LegacyGT.com

Sway bar suggestions 05 lgt

oside13

I think just about all of us have larger rear bars than fronts. The larger rear bar helps with understeer. I know my Cobb set has a larger rear. I think the stockers were the same way.

Yes increasing the rear bar size helps reduce understeer. But I think you are in error about the sizing. Most aftermarket sway bars sets offered for the Legacy 2.5 GT are either equal size front & rear or the front is larger by 2-3 mm over the rear.

Cobb told me their sway bars were equal size front & rear.

Our sway bars were a 25mm hollow sway bar which would be equivalent of a 22mm - 23mm solid bar.

-----

Chris Haag

Sales/Tech Support

COBB Tuning

www.cobbtuning.com

According to Perrin's website, the OEM sway bars are 21mm front, 15mm rear.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'm about to take the dive and bu some sways in the next few days. from other members reviews i know i want the perrin 25mm for the front but i'm still undecided between the perrin 22mm and the perrin 25mm. with the 25mm in the rear am i going too far for just sspirited driving? this car will never see a drag strip or autoX course. give some help!!

i'm about to take the dive and bu some sways in the next few days. from other members reviews i know i want the perrin 25mm for the front but i'm still undecided between the perrin 22mm and the perrin 25mm. with the 25mm in the rear am i going too far for just sspirited driving? this car will never see a drag strip or autoX course. give some help!!

If it's not going to see a course of any kind, get a 22 F+R. Why go bigger if you'll never need the added size? That, and that large of a bar will make the car a lot snappier on the street. And even more so in bad weather.;)

i just put 22mm Perrins on the F&R. Coupled with a drop on Tien H techs. I very much like my handling compared to what it was over stock. I really wanted to eliminate alot of body roll as this is what I attribute a recent accident to (along with higher than necessary speeds), and i feel ive accomplished that.

If your not gonna upgrade endlinks, i think 25mm is overkill. The endlinks are dainty to say the least and id be afraid that 25 may snap them rather easily. I didnt want the added cost of endlinks yet, so i stuck with my stockers and have my 22s set on soft all the way around. Ill eventually get some Rallitek links and adjust my sways to the stiffer setting. Also, as stated previously, bigger bars may compromise safety in the elements (possibly easier to slide around). speculation on my part though

lastly, if you updrgade rear bars, you should increase rear factory mounting (AVOs are beefier than Perrins IMO).

• 1 month later...

Latest word from Perrin is the 22MM Rear sway bar has been discontinued.

--- On
Thu, 12/10/09, Chris @ PERRIN Performance
wrote:

Michael,

Thanks for your interest in PERRIN! I'm sorry, our 22MM rear sway bar has been discontinued. We only have the 25MM front and rear, and 22MM front bar left in inventory, and once they're gone, they're gone! If you were to upgrade your bars, I'd recommend upgrading the same size bars in the front and back(22mm front and back, or 25mm front and back for example). If you have any more questions, let me know, thanks!

Chris Cone

Tech Services

PERRIN Performance™

AIM: altaperrinsales5

1-503-693-1702

The way I read his email it sounds to me like all the Perrin sway bars for '05-'09 Legacy 2.5GTs are going away just like the Cobb sway bars. :( I guess there isn't enough demand for sway bars for used vehicles.

I wonder what the chances are of finding a used set of Perrin 22MM sway bars in the Marketplace thread?

i purchased 22mm perrin F & R bars from fred beans last month. maybe perrin sold the last of their inventory in that $109 sale because they were discontinuing the parts? im finally getting my sways installed tomorrow but the h-techs will wait till spring time to get installed

im planning on getting perrin 25 mm front and rear, i prefer oversteer to understeer, at least oversteer is controllable. when i buy them i will just be waiting to put them on until i find endlinks i want, not sure which im going to go with yet.

however i believe i will get perrin endlinks and brackets as well, im OCD like that, if it is all the same brand, most likely they were all designed to work properly together for best results versus mixing brands.

planning on next year picking up a set of coilovers, not set on a specific setup yet, still open to suggestions with those. pretty set on perrin bars though, i really am am big fan of perrin parts

i finally installed my perrin 22mm F&R bars today. pretty straight forward install, rallitek HD endlinks are solid to say the least. everything mated up perfect with ease and looks/feels great. the rear perrin brackets were not needed for installs on 07-09's but did look pretty impressive for any of you in need of rear brackets. the body roll is almost non-existent now and i am super impressed with the feel of the ride now. h-techs go in first signs of spring!!

• 1 month later...

I'm looking to upgrade my suspension soon and still haven't made up my mind which sway bars to get. I haven't gotten to ride in anyone else's car, so I don't know how to judge/guess the difference between bar sizes. Does the size difference really make that much of a change from one size to the next? I have a 2009 LGT which is currently stock. Suspension will be my first upgrade. Not planning to track the car, but don't want a weak suspension either. My two three choices at this point are:

A) -Progress 22mm Front (adj.) Sway Bar

-Progress 22mm Rear (adj.) Sway Bar/ w/ reinforcement brackets

-Kartboy Front/Rear Endlink Combo

B) -Whiteline 22mm Front (adj.) Sway Bar

-Whiteline 20mm Rear (adj.) Sway Bar

-Kartboy Front/Rear Endlink Combo

-AVO Rear Stabilizer Mount Reinforcement

C) -RalliTEK Sway Bar 22mm Front

-RalliTEK Sway Bar 19mm Rear

-RalliTEK HD Front Endlinks

-RalliTEK HD Rear Endlinks

-AVO Rear Stabilizer Mount Reinforcement

Progress is my first choice because both bars are the same F/R and both are adjustable. The whiteline I suppose could become the same since they are adjustable, but I don't know if that limits my options. The RalliTEK seem to be decent bars for a little less money, but the 3mm difference from front to rear seem a bit much. As I mentioned earlier, will the 22mm rear be a big difference from the 19mm rear? Or is the change more subtle? Since my car will primarily be a daily driver with spirited weekend driving, will the Progress 22mm F/R going to be more than I really need?

