LegacyGT.com

Intake silencer removal walk-through

First thing I ever did to the car was remove the silencer, zero loss of performance, could hear more spooling and a bit of the BOV. I completely recommend this mod until you're able to afford a different form of intake and a tune to accompany it.

These people stating they lost power, their idle was rough, etc. I honestly don't have any idea WTF they are talking about. Sounds like much more issues then removing the silencer, you'll see once you pull it off it's really not doing much more then "silencing" the intake, but hey, if you believe you're car is going to explode from removing it, you probably shouldn't be in the market of doing any mods.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First thing I ever did to the car was remove the silencer, zero loss of performance, could hear more spooling and a bit of the BOV. I completely recommend this mod until you're able to afford a different form of intake and a tune to accompany it.

These people stating they lost power, their idle was rough, etc. I honestly don't have any idea WTF they are talking about. Sounds like much more issues then removing the silencer, you'll see once you pull it off it's really not doing much more then "silencing" the intake, but hey, if you believe you're car is going to explode from removing it, you probably shouldn't be in the market of doing any mods.

If I didn't value my time right now I would go build these parts on solidworks, and then CFD it to show the differences in airflow, which there definately are. Then, you must realize that the computer will not compensate or interpret these differences in airflow and resonance correctly, and even if you don't notice it, the car is not running as it should be. Your car won't explode, but, yeah, whatever you want to do.

This was the first mod I've performed, & thanks to COMtnBiker's excellent tutorial (thank you, brother!), I did it in about 10 minutes.

Mind you, I am but a lowly 2.5i driver as I don't have the big-bucks to spend on the GT. :mad:

I did notice much more engine sound @ mid-range RPM (4K-5K). Then I put the silencer back onboard & listened closely again @ those same RPM.

Perhaps I'm showing my age here, but I prefer the sophisticated muting of the factory set-up. The silencer is really more of a Helmholtz resonator. It seems to me that a lot of engineering went into a fine compromise between silent comfort & a sophisticated roar. If you look "downwind" of the airbox on the 2.5i, you'll see an odd protuberant chamber coming off the hose. My bet is that this is a 2nd Helmholtz resonator placed there purposefully to maximize the excellent compromise between "sssshhh" and "WOOOOSHHHH!"

But do as you will. My short take (& please forgive if I offend):

Without the silencer the sound is a cute 19 yr-old exotic dancer stripping to a raunchy Motley Crue tune: With the resonator the sound is a hot MILF librarian shooshing you while listening to AC/DC on her IPod. Take your pick. ;)

Many thanks again to COMtnBiker for making the mod easy--& with most excellent photos!

I've seen a lot of people asking for a walkthrough with photos as the one that was previously posted seems to be missing. So, I went ahead and removed mine took some pics and put it back in for the sake of the cause. I took the steps that jeepthrills (thank you for posting the steps and I hope you don't mind me using your steps. if you do, pm me and ill take it off no problem :) ) posted and simply added photos. Hope this helps those of you looking to remove the intake silencer.

It took me less than an hour to take out the silencer, take photos and then put it back in. If you are halfway decent at turning wrenches i cant see it taking more than 30 min. to complete this mod. Good luck!

Tools required: flat screwdriver, 3/8 drive ratchet,10mm socket, 8-9 inch socket extension , 10mm wrench (ratcheting is easier)

1. Remove two popits from front of airbox scoop and lift scoop out of the way. loosen clamp on intake hose between airbox and intake, at the airbox.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs022.snc1/3068_80088016178_500051178_2217847_4947880_n.jpg

2. Remove MAF wire clip

3. Open airbox clips

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs022.snc1/3068_80088021178_500051178_2217848_8361587_n.jpg

4. Wrestle the airbox half loose from the inlet hose, powersteering hose (on engine side of cover in clip)and remove airfilter.

5. Loosen 2 10mm bolts from bottom of airbox on top of frame between airbox and cylinder head (Extension used here).

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs022.snc1/3068_80088026178_500051178_2217849_6877898_n.jpg

6. Loosen 1 10mm nut from top outside corner or airbox (behind and above pass side headlamp)

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs022.snc1/3068_80088031178_500051178_2217850_1993315_n.jpg

7. Using careful lift, turn, twist, lift type technique you will be rewarded with the front half of the airbox and the wiley Snorkus.

8. [Remove] one more popit from the bottom of the airbox

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs022.snc1/3068_80088036178_500051178_2217851_5979759_n.jpg

9. Twist the Snorkus roughly 90 degrees till the "nipples" are within the tube and pull it down

10. Start back at number 7 and work backwards for reinstall of airbox.

11. Enjoy the new sound of WWOOSSHHH!

Thanks for the fantastic walk thru! I Love it!

I did this mod and at same time adjusted my headlight (Beams) Done!:)

Thanks!

As I thought about it I wondered this:

Perhaps leaving the hole where the resonator attached to the airbox open creates a warm-air intake, as the air is entering from inside the fender compartment & not from outside the car.

Does anyone know if Subaru offers an OEM "plug" for that opening in the bottom of the airbox? I think there is such a part for the WRX but not sure for the Legacy.

Try putting tape over the hole and see if that changes anything, while looking for a plug. If your performance increases (I don't know why people are having degraded performance over this mod), then your engine is getting heat soaked. If not, you may have something else going on.

