LegacyGT.com

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S "silent recall"

stanjk3

So, update on my situation. I went into a Goodyear store and even though Goodyear Customer Support had given them a heads up, they still looked at me as if I were crazy and started to give me the usual "it's your alignment" story. They also tell me that he's sold many F1 A/S and have not heard of this issue before, blah, blah, blah.

I ask the guy to just call it in with Goodyear anyway, and he takes his measurements and calls customer support. A few minutes later, he comes up to me a little shocked and tells me that they okayed it -- just like that (told you so).

In my case, they will replace with the same exact model and I just need to pay for mounting and balance.

I hope that the "improved" F1s do better this time around.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^Did you have the put on originally at a Goodyear store? If so do what I did. I called the customer service when I was told by the store that I was responsible for mounting and balancing. I told customer service that these were defective tires and that I shouldn't be responsible for they mounting and balancing. I also made them aware that there is a TireRack issue with Goodyear F1 A/S tires. If they were purchased from TireRack they are taken back without any evaluation and you are given new tires and $100 for mounting. The customer service rep called the Goodyear store and had them authorize road force mounting and balancing for no charge.

^Did you have the put on originally at a Goodyear store? If so do what I did. I called the customer service when I was told by the store that I was responsible for mounting and balancing. I told customer service that these were defective tires and that I shouldn't be responsible for they mounting and balancing. I also made them aware that there is a TireRack issue with Goodyear F1 A/S tires. If they were purchased from TireRack they are taken back without any evaluation and you are given new tires and $100 for mounting. The customer service rep called the Goodyear store and had them authorize road force mounting and balancing for no charge.

Great -- I'll call and ask them that. Thanks. Even if they say no, I'll still be happy that I'm getting a brand new set free after over a year.

But to me, the cupping and feathering is a bigger issue than the noise.

I would think to some degree, the cupping and feathering are likely major contributors (if not the causes themselves) to the noise.

I sure would be interested in learning more about this "redesign"....at least enough to get some sense of whether it's just marketing b.s. or truly a different, improved design.

Tim

Don't ask, tell them you're aware that these tires have issues and that had you purchased them from TireRack you'd be compensated for their installation. Why should TireRack customers be treated differently?

I got the installation covered. If you bring up Tire Rack, they will keep telling you that it was a special case (seems to be their drawer statement) and the offer was a Tire Rack program, not theirs. But, they will offer you reimbursement anyway.

I spoke with the Goodyear dealer today and they were very surprised at how easily the replacement tires were offered. The dealer noted it was very atypical --normally they would do some kind of pro-rated coverage. So, everything indicates that they know more than they are telling.

Told you they'd cover it once you mentioned the TireRack deal.

That's why I did not get the F1 as a replacement. I think there's some issue with these, hence the lack of resistance to replacement from GY. I heard the Eagle GT wasn't much better. Getting my Dunlop SP Sport Signatures put on in a couple of hours.

I believe that if you bought these from TireRack you could get any brand of similar tire. Since I got these from a GY store, I am limited to the GY brands (GoodYear, Dunlop or Kelly).

I would think to some degree, the cupping and feathering are likely major contributors (if not the causes themselves) to the noise.

Tim

That could be the case, but even without cupping and feathering they are loud. I took off 3 year old max performance Eagle F1 GS-D3 summer tires with over 20k miles on them and put on brand new Eagle F1 A/S tires. The F1 A/S tires were much louder than the max performance tires even when they were brand new, with no cupping, and the car had been aligned approx 6 months prior.

I got the same ones. I figured that the odds on getting 2 sets from a bad batch were slim and Goodyear was very easy to deal with so if these go bad in 5k miles I will get another new set :)

are the new ones any quieter?

Got my Dunlop SP Sport Signatures put on today. Only had them a couple of miles so I can't say much about the handling. What I can say is that they are drastically quieter than the F1 A/S. I can't believe how loud those tires where until they were off. I thought it was brake pad to rotor noise and vibration I was feeling. It was those lousy tires. Cabin noise down drastically as well as noise when braking and vibration when braking.

I got an email back from my guy at Tire Rack and was asked to call in with the order number. Sounds like I'll get mine replaced. They don't bug me (yet) but the feathering is there.

other than the noise, has anybody with a replacement set noticed any difference otherwise (performance/response etc)? I'm more than happy with the handling on them so I don't want to lose performance for quiet.

Well, other than the tires being noticeably quieter (no surprise since the new ones are not feathered) I really can't tell what's different. Same tread design and seems to drive/handle similar.

In my case, GY didn't give me a choice in choosing another model, but I really didn't have anything else in the GY/Dunlop line that interested me. I figured I got over a year free with the original set so I'll just toss them if the problem comes back. I think this is the last GY tire I ever get.

I called Tire Rack today and ordered a replacement set of Eagle F1 Asymmetric's to replace my 8,000 mile F1 all seasons, which is nice, because I no longer need an all season tire. I couldn't believe how loud those tires got in just over a year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to break it to you all, but, there's no replacement version yet released. Anybody who's had their tires replaced with the same model - well, you got new tires of the same design (so not a total loss).

Tire Rack told me Goodyear is replacing the design with a new one that ships end of Sept or Oct. They're sold out of the current ones as they were 86'ed in favor of the redesign.

I was offered a choice of F1 GS-D3 or GTII for an all-season. Frankly, both are below the level of the F1 All-Season. I pushed back and am getting a set of F1 Asymmetric instead (on par with what I purchased).

I was offered a choice of F1 GS-D3 or GTII for an all-season. Frankly, both are below the level of the F1 All-Season. I pushed back and am getting a set of F1 Asymmetric instead (on par with what I purchased).

F1 GS-D3 are certainly not below the level of the F1 all season, taking into account they're not all seasons of course. Otherwise, a better tire in all respects.

I was offered the F1 asymmetrics by Tire Rack as an initial option with no "pushing back" when I said I no longer required an all season and could use a set of summer tires. I chalk that up to a more experienced sales person for my transaction.

F1 GS-D3 are certainly not below the level of the F1 all season, taking into account they're not all seasons of course. Otherwise, a better tire in all respects.

after owning all three models we're discussing, I'd respectfully disagree. Steering response on teh F1 A/S is superior to the GS-D3 with overall grip lacking of course due to compound. I found the F1 A/S to be on par with the stock '08 STI rubber as far as responsiveness. The GS-D3 are known for their lack of steering response (but comfy ride).

I too have owned all three. Perhaps the variances in sidewall construction from the different countries of origin on the GS-D3's played a part in our differing opinion. The GS-D3 has been the best tire in the wet I've ever driven on, including a track day in pouring rain. They're quieter than the all seasons (recall issues aside), and the level of grip due to the softer compound is dramatic, IMO.

After only a few miles on the new asymmetric replacements, I can comment that they do have noticeable sharper turn-in of all the models in question, but unfortunately are louder than even a well worn set of Gs-D3's, albeit quieter than the recalled all seasons.

Just had my entire set of Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S replaced courtsey of Goodyear. They let me choose any tires up to the value of the the Eagle F1's ($215 per tire). I went with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Plus. Drives like a new car now, no more crazy road noise. I originally purchased from Discount Tire, so they even hooked me up with free install.

Archived