LegacyGT.com

So.....my gf wants to replace her STI

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your not experienced in the lsx world, are you? Hundreds of people maybe thousands have swapped the ls1 into rx-7s,240sx, porsches, Rao has a m3 with a ls2 in it. The ls engines are put into tons of cars, there are literally websites devoted to converstion kits and how to do the swaps.

The LS series of motors is like the V8 Trump Card. If someone tries to mention anything else you just have to say 'LS series' and you pretty much win.

In my opinion the only thing the LS swap suffers from is that its done everywhere. Its kinda like Lambo doors, at first they were cool. Now its just overplayed.

She is mentioning Range Rover, Audi A4, Cadillac SRX and a few others along those lines, I think she is leaning towards an SUV/truck.

So changing from driving something that has good performance and good brakes to a drunken cow? :p

:hide:

453747.png

Also remember the Audi also have a few years head start and more demand for aftermarket parts. That 2.0T motor debuted in 2005, I believe. The twin turbo 6 has been out for what, a year? Maybe 2? I saw a guy at a local MINI/BMW tuner do a reflash on a 335i a few years ago (must have been within weeks of them being released) and the driver was stunned at the new performance. I would rather have a smaller gain with an extra turbo and another 60 cubic inches over a larger gain on a 2 liter. That 335 will be under a lot less stress for the same amount power compared to a 2.0.

Also remember the Audi also have a few years head start and more demand for aftermarket parts. That 2.0T motor debuted in 2005, I believe. The twin turbo 6 has been out for what, a year? Maybe 2? I saw a guy at a local MINI/BMW tuner do a reflash on a 335i a few years ago (must have been within weeks of them being released) and the driver was stunned at the new performance. I would rather have a smaller gain with an extra turbo and another 60 cubic inches over a larger gain on a 2 liter. That 335 will be under a lot less stress for the same amount power compared to a 2.0.

THe 2.0T in the 09 A4 is a new animal. They added AVS (Audi Valve lift System) and some other improvements like to a timing chain from a timing belt. Obviously the 135 or 335 have a displacemnt advantage since they are a liter bigger and has an extra turbo. However Audi's quattro awd system (not on a A3 or TT cause they use a Haldex system) is light years better then Bmw's.

Either way I'd still be getting a G8 GT or CPOd CTS V over the BMW and Audi. I forgot you may want to check out a Passat CC too.

No preowned, the OP says. And after working for VW for roughly 4 months, I'd avoid anything made by them right now. The 2.0's I've seen were getting turbos at 10K miles, timing chains at 50-60K miles, cats were going 25K miles, numerous O2 sensor issues. And a few of those timing chains were customer pay, too. 700-900 in parts with another 1000 in labor. And just to still be driving a VW.

Her STI:

http://images.craigslist.org/3m33o43pdZZZZZZZZZ96uc181594bc8881b30.jpg

Her:

*Deleted because it only takes one to ruin it for everyone, hence the reason I didnt post it to begin with.*

Only because you guys have been so helpful

^ n00bs below this line

No preowned, the OP says. And after working for VW for roughly 4 months, I'd avoid anything made by them right now. The 2.0's I've seen were getting turbos at 10K miles, timing chains at 50-60K miles, cats were going 25K miles, numerous O2 sensor issues. And a few of those timing chains were customer pay, too. 700-900 in parts with another 1000 in labor. And just to still be driving a VW.

Well I've worked at an Audi/Porsche dealer as a tech for 10 years now and haven't seen some of the problems you are talking about. The 2.0T came out with a timing chain in 09 so how could you have seen ones that needed replacement for wear especially since they are a life of the engine item? With the turbo issues how many of those cars were stock and did not have aftermarket exhaust and/or a chip?

Again personally I've been trying to sway him towards something with an LSx(and again I am not a GM lover in anyway) in it and go CPOd because you loose less money on depreciation, it being CPOd you'd immediately get a longer factory warranty, and you now can afford much more of a car (instead of buying a car that intiallly costs say $40k it would be priced around $30k used).

