LegacyGT.com

Intake silencer removal walk-through

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still debating if I want to put the jug in or shove the Tide cap in.

The jug gets warmed up meaning the air in it is warm, so when sitting in traffic arguably it may still be ingesting that air since it rises up. IATs climb, power gets pulled until you get going.

It's ridiculous how high the IATs shoot up sitting in traffic in hot weather. I'm almost convinced it's only sucking air from the engine bay. In about a minute they shot up 30 degrees and still climbing. When I get to go, the car hesitates and I've had this going on ever since I pulled the jug out, now that I think about it. I've always blamed it on the tranny and shrugged it off. I'll let you know if it goes away once I either reinstall the jug or cap the hole.

If you're going to remove the silencer to get some noise.. okay. If you're going to remove it just to cap it, that I don't understand. It was designed to work with it there so just put it back. I did plenty of data logging with it in/out and it will definitely run cooler IATs with it in/plugged. IAT will still rise pretty quick when stopped but they will also cool much quicker with the full intake system intact.

I remember having a lot of debris in that jug. I figured it's much easier to take a peek inside a small cap and removing it to empty if needed. Still debating, I'll decide eventually. To me it's just a resonator and the most important thing is to not let the engine suck in warm air through the bottom hole. Therefore cap, jug, bathtub, midget holding his mouth to it, makes little difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I put the milk jug back in, here are some observations.

I should mention I have a big Perrin TMIC which appears to heatsoak more than the stocker when the car is sitting. It also sheds heat a lot faster.

Driving around/cruising intake temps haven't changed enough for me to notice. At 92 degrees outside the IAT was about 99-105 once I drove for a good bit, around town between stoplights about 110 or so.

What I have noticed is sitting at idle/stoplight/etc, the IATs don't shoot up as high and nowhere near as quick. Quite a big difference in fact.

Also, I replaced the air filter today which had 12K miles on it with the silencer removed.

What I had noticed is, and can't remember what it looked like WITH the silencer in, the bottom half was almost whistle-clean. It looked brand new. The dirt was concentrated in a round-ish pattern on the upper-half of the filter.

I've never seen the air filter be evenly dirty but I also don't recall it being THAT concentrated in one area of the filter.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
I took mine out for about a week and watched as the computer-calculated MPG fell by a little over one MPG. The car did feel torquier, but I had also added a K&N drop-in at the same time, so I'm guessing the extra low-end came from that. After reinstalling the silencer, I do think that the torque is still there. So, I'll take a guess that the K&N helped despite the loss from the removal of the silencer.

Archived