LegacyGT.com

'05 Legacy/Outback in July Car And Driver/Road & Track

I just saw the July issues on CaD and R&T on a newsstand and had time to flip the pages. CaD has a generally favorable full test of the Outback with 2.5 turbo engine and auto trans. 0-60 is 7.1 sec. I guess we will have to wait another month for the test of the 2.5 GT sedan. R&T has a First Drive preview of the top-of-the-line Legacies and Outbacks. On the 2.5 GT they mention that the engine has a dead spot below 2500 rpm and that the turbo, which is felt from 3000 rpm, has an on-off character that is not ideally suited to this kind of car. The Outback with the 3.0 six gets more compliments. They also say that the new models should be available in the early fall. :roll: Must be fall already.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well every editor is different, some are absolutely against turbo cars no matter what and love big V8's, I've heard nothing to the fact they are that bad. We'll just have to wait and see.

I don't know.. I sure hope that those comments are misdirected and not genuinely true. We have heard from so many enthusiasts that have driven the car that it's great. I can't imagine that the masses are wrong but the C&D people are right. This does worry me a bit. Looks like the GT might not even be in the C&D top ten. Crap I tell you!

I am sorry for my poor reading comprehension :lol: I would have to agree that they don't seem to be biased against turbo cars, but that's not to say that the v-6 and 8's aren't the preffered powerplant for the typical american blockhead. I would have assumed that the power delivery would have been quite linear. The mags didn't complain too much about the Forester XT did they? I thought they loved it!

I, too was disappointed by the added wait for a GT test in CaD and the comments on the engine in R&T. I had only a few minutes to look at the articles and was not going to buy the mags, as I am already a CaD subscriber (Thus, I get to read it after everyone else). If anyone can get hold of the articles, more detail could be posted here.

[quote name='BernardP']I, too was disappointed by the added wait for a GT test in CaD and the comments on the engine in R&T. I had only a few minutes to look at the articles and was not going to buy the mags, as I am already a CaD subscriber (Thus, I get to read it after everyone else). If anyone can get hold of the articles, more detail could be posted here.[/quote] My copy of C&D and R&T came today, lucky me, I also immediatly dug into the articles. Both were very complimentary. I got to say, I don't think the flat spot can be nearly as bad as on our WRX -- and as someone mentioned, didn't note it in the Forester XT we drove. (Couldn't handle the Forester styling and ride so passed on it.) More details: Auto trans Outback 2.5XT Limited zero to... 30 2.7 60 7.1 100 19.2 Top-gear: 3.4 (anyonew have figures on WRX for comparison??) 5-60 7.8 (v. 7.4 for WRX, really highlighting that WRX flatspot!) Braking and Skidpad were low, cause of the Outbacks tires and setup. They esp. highlight the Subies ground clearance and offroad capabilites. Also major kudos for the autoshift feature which allows you to drop down a gear from the steering wheel w/o having the gear lever in Manual mode. Would almost make me consider the auto!

Oh, and here's the exact quote from R&T: "While I love this engine in the WRX STi, I would have preferred something with a bit more linear acceleration in this car. There's a dead spot below 2500 rpm, and while the on-off nature of the turbocharger (which occurs around 3000 rpm) may be fun when driving in a spirited manner, it can get tiresome if racing around corners isn't your thing." OK, well that is my thing, so that's cool. Still worried about the flatspot though. Better: "Despite being awd, the Legacy reacts like a rear-wheel driver...more akin to something from Germany than Japan." Me likes!

[quote name='Gumby'] The 5-60 time is very impressive and indicative of real world acceleration.[/quote] Exactly. Implies to me that the manual version should actually beat the WRX in a lot of real-world driving situations.

So it looks like this engine has characteristics more similar to the Sti than the XT. That's fine with me but I guess people who aren't acustomed to Turbos will find it different. I wonder if that 45/55 torque split is noticeable and is the reason fro the "more like RWD" comment?

[quote name='Lodro'][quote name='Gumby'] The 5-60 time is very impressive and indicative of real world acceleration.[/quote] Exactly. Implies to me that the manual version should actually beat the WRX in a lot of real-world driving situations.[/quote] It's lighter in GT form as well so yes, easily I'd say.

So can any 5M performance extrapolations be made based on those numbers? Those numbers in themselves are not terribly impressive, but I'm not sure about how much the auto is killing them. FWIW, those acceleration numbers are about the same as a 325i manual. I sure hope the 5M GT spanks those numbers.

That review is sort of promising considering they reviewed the 5AT, in the Legacy's heaviest form, with the highest center of gravity. I imagine the review for a GT Ltd. sedan with 5MT will be a little different.

[quote name='gtguy']Personally, I don't give a rat's you-know-what at this point. My order's in, and I'm sure the car will rock my world. :D Kevin[/quote] I'd like to add that after test-driving the GT, I don't really care about numbers at this point. It's still a lot faster than what I have been driving, and A LOT of fun to drive. I didn't notice a "dead spot" below 2500RPM or whatever, so I'm not really sure what they are talking about.

Archived