Try putting tape over the hole and see if that changes anything, while looking for a plug. If your performance increases (I don't know why people are having degraded performance over this mod), then your engine is getting heat soaked. If not, you may have something else going on.

I have not noticed any issues myself.

I was just thinking theoretically about why people report performance dropping off after silencer removal. That's when I considered that the open hole where the resonator used to attach to the airbox might be taking in warm air from the fender-well, creating a pseudo-warm-air-intake & decreasing performance.

Duct tape! Can fix anything! ;)

PS--Subaru does sell an OEM resonator plug for the WRX. It is part #:

46059FA000 (for any Impreza-enthusiasts trolling these boards)

If you plug the hole, the sound pretty much goes away. The deep roaring tone comes from air being drawn in through that hole.

I don't get why people think they can tell it runs the same and doesn't lose any power. Do you all think you can feel a 5-10hp loss? Considering that's 2-4% of the rated hp, I have my doubts.

I've done substantial logging with it on and off, and my car is considerably happier with it on. My IATs are consistently lower, and my af learning ranges are all much closer to 0.

I can't really feel a difference, but it's clearly visible with constant data logging. I do prefer that deep roar myself, but not at the cost of having a warmer air intake or seeing my af learning (especially in the D range) drift over -6%

• 2 months later...
just pulled the silencer off, took about 15min. Nice deep roaring/growling now at WOT and i'll probably keep it off until i decide to get a full blown intake. When i track the car i might put it back on though, it might raise temps too much with that hole there during a full track day. But for day-to-day driving i can deal with the higher temps to get the deep whoosh sound.

• 3 months later...

My .02 is that by taking it off you are opening the system to more air being pulled in. This may confuse the MAF and make things run leaner. The last time I took my 08 in for an oil change, they didn't put the air box back together correctly and there was a gap in the bottom. I figured this out because of the extra intake noise that you all get from removing the silencer. Anyway, results seem inconsistent and trial and error seem to be the way to go. If you do it and it works for 10 years with no issues - awesome! If you get check a engine light or loose mileage - put it back or try plugging the hole. I agree that it's weird that the results are so varied. Makes me think it's the ECU learning curve that's the difference.

Great teen stripper/MILF analogy ... HA HA HA!!

Good luck all!

I think the mileage drop is mostly due to drivers accelerating harder/differently than they did before to hear all the new noises.

I know that when I removed the silencer on my FXT I accelerated harder for a while because I could better hear the turbo and intake noise.

However I don't think I'll be removing it from my new GT, I can hear enough of the recir/turbo to hold me over. The whooshing got old after a while on my last car.

• 3 months later...
would this also apply to a 2.5i? the intakes aren't any different?

I had mine off for a couple years but recently put it back - I was running rich and wasn't sure if this was the culprit. There's been research done on the 2.5i Imprezas that suggests that removal of the resonator can result in a rich condition at some throttle settings.

I didn't notice any performance gains/losses in either configuration.

• 2 weeks later...
Did it a couple weeks ago on my 05. Probably driven ~550 miles since then and it's running fine. No idle problems like I've seen people say. Better highway mileage too. Less around town of course because I'm always shifting at higher RPM's to hear the growl :)

There were obviously other differences. You think that removing a resonator got you significant gains in gas milage? Okay.. good luck with that

I didn't say significant. It was about a single MPG better. There was a cross wind both times, same tire pressure, same distance same speed, my shoes were tied the same way. I was wearing a different shirt that must've been it

yeah, must have been. Because after years of solidworks modeling, using GOOGLE (really, just google "intake resonator" and read any of the first 10 hits about what the intake resonator does BESIDES reduce noise), etc. The car is tuned to have it, and therefore removing it without somehow reprogramming the ECU is only worse, and therefore can't possibly be improving your mpg.

solidworks CFD even proves my point, after having to test airflows for formula SAE cars, and realizing how a airflow sensor has to recognize the different levels of air and how it is circulated. Do you use solidworks CFD? Do you understand an engine's tune?

yeah, must have been. Because after years of solidworks modeling, using GOOGLE (really, just google "intake resonator" and read any of the first 10 hits about what the intake resonator does BESIDES reduce noise), etc. The car is tuned to have it, and therefore removing it without somehow reprogramming the ECU is only worse, and therefore can't possibly be improving your mpg.

solidworks CFD even proves my point, after having to test airflows for formula SAE cars, and realizing how a airflow sensor has to recognize the different levels of air and how it is circulated. Do you use solidworks CFD? Do you understand an engine's tune?

Yeah I'm a mechanical engineering student so it doesn't really impress me that you use solidworks or any other modeling program. I'm also not gonna argue with you anymore because you'll just pull something else out of you're ass to belittle me. I'm telling you what I saw on my car's computer. It said 31.6 mpg. I've never gotten that high, hardly get over 30 typically to be honest. That was the only thing I changed on my car. It would really surprise me if any other factor would cause about 1-2 mpg better on a trip that's only about 160-180 miles. Wind wasn't any stronger or anything like that. So go ahead and throw out any more technical terms etc. you want. I'm basing off real life experience, not modeling and prototyping. And really removing that isn't any worse than adding a CAI if you think about it.

Archived