LegacyGT.com

Sway bar suggestions 05 lgt

oside13

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why the 50/50 split of people that say bigger front bar, or bigger rear bar? Just a matter of preference I guess? I have 22f 25r Perrin setup with endlinks and it is not all that difficult for me to get the rear end out.

Idk where you've seen a 50/50 mix. It's almost entirely either even front and rear or front larger than rear on the Legacy's. With the larger bar in the back it'll step out very easily. (which you've obviously experienced)

Is there a big difference between the JDM hollow 20mm and the Ralitek 19mm solid bar for stiffness? Would the ralitek be too much paired with a stock FSB?

Bump for some input...

Idk where you've seen a 50/50 mix. It's almost entirely either even front and rear or front larger than rear on the Legacy's. With the larger bar in the back it'll step out very easily. (which you've obviously experienced)

Think I was misinformed about my sway decision?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd go 25mm F&R if I could but the N/A cars have clearance issues with the turbo bars and the biggest aftermarket bars for the FRONT of the N/A are 22mm.

I went with the Perrin 22mm rear and very happy with it - just installed it today. I would have gotten the 25mm but don't think I can put a true 25mm bar on the front so there would have been too much oversteer which can be dangerous in slippery conditions etc.

I'll be installing a 25mm bar from a B9 Tribeca soon to match up with the 22mm Perrin rear.

I'm running Swift springs on Bilsteins so the ride is quite firm. 25mm bars might be too much for some with this setup but I would like to get as gokart-like as possible, particularly since it's a wagon :)

Perhaps the wagons could benefit from the stiffer bars more than the sedans?

• 1 month later...

I want to do Sway Bars on my '05 GT Wagon. I would have liked to get the Cobb sway bars but with them being out of production :( I wonder how many sites actually still have the correct bars for an '05 Legacy GT in stock.

Since Cobb never seemed to publish thickness data, just stiffness, it is hard to select from other manufacturers. I'm not sure what size I should be getting front & rear :confused: if I have to buy Cusco, Perrin, Rallitex, Whiteline, Zero, etc., instead of Cobb. My suspension is currently stock and sway bars are the only change I am contemplating since this is my daily driver and will not be seeing any trackdays or autocrosses.

What would you do in my situation?

+1 for Perrin bars - get a matched set. 25mm if you're not planning to change the springs/struts or 22mm if you plan to go to a stiffer spring/strut combo in future.

I'd pass on the spherical bearing endlinks though and go with a poly bushing style for better longevity.

it seems alot of members who put perrin 22 F&R on are wishing they put 25s on their car. Are alot of you guys running stock setup?

My plan is to do the 25 F&R with endlinks (all from perrin) in about a month or so. My car is currently stock, but i wanna get it ready for some serious upgrades so i wanna get a complete performance overhaul on my suspension. I was thinking to put springs on (Swifts prolly) and Koni strut inserts/replacements and didnt know if 25 would be overkill at that point..... mabye a 25F and 22R would be better after the spring/strut upgrade or just straight 22s.

Im looking for great handling (as we all are) Drifting would be fun, but im not trying to take a turn too aggressively and end up at a body shop for a 2nd time. Input would be great.

I have the Perrin 22mm F&R sway bars with perrin's endlinks. I also went with wider 235/17 summer tires. I have raced it in some higher speed (70 mph) autocrosses stock and with the new tires and sways. The understeer was greatly reduced and it will now oversteer in a decreasing radius turn. It never did that stock. I would think bigger sways would cause oversteer to happen more often. If you have never experienced oversteer, it could cause you to crash. It put me into a spin on the autocross course the first time it happened.

Rallitek setup is 22m front and 19mm rear

What is stock 19mm front 17mm rear?

According to Perrin's website, stock is 21mm front, 15mm rear.

It is interesting that RalliTEK's rear bar is smaller than the JDM 20mm rear bar which they also sell.

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted Cobb about what would be an appropriate substitute for the sway bars they used to offer. Here is the correspondence.

Mike Aldea wrote:

I wanted to purchase Cobb tubular front & rear sway bars for my '05 Legacy GT to reduce the understeer but understand that Cobb Tuning is no longer producing sway bars for my car. I could use some help in making an intelligent decision about alternative solid sway bars.

What size front & rear sway bars would provide similar performance to your discontinued tubular sway bars?

Can you recommend any particular manufacturer's solid sway bars over the others that are available?

My Legacy is my daily driver and will never see a trackday or be autocrossed. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

======================================================

Michael,

Our sway bars were a 25mm hollow sway bar which would be equivalent of a 22mm - 23mm solid bar. We haven't tested any other brands of sway bars on the LGT, but it seems like the Cusco sway bars are also very popular.

If you live in New Jersey you may want to contact a shop called Akuma Motorsports. They can help you choose a good sway bar kit for your vehicle and help you out with the install if you do not feel comfortable installing them yourself.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-----

Chris Haag

Sales/Tech Support

COBB Tuning

www.cobbtuning.com

• 1 month later...

It is interesting that Fred Bean wants $23 more for a 22mm rear than for the 25mm rear. You would think that the larger bar would be the more expensive one.

Perrin recommends:

For street enthusiasts that simply want to attack the drive to work with more gusto, the 22mm (7/8”) upgrade is the ideal choice. While dedicated track hounds will delight in the increased snap now available from our 25mm (1”) offering.

I'm assuming that going with a larger rear bar than the front would produce undesirable handling with AWD.

For FWD VW GTIs, Shine Racing was a proponent of larger rear sways than front. A lot of VeeDubbers tried them and ended up agreeing. Just goes to show that what works well on one type of car isn't necessarily a good idea on another.

I'm assuming that going with a larger rear bar than the front would produce undesirable handling with AWD.

I think just about all of us have larger rear bars than fronts. The larger rear bar helps with understeer. I know my Cobb set has a larger rear. I think the stockers were the same way.

It is interesting that Fred Bean wants $23 more for a 22mm rear than for the 25mm rear. You would think that the larger bar would be the more expensive one.

Perrin recommends:

For FWD VW GTIs, Shine Racing was a proponent of larger rear sways than front. A lot of VeeDubbers tried them and ended up agreeing. Just goes to show that what works well on one type of car isn't necessarily a good idea on another.

It's also important to note that different cars use different length swaybars...so sizing may not be applicable from one car to another. :)

We generally like milder swaybars for the Legacy, in the 22mm range.

- Andrew

Archived