LegacyGT.com

Discovered Group N LCA Bushing for Legacy

ifbiker

IMHO I would wait to get the Group N bushings especially if you live in a state where it snows. Poly is going to squeak and doesn't work best when loaded off axis.

Most importantly be sure to replace the front bushing in the LCA. Since you will have to pull the LCA to replace the rear bushing you might as well replace the front on too. Plus you will be amazed at who compliant the stock bushing is.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I'm probably going to go with the AVO's. Now, increased caster or not? ;)

Absolutely. Both of my bushings were the offset type, which increases caster.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

IMHO I would wait to get the Group N bushings especially if you live in a state where it snows. Poly is going to squeak and doesn't work best when loaded off axis.

Most importantly be sure to replace the front bushing in the LCA. Since you will have to pull the LCA to replace the rear bushing you might as well replace the front on too. Plus you will be amazed at who compliant the stock bushing is.

Well, it doesn't snow here much. OK it snowed quite a bit last year but that was quite odd. I guess if I really don't like the ride I can always get some of these Group N bushings and swap back. I did get the front bushings as well as you recommended. New ball joints as well. ;-)

Thanks to everyone who have tried this out and reported their results. I've got the offset AVO's coming with everything to be installed on Sunday!

<- Very excited. :D;)

Cheers!

http://whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=KCA334

Also sold by Rallitek

http://www.rallitek.com/whankitkc.html

I installed a set on an 09 STI a few weeks ago. We just bought an LGT Wagon for my wife and the front LCA rear bushing is torn, I think I will be going with the whiteline ALK over stock.

I've had no noise from Whiteline sway bars and poly bushings or the poly bushings in their aluminum endlinks for the WRX. And I'm in Calgary, it gets cold here. We'll see how the ALK goes on the wifes LGT.

^ so you have this bushing replaced on a new STi?

i'm wondering guys, the bushing ripping, is not specific to the legacy? since the wrx and sti are similar in design now, they will eventually rip too? funny, my cousins 05 TL, the rear bushing for the front LCA, similar to ours, is also ripping. common problem going bad 30-50k miles also; and acura fixed it by going back to the old design on the latest gen TL.

I think Jeremy from Fred Bean Parts needs to chime in on this. I'm EXTREMELY interested right now! I'm actually in the process of changing from SuperPro's to stock because the SuperPros all worked them selves out.

What do you mean "all"? Mine are fine and I installed my superpros myself when they first came out.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

^ so you have this bushing replaced on a new STi?

Whiteline has the same part # for the 08+ WRX and STI and the 05-09 Legacy GT.

And yes I've installed this kit on an 09 STI. Not because of tearing but for the ALK. Hmm I have some brand new

09 STI bushings from that install that I could snag. Does the wife really need and ALK ? Or should I say

do I need an ALK when I drive the wifes car ?

KCA334 - if the group n bushings are not available anymore then this

is an option, and as a bonus includes Anti-lift characteristics and allows you to adjust caster.

• 2 weeks later...
is a new alignment needed when replacing LCA bushing, offset or standard?

good question! I'd love to know the answer!

I'm about to replace the steering rack, lower front/rear and sway bar bushings. I was hoping that someone would have these Group N bushings on their car, but it looks like it's taking some time to get them in people's hands. Any initial thoughts about Group N v. Whiteline?

• 1 month later...
I just ordered my Group N rear bushing and I am debating on the front. The Group N front bushing is $54 anid the STI one is $36. For the little price difference wouldnt it be worth it to have the same stiffness on the LCA? or would you not notice any differece and be wasting $36? I get from this thread and the qualified people posting on here you wouldnt notice the difference and would just be wasting your money. Just making sure....

The difference between the stock bushing and the STi is a big jump considering the stock bushing has cut outs and the STi bushing is solid. Both Group N and STi are solid bushings so I suspect the difference is much smaller and less noticable which is why I went with STi over Group N. If you plan on tracking the car or some other servere duty then I would go with Group N all the way around.

When you install the rear bushings be sure to mark its orientation in the LCA. The new bushing needs to be pressed in the same orientation. When you do the final torque on the front LCA bolt, do it with the car on thr ground, this way you are tightening the bolt with the LCA in its "home" position. If you torque the bolt while the car is in the air you will bind the bushing when the car is on ground.

Awsome thanks, I appreciate all that put the info in this thread, I did end up ordering both Group N's yesterday. I think it would have bothered me down the road that they were different. ^ i definately woulndt have done that one unless it was in the pics. Thanks to all who put the good info and part numbers in here.

Also, rallispec said they ordered some rear diff bushings for a legacy this week. They were 99 percent sure that they would fit since they were for the STI. They were group N mounts, anyone on here? i would love to hear some reviews and if they did fit?

Edited by wsmith30132

In addition to the front LCA rear bushings, I also 08 STI Group N rear diff cross member bushings and rear diff bushings on my LGT. They fit.

Were they worth it? So when I go to remove / istall these LCA Group N front and rear bushings can just match up a socket with the inner sleeve and tap them in / out? Will I need to add any grease to the inside of these? A post earlier mentiond the suspenion grease but didnt go into much detail.

I also read on NASIOC where someone made a homemade puller. They used a pipe were the I.D. was bigger than the O.D. of the bushing but still fit on the arm. The pipe rests on the LCA. They used all-thread that goes through the pipe and bushing. On the bushing end the used flat washers that match up to the sleeves with a long nut.( the long nut allows you to still back the nut as it travels thought the LCA). On the open pipe end they used a piece of sheet metal with a hole through it and same concept. On this side though you will only need a regular nut.

Any opinions would be appreciated before i dig into this. Thanks

You need a press and properly sized socket/tool to press the bushing.

Can't say about the rear diff bushings because I put 6MT tranny and R180 diff at the same time. It transformed the car all around. I put the diff bushings to combat the infamous growiling noise when accelerating in cold. It hasn't got too cold yet, but so far the noise is gone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Group N bushings usually have the "markings", even part numbers on them as the softer stock parts... because they are made in the same molds. However they are assigned unique part numbers.

Part # for stock 08+ STi and 06+ SpecB bushing is 20204AG011. It's still soft, perhaps *tad* fitmer than stock LGT bushing.

I have a brand new take off pair (from new LCAs) for sale if anyone is interested...

Just came in today... here's a pic. gonna fill them in with windshield urethane adhesive tomorrow and get them installed and see if that makes a difference.

My stock ones lasted 130000kms lowered 1" under normal driving conditions.

IMG00405.thumb.jpg.87c9108bf2c5747a5cf009a77a8cdd0f.jpg

IMG00406.thumb.jpg.eef65a8e9454021769a6d7288ca87131.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm going to go with Group N's for front and rear LCA and have only heard people say they've gotten them from RalliSpec but I couldn't find them on their website. I assume people just called? Talk to anyone specific?

How are your group N's holding up?

This thread is awesome, thanks to all who participated!