LegacyGT.com

So.....my gf wants to replace her STI

She has a 2005 STI around stage 2 but its starting to get expensive to maintain. She is all set to spend around $30k out the door and is looking for suggestions on new cars. Her only requirements are no station wagons and not being manual is most likely a deal breaker. We have talked about the 370Z and the new Camaro but since we are both Suby owners any car without 4wd and a turbo is hard to consider but we are ready to at least consider other options.
^ n00bs below this line

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She has a 2005 STI around stage 2 but its starting to get expensive to maintain. She is all set to spend around $30k out the door and is looking for suggestions on new cars. Her only requirements are no station wagons and not being manual is most likely a deal breaker. We have talked about the 370Z and the new Camaro but since we are both Suby owners any car without 4wd and a turbo is hard to consider but we are ready to at least consider other options.

If i lived in san diego AWD would be the last thing on my mind.

Im guessing shes looking for a new car but if i had 30k and lived where you do and you obviously dont care about a back seat since the 370z doesnt have one i would get a c5 z06. For 30k you can get a very nice one with low miles. Or a 03/04 cobra.

I know both the cars i suggested are older than her current car, but they are better performers and for 30k you could get each with very low miles, the cobra you could get with under 10kmiles for sure. also both cars are very strong mechanically, both have the t-56 6 speed that has been proven to handle abuse and power levels as high as 600-700hp. Both engine are damn near bullet proof and the vette and cobra both have strong rear ends. The half shafts have been known to snap but only under hard launchs on drag tires.

I didnt think they had the SS in awd

Yeah they do, but i hear if your looking for straight line perfomance and wont use it for offroad or bad weather then a RWD trailblazer SS with drag radials launchs better and is less destructive.

It sounds like we are narrowing it down further to the Pontiac G8 GT, the Camero, and the Audi A4.

We may have to start at the Chevy/Subaru dealer and see what happens.

^ n00bs below this line

It sounds like we are narrowing it down further to the Pontiac G8 GT, the Camero, and the Audi A4.

We may have to start at the Chevy/Subaru dealer and see what happens.

Well thats a easy one for me. First of all you ened to decide do you need the rear doors and cargo room. If not then the camaro SS is the clear choice. If you do need the 4 doors and extra room then the g8 gt is gonna be alot more fun than the a4. If you wanna look super classy and have an interior you will never get sick of and dont care about only having 265hp(v6) or 211hp(turbo) then the a4 is the winner.

We have a big dog, so that plays a factor, but at this point my car is pretty much donated to the dog. Performance is definitely a factor, or at least high on the list, and 4 doors is ideal but 2 of them could be sacrificed for something sexy like the Camaro.

Honestly I have never liked the G8 but Im kinda liking it at this point.

^ n00bs below this line

She is mentioning Range Rover, Audi A4, Cadillac SRX and a few others along those lines, I think she is leaning towards an SUV/truck.

She doesn't want a station wagon. Instead she wants a jacked up station wagon with worse handling and fuel economy... makes sense. :rolleyes: Fortunately, my wife is smart like me and LOVES wagons because they actually make sense unlike most CUV/SUVs.

I just thought of something. She does know how to drive, right? And I mean like a human, not like a typical woman. No talking on the phone, no driving up my ass even when I'm doing the speed limit, uses a turn signal, knows the throttle is NOT an on/off switch.

She doesn't want a station wagon. Instead she wants a jacked up station wagon with worse handling and fuel economy... makes sense. :rolleyes: Fortunately, my wife is smart like me and LOVES wagons because they actually make sense unlike most CUV/SUVs.

A Subbie family is a happy family :)

I like the new 370Z but can she live with a two seater?

I'm kind of wary of the Camaro due some early manufacturing glitches. How about a Pontiac G8? Seems, like you can get some really good deals on the G8.

BMW 1 series is decent car and they're offering some good deals on them. Also, the 3 series and you can get the turbo engine with AWD.

How about an AWD Audi A5?

There is that new Hyundai Genesis coupe.

Infiniti has the G37X(AWD) coupe but only automatic.

