LegacyGT.com

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S "silent recall"

stanjk3

I'm running into this very problem

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90910

So what's the story on this? How are they supposed to handle it? I am dropping the car off tomorrow at a Goodyear authorized retailer for inspection. Am I to receive a pro-rate, or replacement of the tire at no cost to me minus the installation price?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^Did you have them put on originally at a Goodyear store? If so do what I did. I called the customer service when I was told by the store that I was responsible for mounting and balancing. I told customer service that these were defective tires and that I shouldn't be responsible for they mounting and balancing. I also made them aware that there is a TireRack issue with Goodyear F1 A/S tires. If they were purchased from TireRack they are taken back without any evaluation and you are given new tires and $100 for mounting. The customer service rep called the Goodyear store and had them authorize road force mounting and balancing for no charge.

I will do that, thank you. I did mention the TireRack recall and the fact that there was no pro-rating BS, so if they try to give me the run-around, I will go there and have them call Goodyear on the spot. If they still insist on the pro-rate and all that crap, I will ask for it all in writing.

The rep just called me back and asked me specific questions regarding when I had them put on, when I had them balanced, did I ever had an alignment done, blah blah. Gave him all the facts, I had nothing to hide.

Tires were put on in July 2008 at 56K miles

Tires started getting noisy at 64K miles and that's when I also had them rotated at 8K miles in April 2009

I had an alignment check done at the dealer at 66K miles because they were still noisy. At this point I started suspecting a bearing making noise

Rotated again at 72K miles, still noisy, confirmed by the dealer all 4 tires are cupped

Tire inflation was always maintained at 35PSI front, 33PSI rear as per owner's manual.

Really, they got nothing on me. It's the damn tires.

Pretty sure I'm going to go with F1 A/S again unless the new design isn't out yet. I thought it was. I will check with them. If it's the same, I'm going to hold it against them that they are forcing me to go with either the same crappy problematic tire or a lesser tire. What they should be doing is simply give me the credit on the tires and let me be on my way, able to install whatever other tire wherever I feel like it. NOT hold me hostage to the same brand AND their store. I know for a fact this place is more expensive than Sam's Club in every respect.

Hate to break it to you all, but, there's no replacement version yet released. Anybody who's had their tires replaced with the same model - well, you got new tires of the same design (so not a total loss).

Tire Rack told me Goodyear is replacing the design with a new one that ships end of Sept or Oct. They're sold out of the current ones as they were 86'ed in favor of the redesign.

I was offered a choice of F1 GS-D3 or GTII for an all-season. Frankly, both are below the level of the F1 All-Season. I pushed back and am getting a set of F1 Asymmetric instead (on par with what I purchased).

I am aware of that post. I am just relaying what the rep told me on the phone. I was reassured numerous times I will be getting the new design. PGT's post being correct, we are in November so supposebly I am getting whatever design came out in Sept or Oct.

When he told me 14th of 09 I asked him again since last I checked 2009 doesn't have 14 months, nor are we past that :D He clarified stating 14th means the 14th week of the year. 14 divided by 4 is 3.5 so that's how I assumed it was mid-April when they revised the tires. Maybe they revised them again or 14/09 means something else.

I will be documenting all my rotations and doing them at the 6-8K recommended interval. Should they start howling again, I will be howling again at Goodyear and this time they won't be making me get another set of Goodyears.

Here is my situation. I bought these at Discount TIre when they first came out and have 30k on them now. I really shouldnt be driving on them because of the un-even tread wear. There is some cupping but not noisy (maybe because of the perrin catless TBE?) I'm not to picky but im not sure how the rest of you are. Anyways, there is also some uneven shoulder wear. I dont track the car but i drive it real hard and we have a ton of round abouts here. I have done the rotations myself every 8k or so and check the pressure regulary. I am a honest hard working guy and hate trying to get something for free but these tires are chewed up. Will I have a valid point complaining or should i shut up and enjoy getting 30k out of them?

Also funds are real tight right now and i cant afford $900.00 on new tires. Will someone express their opinion on cost vs performance on doing dedicated season tires vs AS? If its worth it then I could throw on some cheap snow tires now for $400.00 that will last me 3 winters and save up for new tires in the spring? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I think you have a valid complaint. Noise was really the reason people were going in and their tires were all showing uneven wear/cupping etc. Just because you don't have noise doesn't mean you don't have an issue. However ... rotating the tires yourself ... that's iffy. They will give you a hard time and blame it on you for not balancing the tires, etc. With me, the rep just asked me when I had my tires installed, where, how often I had them rotated. I read off the dates and miles and that was it. THey never asked for receipts, proof, etc.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Got a small hole in the sidewall of one of my tires last week, would only hold ~15psi. Took it to Just Tires last Sat, got the usual 'the cupping is probably from an alignment problem.' So I had them put on the donut spare, told him about the silent recall and to call Goodyear on Monday.

Got a call on Monday - Goodyear covered the 3 good tires for free, but I had to pay for install and the one that was punctured. Finally went in today and had Eagle GTs installed. My alignment was fine. They did pretty good in the snow on the way home.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived