LegacyGT.com

Intake silencer removal walk-through

^^ You're right, yours was just completely useless. My first post in this simply was to state that my car ran great with it off, then arctec started arguing about everything. I think only one post in here was actually on how to do it and the rest was morons arguing, yes I will include myself in that bc i am guilty

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just did this mod last night at 10 (I was bored) did it in about 10 mins very simple. And I got exactly what I wanted. I can hear my turbo :D now i just need a slightly more defined bov and ill be set. Thanks for the walkthrough I dont know what I'd do without them

• 4 months later...

Tried this the other day, and have had it off for a few days now. Noticeable sound difference in the intake and slight blowoff? sound. It sounds pretty sick, plus you get some decent whoooommpppp when you step on it.

Don't know if I'm fooling myself but the car seems a little bit slower and less peppy however..

So has anyone logged how it does with milk jug off and hole left behind sealed off to the outside world? I also had a K&N drop in, stage 2 e-tune and didn't have noticable issues like stalls or cels. 2 and a half weeks later my blitz grille came in the mail and the front half of the intake box was omitted.

i think if you seal the hole it's gonna be similar to if the milk jug was never off in the first place
Reason I say is the sound will still be difrent of the jug being there since this is what the mod was for. Subaru thought the "diesel VW sound" was a NVH issue.

The sound we hear is the turbo induction and bypass air return once that box is removed. On my blitz setup it's identical but 10Xs louder. Hell on my mazda 6 they had a flap on our airbox that was opened by vacuum solenoid @ certain rpms. It was kinda our way of hearing "VTAKK" kick in. LOL! Point I'm making(Untested) is covering that hole should give you a difrent sound than having that jug on. On another car we had a stick looking resonator doing the same thing but was closer to the TB. Caping off that end with a plug from home depot made the intake noises noticeably louder than stock.

The sound we hear is the turbo induction and bypass air return once that box is removed. On my blitz setup it's identical but 10Xs louder. Hell on my mazda 6 they had a flap on our airbox that was opened by vacuum solenoid @ certain rpms. It was kinda our way of hearing "VTAKK" kick in. LOL! Point I'm making(Untested) is covering that hole should give you a difrent sound than having that jug on. On another car we had a stick looking resonator doing the same thing but was closer to the TB. Caping off that end with a plug from home depot made the intake noises noticeably louder than stock.

i don't have a turbo so i don't get the turbo induction noise hah

• 2 months later...
Reason I say is the sound will still be difrent of the jug being there since this is what the mod was for. Subaru thought the "diesel VW sound" was a NVH issue.

I did this mod this morning after heading off to go golfing. Took about 10 minutes total for disassembly and reassembly minus the milk jug. But instead of having the hole at the bottom of the air box, I found a cap from a Tide detergent bottle that fit perfectly in the hole. From what I was thinking, the air comes through the air duct INTO the box and for the air to then be sucked in through the filter, it should NOT have a way for the air to escape (i.e. through the bottom hole instead of into the intake). I noticed after taking off the milk jug that there was a tiny hole in the bottom of it for water drainage maybe? So i drilled the same size hole in the Tide cap.

I have noticed the turbo whine is more distinct now and the Woooshh sound sounds pretty badass. I did not have the CEL light come on NOR did I notice the car studder or stall at all. I actually think since the cap is keeping pressure inside the main airbox that it is actually performing better than if there was a hole in the bottom of the box. Now I just gotta buy a AVO panel filter as the previous owner of the car had the stock paper filter installed :eek:

Ill put a picture up tomorrow as I'm at work right now.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not doing anything for gas milage imo and it's more likely losing you an unnoticeable amount of performance vs gaining an unnoticeable amount of performance.

In closed loop the ecu will compensate for any additional air with increased fuel trims.

Why cap it? I added a 90 degree silicone bend that draws are from my fog light deletes.

Just started playing with the idea, I will get a custom tune soon, but I should do some logging before weighing in.

Removed the jug on a 2007 2.5i impreza, and the problems were very noticable in driving and logging. NA's now use what's commonly called the "williaty mod"

Why cap it? I added a 90 degree silicone bend that draws are from my fog light deletes.

Just started playing with the idea, I will get a custom tune soon, but I should do some logging before weighing in.

Removed the jug on a 2007 2.5i impreza, and the problems were very noticable in driving and logging. NA's now use what's commonly called the "williaty mod"

i was gonna do that to mine as well

I would caution against that, I'm not sure how similar it is to the impreza intake system, but for the NA models, it may not be recommended. At least make sure you can log the effect. If your maf voltage is smooth, and you see a linear and consistent increase in g/s over rpm, then go for it.

I just installed an AVO high flow along with my silencer removal and an ECU reset. I personally like the added noise when accellerating. I also personally believe anyone who has milage drops is simply due to flooring it everywhere just to hear the noise. I noticed I was doing the same thing.

I also personally believe anyone who has milage drops is simply due to flooring it everywhere just to hear the noise. I noticed I was doing the same thing.
That AEM took 10 mpg from me in the beginning!

It's not doing anything for gas milage imo and it's more likely losing you an unnoticeable amount of performance vs gaining an unnoticeable amount of performance.

In closed loop the ecu will compensate for any additional air with increased fuel trims.

Removed the Tide cap this last weekend to see what it does to mileage/performance. So far there is no noticeable difference in the BOV sound as compared to taking the stock airbox jug off. will give results later this week.

Just drove NYC to DC and back... averaged 25mpg and spent a pretty decent amount of time stuck in traffic. I would say that's no change...I've seen as high 26.5 when it was clear sailing the whole way on a long trip.

Just drove NYC to DC and back... averaged 25mpg and spent a pretty decent amount of time stuck in traffic. I would say that's no change...I've seen as high 26.5 when it was clear sailing the whole way on a long trip.

Do you have the smooth bend pipe in the bottom of your airbox then? and you have a 2.5i and got those numbers??

Archived