LegacyGT.com

'05 Legacy/Outback in July Car And Driver/Road & Track

Interesting how our some of our lucky colleagues that were invited to Vegas to Subaru's Dealer Training event didn't notice any flat spots. Then again, they are a little biased in the other direction. Ken

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='gtguy']Personally, I don't give a rat's you-know-what at this point. My order's in, and I'm sure the car will rock my world. :D Kevin[/quote] Yeah, I am stoked either way. I don't much care what they have to say.. to a point.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil'] Yeah, I am stoked either way. I don't much care what they have to say.. to a point.[/quote] I, on the otherhand am paying close attention. Made the mistake of buying an 04 WRX thinking I could live w/ the quirky power delivery. Didn't even really start to bother me until I had the car for a month or so, as the on-boost power was so nice. So I am trying to be us as much judgement this time as I can.

[quote name='Lodro'][quote name='Dr. Zevil'] Yeah, I am stoked either way. I don't much care what they have to say.. to a point.[/quote] I, on the otherhand am paying close attention. Made the mistake of buying an 04 WRX thinking I could live w/ the quirky power delivery. Didn't even really start to bother me until I had the car for a month or so, as the on-boost power was so nice. So I am trying to be us as much judgement this time as I can.[/quote] Man, just take a quick trip to Cobb Tuning and get their Access Port. They'll take care of your power delivery for you.

I guess I'm just not as biased on this matter as some of those mag reviewer are who can toy with big V8's and move on to something else and get a chance to drive so many different cars in conditions much different than my normal drive. As much as the reviewers might not be biased, they still generally are to one end or another, regardless if they write for a journal, paper, magazine, whatever. Additional to that, I didn't find the FXT too bad and that is probably the closest comparison to the new GT, but the new GT will have taller gears (to my liking), heck, I'm even comfortable with an STi's power band and where it comes in. I know I'll be more than happy with the results regardless of what some V8 lovers think. :mrgreen:

[quote name='SUBE555']I guess I'm just not as biased on this matter as some of those mag reviewer are who can toy with big V8's and move on to something else and get a chance to drive so many different cars in conditions much different than my normal drive. As much as the reviewers might not be biased, they still generally are to one end or another, regardless if they write for a journal, paper, magazine, whatever. Additional to that, I didn't find the FXT too bad and that is probably the closest comparison to the new GT, but the new GT will have taller gears (to my liking), heck, I'm even comfortable with an STi's power band and where it comes in. I know I'll be more than happy with the results regardless of what some V8 lovers think. :mrgreen:[/quote] Uncanny! ;) that's what I was going to say... but you know my thoughts.

I came home today to find my July issue of Automobile -- same deal here too. Only a very brief write up of the OB XT 5EAT. No performance figures here. Disappointing.... Ken

[quote name='SC GT'] Man, just take a quick trip to Cobb Tuning and get their Access Port. They'll take care of your power delivery for you.[/quote] I wish it were that easy...general concensus seems to be that you aren't going to get that much gain below 3.5k.

Here is Cobb's maps for their Stage 1 (ECU Tune ONLY) and Stage 2 (ECU Tune + Turbo-Back) on the STi. [img]http://www.cobbtuning.com/sti/images/ap-sti-stage1.gif[/img] [img]http://www.cobbtuning.com/sti/images/ap-sti-stage2.gif[/img]

This thread helps me realize -- although I suppose I already knew it -- how much the carmakers and the auto mags are in bed together. With everyone getting their hands on 5MT GT's already, you would think the car mags would have had an instrumented test already. It seems fairly implausible that they don't. But if Subaru is planning a second "launch" for the Legacy line, then then that could explain the absence of a real GT road test. Like there's still some sort of "embargo" on it. Which is, [img]http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/bs.gif[/img]

[quote name='Lodro'][quote name='Dr. Zevil']You just need to keep the power on boost.. problem solved ;)[/quote] Yea, I'm going to drive everywhere in 3rd gear. Wonder what that will do to my fuel economy. :o[/quote] I was just messing with you. I think that there is plenty that you can do to get smoother and earlier delivery. Listen to Sube.. he sometimes knows what he is talking about. ;) You could always look into a twin scroll upgrade for the GT :D

Twin scroll would be neat, expensive, but cool nonetheless. Although Paul has talked extensively about the USDM version not needing it because of it's extra displacement over the JDM version.. but I am sure that every bit helps :D

I know that Zevil, it basically becomes a helper when you go with a turbo that in single ductile would spool a little later than desired, helps spool it up quicker and with the right size, last fairly long. But none-the-less, it is a bit more costly.

For displacement. Haha. I hate that phrase. Anyways, I was wondering. Let's say there was a twin scroll turbo. Sure there would be less lag, but would the gas mileage be reduced? I know people wouldn't care about this. Just wondering, that's all..
-ben

Probably some for 2.5L engines unless you're running a bigger turbo in which case the twin-scroll turbine unit is used for the power to come in sooner. Similar in idea to the reason the 2.0L engine uses one. But for our market where every penny is a make or break for some customers, the twin-scroll definitely isn't worth it for what the 2.5L has the ability to do. In essence, it would be pushing more air, sooner, especially with a twin-scroll unit, so very likely, yes. The only replacement for displacement is technology. ;) To an extent.

Archived