To the OP I may be saying the obvious here but what about Legacy GT or spec B? I mean after all you two are already fimiliar with subies and this is a website dedicated to LGTs. I mean I bought a LGT and work at an Audi dealer because you get more car for the money with the subie then you do with an Audi or BMW.

I'd have to recommend me

I'm cheap, local, and fast.

Available in manual (if she wants to do all the work)

I'm over 25 years old, so I think that qualifies me as a classic

I'd definitely suggest having her take me for a test ride.

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

:rolleyes:

.....pic removed.....

And I would say its pretty well narrowed down to the 128i and now its just a matter of finding the right combo or ordering a new one.

And if you are in San Diego and in need of a BMW I suggest staying away from Harloff BMW of Encinitas, San Diego, for lack of a better description they "forgot" to give my gf her license back and then held it hostage for over a week trying to get us back there to buy a car. We forgot her license (instead of them fogetting to give it back and then rushing us out the door after a lowball offer on her trade-in) at an Audi dealership and they overnighted her license and apologized profusely for the inconvenience. This BMW dealership on the other hand gave us the run around for a week calling every day to see if we wanted to buy a car and then to verify her address (same as on the license) and saying it was sent out only to get another call the next day making sure we didn't want to come by a car and then verifying the address. After a week we finally were enraged and wanted to talk to a manager or someone in charge and after 30 minutes of waiting we got someone who proceeded to drop F-bombs on my gf and asking if he could get off the phone with her because she was wasting his day. At this point the license is supposed to be in the mail (regular, uninsured, no delivery confirmation, no nothing) today and we havent gotten a confirmation call yet so I guess thats a good sign. Either way, stay away from this dealer, they have terrible reviews on Google and we didnt listen so here is my cautionary tale.

^ n00bs below this line

Too bad about that dealer, why can't they learn that treating customers with respect will earn them a better reputation and more customers?

That kind of dealers deserve to go bankrupt.

Good luck in finding a new toy and have fun!

http://www.fiat128.de/Restauration/Franz_Koob/Franz_Koob_Spezial/Franz_Koob_Osnabruck.03..jpg

(Fiat 128)

453747.png

Can you link where you've found new Audi's for 30k? :D I've only seen the A4 around here in the NW for $33k-35k and more...
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Cooper S.

Small as hell but also fun as hell to drive.

Actually, that is a pretty fun little car... I've been wondering about the Cooper Clubman S for a while now... Seems like a fun and functional concept if you ask me, But then again so does a Turbocharged Mazda RX-8. That would've been a very good car... that or a tri-rotorary version.

Actually, that is a pretty fun little car... I've been wondering about the Cooper Clubman S for a while now... Seems like a fun and functional concept if you ask me, But then again so does a Turbocharged Mazda RX-8. That would've been a very good car... that or a tri-rotorary version.

Do we really need to bring up rotarys, there are reasons noone uses them.

sorry, my dad loved his RX-7 and in hindsight I should have...But he sold it when he shouldn't have. Mazda just really screwed up in making the RX-8 heavier by adding 2 doors and dropping the turbos... and not making it a torqueier car. The RX-7 was no slouch in its day once you tuned it right, they just didn't continue that trend with the RX-8 is all.

Do we really need to bring up rotarys, there are reasons noone uses them.

Just visit Europe and you will get a lifetime dose of them... Many traffic lights are replaced with rotaries now.

Edit: Oh - you were thinking of Wankels...

453747.png

Can you link where you've found new Audi's for 30k? :D I've only seen the A4 around here in the NW for $33k-35k and more...

With the fact that I work in a fairly wealthy area I can say that I have in over 10 years never seen a new Audi for under $30k since maybe 99 or 00.

To put it in perspective, towards the end of 928 production (93/94ish) our dealership sold the most Porsche 928s in the world............. and I mean world not country.We are one of the largest A8/S8 dealers (top 5 easily). We don't see that many cheap/low optioned cars often.

Archived