Do not go with the Camaro, it has a lot of what I would call design short commings... Like the non functional hood scoop on the SS, or those little gills infront of the rear wheels that are really just decals over indetions in the sheet metal. Plus it still has a cast iron pushrod V8... Anything without an aluminum block and at least single overhead cams is going to first of all be heavy, and seccond of all get bad gas mileage. The direct injection 3.6 liter V6 is the best engine for that car so far, if only GM would slap twin turbos onto it, then they'd have a car that not ony lives up to it's heritage, but also surpasses it.

You can get good deals on the Pontiac G8, and it has only a few of the above shortcomings and therefor is a much better choice. But be wary of this car, because there is talk of selling Pontiac or shutting down the division entirely from economists and car gurus alike.

The BMW 135ci is a great car but requires lots of scheduled maintenance, in order to maintain the car. Same goes for the Audi A5, which has mechanical features that not only require lots of scheduled maintanance but expensive sheduled maintanance.

Probably the best suggestion that I've hear so far is the Hyundai Genesis coupe. It's a great value, easy to maintain, good gas mileage, blisteringly fast in both engine setups (the standard turbo inline four which isn't really a lot slower than it's counter part, the optional 3.6 liter V6). It is a nice modern car that has been around in europe for many years, and thus there is some tuning and dress up potential. that is the one that I would go with... Plus it has 4 seats, so if she can't live with a 2-seater it's a good option.

Buddy has a gxp G8...pretty rockin car even if a little heavy (tons of room). Get a tune and the LS3....oh just remembered the 30k rule, not gonna happen on a GXP. I would get the G8 and go happy buying some pedders suspension bits, a tune, and a vararam intake....then later cam the bitch :) (or maggie charge) and you got a very nice travel/handling/straight line loving car....maybe not so much on the handling due to weight, but at least its fairly neutral

Do not go with the Camaro, it has a lot of what I would call design short commings... Like the non functional hood scoop on the SS, or those little gills infront of the rear wheels that are really just decals over indetions in the sheet metal. Plus it still has a cast iron pushrod V8... Anything without an aluminum block and at least single overhead cams is going to first of all be heavy, and seccond of all get bad gas mileage. The direct injection 3.6 liter V6 is the best engine for that car so far, if only GM would slap twin turbos onto it, then they'd have a car that not ony lives up to it's heritage, but also surpasses it.

What are you talking about? All the ls series engines are all aluminium. And they have been known to get good gas mileage as far as powerful v8s go, the zr-1 makes 638hp and is rated at 22mpg freeway and 15 city, the 505hp z06 is rated 25freeway and 17 city and most of the ls1 f-bodys and vette could get 30mpg freeway with 350-400hp even when rated only at 26mpg, which means the 25mpg rating for the new camaro is probably on the low side. Compare these engines to cars with the same hp and they usually get better gas mileage, like the gt500 500hp that is rated at 21mpg freeway and 14 city and the 500hp viper 21 freeway /13 city compared to the 505hp z06 25 freeway/ 17 city rating.So how is that bad gas mileage? And the new camaro SS doesnt even have hood scoops. The ls engines are light, people swap them out for rx-7 1.3 rotarys and only gain 50-60lbs, its the same when they swap them out for 4 cylinder iron porsche engines, like the 944.

And i agree a twin turbo v6 camaro would be cool but is peak power the only thing that matter to you? v8s have great power at all rpms, even built and turboed. The zr1 makes 320trq at idle

Basically everything you said about the ls series engine and the camaro itself is completely wrong.

2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-4_460x0w.jpg.482084e92fcc7284e00ed317bef91bcd.jpg

I say go with the G8...sell a kidney and help her get the GXP version.

If your gonna sell a kidney get the slp g8 gt. They upgrade the brakes, suspension, fuel system, tires/rims, and add a supercharger with full supposrting mods. The package cost 20k and yields 500hp on 7psi and comes with a 3 years 36kmiels warrenty.

So I think we have it narrowed down to a white/red BMW 128i (to be maintenance free) and the white/black Audi A4 (with the cool headlights). Now I think we just need to find the right combo of options.
^ n00bs below this line

Archived