening right above the grill on the front bumper of the new Camaro. and yes, it is non-functional. And those gillets pictured infront of the rear wheels are decals over folds in sheet metal and are also non-functional.

And I have never known anyone to swap an LS motor for a Mazda 13B rotary... You'd have to be a pretty creative fabricator to come up with a motor mount for that engine in that car. Same goes for putting a cast iron Porsche motor in a camaro.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of GM. I just wish that their motors had 4 valves per cylinder and double overhead cams, along with VVT... I do care about more than just peak power, and I do agree that V8's make great horse power and torque at all RPM's, and I would love to find a turboed or supercharged LS1 powered car.

I just think that GM could have done better with the Camaro is all... I would really like to see it compete with NISMO Skyline GTR's is all.

Your not experienced in the lsx world, are you? Hundreds of people maybe thousands have swapped the ls1 into rx-7s,240sx, porsches, Rao has a m3 with a ls2 in it. The ls engines are put into tons of cars, there are literally websites devoted to converstion kits and how to do the swaps. 1st gen f-body wouldnt get 30mpg freeway because the first gen was 1967-1969. The 4th gen was the 93-02 and many people have gotten 28-31mpg in 6 speed manual ls1 cars. I got 28mpg on many trips on the freeway when the car had the stock fuel system and made 357rwhp.

I agree GM could have done better on the camaro, but the ls series engines are always great.

Yes your right comparing a toyota corolla and jetta to a camaro is retarded. Why did you jsut do that? 1 car makes 170hp and the other 430 lol.

Gm has always done well with there ls series pushrod single cam overhead valve engines. Better than ford with there overhead cam v8s that made less power yet got worse gas mileage. Noone has proven a dual overhead cam v8 would get better gas mileage than a lsx engine.

And on the highway my 2.5L turbo got at best 30mpg and is about 1/3 the displacement so mid to upper twenties out of a vette isn't bad at all.

Out of you two choices I'd keep shopping. You will be disappointed by the Audi (I work on them for living) and with the BMW you'll be buying the "starter bimmer."

Out of Chrysler;

I'd check out a certified Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. It felt faster then a Cheyenne twin turbo I drove even though I know it isn't. I really wanted one, but decided I could afford the gas or the payment but not both. Gas mileage is utterly terrible at around 12-14mpg.

Also look for a certified Charger SRT8. Same 420hp 6L hemi in a four door sedan. Mileage is better because it is rwd only.

What about a Challenger R/T? They still seem to stand out around here I don't see that many on the road.

My biggest thing with Chrysler's is interior is pretty junky made. Everything is real plasticy and poor fit. They always seem to under do the brake systems they use.

I wouldn't look at a new Camaro at least for a year. By then supply should have caught up to demand and deals will be there. I heard there are some dealerships charging $15k over sticker for a SS.

IF and I do say if I was car shopping and lived were there isn't snow honestly my first choice would be a G8 GT or if I could afford it GXP hands down. They seem to be put together better then american made GM products. Other then the tailights I like the rest of the styling of the car. I wouldn't be worried about the warranty thing either, GM already said they will honor the full term of the warranty at any of their other brand dealerships.

All of these are my personal opinions so take that for what it is worth.

oh, and look into the IS series by lexus!!! they are great cars too!!!

We were going to look at one of those tonight, my fear is paying for an "overpriced" toyota, but then again you never know until you go look. The surprise dark horse candidate right now is the Nissan Maxima. I also want to look at the Hyundai Genesis too.

And we are buying NEW, used is not at all an option.

^ n00bs below this line

funny thing as well is that the LS3 weighs less than the BMW 4 liter V8....I care more about that than hp per displacement...should be hp per weight for any enthusiast.

I am wholly with 05GT Guru...they are pretty much the sickest most versatile powerplant

We were going to look at one of those tonight, my fear is paying for an "overpriced" toyota, but then again you never know until you go look. The surprise dark horse candidate right now is the Nissan Maxima. I also want to look at the Hyundai Genesis too.

And we are buying NEW, used is not at all an option.

Actually, I like the new Maxima. Probably, my favorite big FWD car(although, it is actually smaller then the last generation).

Never really liked the IS and it is way overpriced in Canada.

Your not experienced in the lsx world, are you? Hundreds of people maybe thousands have swapped the ls1 into rx-7s,240sx, porsches, Rao has a m3 with a ls2 in it. The ls engines are put into tons of cars, there are literally websites devoted to converstion kits and how to do the swaps. 1st gen f-body wouldnt get 30mpg freeway because the first gen was 1967-1969. The 4th gen was the 93-02 and many people have gotten 28-31mpg in 6 speed manual ls1 cars. I got 28mpg on many trips on the freeway when the car had the stock fuel system and made 357rwhp.

I agree GM could have done better on the camaro, but the ls series engines are always great.

