LegacyGT.com

'05 Legacy/Outback in July Car And Driver/Road & Track

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just to update: I got my C&D yesterday. They did not slag on the power delivery at all. In fact, they made mention about how the 2.5 now does not need counterweights and that to concur with Subaru's claims, it's extremely smooth and well-balanced in terms of vibration. They simply gave the power a thumbs-up and didn't diss it all. The graphs in the road-test portion also show it to the OB to be faster than about everything in its class... the 3.0 A4, the V6 4-motion Passat and the V70 XC. So the performance seems to be there. Also, the OB weighs ~300 lbs more than a GT wagon, so with a manual and less weight, I think we can all be assured that the performance figures for the GT wagon 5MT will fall where we expect them to.

[quote name='racerdave']Just to update: I got my C&D yesterday. They did not slag on the power delivery at all. In fact, they made mention about how the 2.5 now does not need counterweights and that to concur with Subaru's claims, it's extremely smooth and well-balanced in terms of vibration. They simply gave the power a thumbs-up and didn't diss it all. The graphs in the road-test portion also show it to the OB to be faster than about everything in its class... the 3.0 A4, the V6 4-motion Passat and the V70 XC. So the performance seems to be there. Also, the OB weighs ~300 lbs more than a GT wagon, so with a manual and less weight, I think we can all be assured that the performance figures for the GT wagon 5MT will fall where we expect them to.[/quote] This is good news. I have to go pick up a copy of that magazine. I didn't believe for a second that I would be disappointed. I am getting so sick of my WRX. I will be glad to get rid of it for a GT wagon.

When comparing apples to apples the Outback XT only weighs 80 pounds more than the GT. As a matter of fact, the Outback XT with 5MT weighs 20 pounds LESS than a Limited GT wagon with 5MT. Plus the XT has a 4.44:1 final drive vs. the GT's 4.11:1.0.

Soldon, the tires are larger in diameter though which sort of makes up for it. Considering the OB already is passing those cars in the course and the new GT is better equipped for that, shouldn't have any problems!

[quote name='SoldonSubie']When comparing apples to apples the Outback XT only weighs 80 pounds more than the GT. As a matter of fact, the Outback XT with 5MT weighs 20 pounds LESS than a Limited GT wagon with 5MT. Plus the XT has a 4.44:1 final drive vs. the GT's 4.11:1.0.[/quote] So the OBXT uses the same tranny as the FXT? Intresting...

I believe so, the Leggy also uses virtually the same but with different ring and pinion rears and perhaps some of the internal gear ratios (I'd have to look at the numbers again.)

[quote name='SUBE555']Soldon, the tires are larger in diameter though which sort of makes up for it. Considering the OB already is passing those cars in the course and the new GT is better equipped for that, shouldn't have any problems![/quote] I forgot to consider the 225's vs. the 215's. Still, I think the OB XT MT will be within a 1/2 second of the GT. At least that's what I'm hoping for :D

[quote name='SUBE555']Soldon, I wouldn't think that close if you took them to a road course, think of that extra room to move in those tires. I'm thinking road course more or less.[/quote] Again I'm with you there. But for me, more or less everyday driving without too much traffic, the gap narrows.

[quote name='SUBE555']And I'm getting mine based on the fact I will be racing mine, and I don't need all the extra frills OBs offer.[/quote] I'm jealous. For me racing is limited to "playing" with other suburbanites dring their Audi's and VW's. I must admit that I can, if everything goes right and I move the 4eat of my 01 OB into 1st and keep it there, surprise a few of them. Yesterday it as an a6 3.0. Kind of like "A" ball!

[quote name='racerdave']Same here... except I won't be racing it. I just don't need the frills - nor the extra 300 lbs. So it's base GT wagon for me. :)[/quote] Racerdave: I agree with you. If I could configure the perfect car I would make a base GT. No frills and great performance. I recently moved from 6,000-foot elevation to 7,000. Several times over the past few years I literally scraped the bottom of my 01 OB in deep snow. Got through but I wouldn't want to lose the clearance. Also, see my post on XT vs. GT. Comparably equipped the weight difference is only 85 pounds.

I've plowed the road to school across town with my GT at least a few times. :D Either way, I don't think you'll lose, and that turbo should help out at altitude. Should be a nice car regardless. I can respect that.

[quote name='SUBE555']I've plowed the road to school across town with my GT at least a few times. :D Either way, I don't think you'll lose, and that turbo should help out at altitude. Should be a nice car regardless. I can respect that.[/quote] I've been tempted to mount a plow on the front of my OB! I could make extra money plowing parking lots that way!!!

I also know guys in HS from a bit up north (vacation/rec lands) that knew where all the underage parties were and would pull cars out for nice sums of money in the winters so the kids wouldn't get cited by the cops when the cops towe their cars out. Paid for their parties. :lol: Oh wait, that's not Subaru related. :lol:

Soldon... where in Colo? Steamboat is about 7K... and has a Subaru dealer. :D I can understand in those conditions. Big time. I'd have a hard time deciding in that case too. We get snow in Wisconsin but not * that * kind of snow... CO mountain snow is just silly the rate it can come down. So that's why I'll feel fine going with the GT... plus we're kicking around the idea of moving to Portland or Seattle... maybe even Denver. So the GT should suffice for occasional forays into the mountains. If I lived there permanently (mountains) I'd probably go OB XT w/ 5MT too.

Racerdave: I'm actually in the Castle Pines area of Douglas County. I descend into Castle Rock, which is 6,300 feet so I'm guestimating the 7,000 number. I tend to travel very early in the morning (3:00 to 5:00 AM) and the plows aren't even out at that hour :cry:

I got the new issue today (early?) and I was impressed with C&D's impressions. I can't wait to see them with a GT and 5MT! :D Good issue in many respects, I like the new '05 Porsche look too.

Archived