Sorry for the total overload of questions. I've read many of the sway bar threads, but haven't really come across these specific questions. Thanks for any help out there.

Is there a big difference between the JDM hollow 20mm and the Ralitek 19mm solid bar for stiffness? Would the ralitek be too much paired with a stock FSB?

I run the 19mm solid bar with the stock front bar, For daily driver

the 19mm ralitek was a nice improvement. I dont track the car at all.

It does feel way better on the mountain roads.;)

Thanks for the comments.

Perrin has the 25mm RSB on for $89.99 right now.

http://www.perrinperformance.com/products/show/770/SWAY-BAR-REAR-25mm?category=8&model=10

It's an awesome deal, but it seems like it would be too much. I'd have to go pretty big in front to match it.

(captainhook):

Why do so many people seem to favor the Perrin? Is it quality, fitment, results? since they don't have the 22mm, is one of the other brands (Progress, Whiteline, Cusco, etc.) just as comparable... such that I just need to pick a brand?

The RalliTEK Front/Rear seems like a great combo (i'm very tempted)... I just don't want to install it and wish I had a little more stiffness in the corners. Say the 22mm Front/22MM Rear. Is there really THAT much of a difference between the sizes?

(captainhook):

Why do so many people seem to favor the Perrin? Is it quality, fitment, results? since they don't have the 22mm, is one of the other brands (Progress, Whiteline, Cusco, etc.) just as comparable... such that I just need to pick a brand?

I wish I could give you an honest educated answer to that, but I just don't have experience with the other brands on Legacy's. My buddy had Progress bars on his Evo and loves them, but that really doesn't help you. I like my Perrin bars because they were an easy straight forward install, they're adjustable, they're solid construction and strong as hell (I flew up and over a high curb and they were fine), and used in conjunction with the Perrin end links the difference was quite honestly astounding. Of all of the performance mods I've thrown at the car, these bars were by and far the highest bang for the buck! And amazingly after 10 months mine still don't squeak. *knock on wood*

It seems that many people have been pretty satisfied with the Perrin 22mm Front and Rear. Maybe the Progress 22mm Front and Rear would be a good compromise. They aren't the Perrin, but are the same size many people seem to like. Kind of a middle of the road approach. Not too big, not too small. Since they are adjustable, I could compensate a little front or rear.

What size are all you guys running Front vs Back? With the Perrin 22F/25R, are you getting a bit more oversteer, or is the car pretty balanced? Most bars come with a slightly bigger front and slightly smaller rear. I'm guessing that running a similar size Front and Rear should neutralize the car a bit more... but not certain.

I'm very happy with my Whiteline sways. On the 'soft' setting they're moderately stiffer than stock, and on the 'stiff' setting they're significantly stiffer. I haven't used others so I can't offer any comparisons, but I think that since they're adjustable they're twice as likely to suit your taste. :)

If it matters, I'm running Pink springs on Tokico dampers.

I used Kartboy endlinks and would not buy them again. They come with bolts that don't quite fit, and klunk a lot until/unless you get them gorilla tight. Not a huge deal, but I really prefer to use stuff that actually fits like it's supposed to.

I used Kartboy endlinks and would not buy them again. They come with bolts that don't quite fit, and klunk a lot until/unless you get them gorilla tight. Not a huge deal, but I really prefer to use stuff that actually fits like it's supposed to.

MSI endlinks FTW. :)

What size are all you guys running Front vs Back? With the Perrin 22F/25R, are you getting a bit more oversteer, or is the car pretty balanced? Most bars come with a slightly bigger front and slightly smaller rear. I'm guessing that running a similar size Front and Rear should neutralize the car a bit more... but not certain.

I would most definitely NOT go 22F/25R, if anything you want the opposite . . . unless you like tearing up the diff while drifting. I went 22/22 because I didn't know any better at the time, but since adjusted them to front stiff, rear soft settings. The rear end I can rotate out on demand as it is, with a 25mm it would be a serious pain making sharp turns in the rain or snow.

Subimods.com say they have a Perrin Sway 22mm Rear for $229.99. Don't know if this bar is in stock since Perrin doesn't have the 22mm Rear Anymore. $229.99 is a little more expensive too, since I still would need endlinks.

http://www.subimods.com/perrin-sway-bar-rear-22mm.html

Subimod.com also is offering the Cobb sway bars which have been out of production even longer than the Perrin 22mm rear bars. :confused:

They claim:

We are a Real Facility, we have two locations we are able to stock and ship from. We are a Brick & Mortar Facility. We have been through the ringer dealing with fly by night companies. We are DIRECT with DEALERS, we put their products IN STOCK!
Which would seem to indicate that they have left over stock :redface: or they don't update their web site as to what they carry.:spin:

Has anybody had any experience buying from them recently?

Kartboy has a set of spacers specifically for their endlinks and Whiteline bars; maybe that would make it fit like it's supposed to?

http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16185&cat=264&bestseller=Y

That would be nice. Kartboy endlinks are much more affordable than the other brands I'm familiar with. Whiteline bars seen pretty reputable and offer that "middle of the road" sizing.

Where have people purchased the MSI endlinks from? I could find them for the legacy.

Archived