Yes your right comparing a toyota corolla and jetta to a camaro is retarded. Why did you jsut do that? 1 car makes 170hp and the other 430 lol.

Gm has always done well with there ls series pushrod single cam overhead valve engines. Better than ford with there overhead cam v8s that made less power yet got worse gas mileage. Noone has proven a dual overhead cam v8 would get better gas mileage than a lsx engine.

SIR! I DEFINITELY AGREE WITH YOUR LAST POINT! the ford sucks. And anyone who is building a double over head cam V8 is probably German!

I'm just saying, they probably are...

And on the highway my 2.5L turbo got at best 30mpg and is about 1/3 the displacement so mid to upper twenties out of a vette isn't bad at all.

Out of you two choices I'd keep shopping. You will be disappointed by the Audi (I work on them for living) and with the BMW you'll be buying the "starter bimmer."

Out of Chrysler;

I'd check out a certified Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8. It felt faster then a Cheyenne twin turbo I drove even though I know it isn't. I really wanted one, but decided I could afford the gas or the payment but not both. Gas mileage is utterly terrible at around 12-14mpg.

Also look for a certified Charger SRT8. Same 420hp 6L hemi in a four door sedan. Mileage is better because it is rwd only.

What about a Challenger R/T? They still seem to stand out around here I don't see that many on the road.

My biggest thing with Chrysler's is interior is pretty junky made. Everything is real plasticy and poor fit. They always seem to under do the brake systems they use.

I wouldn't look at a new Camaro at least for a year. By then supply should have caught up to demand and deals will be there. I heard there are some dealerships charging $15k over sticker for a SS.

IF and I do say if I was car shopping and lived were there isn't snow honestly my first choice would be a G8 GT or if I could afford it GXP hands down. They seem to be put together better then american made GM products. Other then the tailights I like the rest of the styling of the car. I wouldn't be worried about the warranty thing either, GM already said they will honor the full term of the warranty at any of their other brand dealerships.

All of these are my personal opinions so take that for what it is worth.

Dude, I'm suggesting the Hyundai Genesis, and the Lexus IS series, not the BMW and the Audi... And I totally agree with you about Chrysler interiors... I've actually had a lot of electrical problems with every Chrysler that I've owned... Lots of electric Door locks and interior lights going on and off randomly along with windsheild wiper motors burning up...

Dude, I'm suggesting the Hyundai Genesis, and the Lexus IS series, not the BMW and the Audi... And I totally agree with you about Chrysler interiors... I've actually had a lot of electrical problems with every Chrysler that I've owned... Lots of electric Door locks and interior lights going on and off randomly along with windsheild wiper motors burning up...

The OP said he was down to one of two cars being an Audi and a BMW.

I know you said no used (which after buying a new car I'll never do it again) but what about a CTS V? Lots of power, acceptable mpg, 4drs for the dog, good looking (and I hate most GM products), and not to big so it would be easy to park.

hyundai genesis coupe 3.8 track. i see them everywhere down here in korea and they look awesome. im pretty sure they look the same as in the u.s. from the pics, and they come nicely loaded. definately not hyundai's usual.

hyundai genesis coupe 3.8 track. i see them everywhere down here in korea and they look awesome. im pretty sure they look the same as in the u.s. from the pics, and they come nicely loaded. definately not hyundai's usual.

Yeah, I was very impressed with them when I first saw them, and have been continually impressed as I learn more about them.

This was our scoring from last night, I know it seems trivial, but the 2 biggest factors in the equation are 1) When you first see your car in the morning does your heart flutter at the thought of driving to work? 2) Turning the car on, you can learn a lot about a car in that split second. Does it make that fluttering turn into a fire as you impatiently let your car warm up?

Audi Quattro 2.0T - 12 points

1) 10/10

2) 2/10

BMW 128i - 17 points [WINNER]

1) 8/10

2) 9/10

^ n00bs below this line

Audi Quattro 2.0T - 12 points

1) 10/10

2) 2/10

Then add an APR tuned ECM and maybe an exhaust to the A4 2.0T. You can also factor in knowing were to find a master guide Audi tech too.

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsivl_long.html

You can't tune the bimmer, and if you can you don't get much out of it without replacing things like cams, getting port work done, etc.

Then add an APR tuned ECM and maybe an exhaust to the A4 2.0T. You can also factor in knowing were to find a master guide Audi tech too.

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsivl_long.html

You can't tune the bimmer, and if you can you don't get much out of it without replacing things like cams, getting port work done, etc.

What about all the people running mid 12s in there tune only 335s?

128i would be the car we get if we go BMW unless we get a smoking deal on a basic 3 series, and the goal is to find a car that we dont need to modify or else we would be keeping the STi. We want something thats bone stock, fun to drive, sporty, and doesnt feel like its a Toyota Camry.
^ n00bs below this line

Archived