LegacyGT.com

How To: Replace/Rebuild torn CV boot and/or Axle

Yes, *Original* stock turbo, and a Subie stock up pipe from a STI. And as noted, there are others who have higher mileage on stock, although mine is a '06. I doubt that is any sort of a record.

SBT can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there are not that many at all above 150000 with original everything.

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Help!

I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread but replaced the whole axle. I now have a side to side wobble in the manual shifter. It wobbles worst around 35mph in 4th. But it wobbles in 2-5 noticeably.

Car: 2008 Outback XT 5sp manual. ~67,000 miles.

Replaced passenger side axle with this part:

http://cardone.com/English/club/members/customer/ecat_brands/imageinfo.asp?PARTNUM=66-7355

Purchased part from Rockauto.com.

Any ideas about the shifter vibration?

Thanks!

Jeff

Yes - the original instructions said the transmission side should go in with a satisfying clunk (or some similar description). It absolutely did. And I got under, looked up and visually verified it was seated.

I torqued the nut to 140 ft lbs.

The vibration only happens when i'm on the throttle. Lift my foot and it diminishes greatly.

I purchased 2 axles as I figured the left side would go eventually. I'm going to switch it out this weekend and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll probably replace the right side so I can guarantee I have two of the same parts on each side that are equal lengths.

If that doesn't work, Rock Auto will take them back on warranty and I start over with another part. I'd hate to spend the $$ on Subi parts.

Thanks,

Jeff

^Something is not right certainly. Did you by any chance do anything to your strut (unbolt anything that didn't get re-bolted correctly)? Keep us posted.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yes - the original instructions said the transmission side should go in with a satisfying clunk (or some similar description). It absolutely did. And I got under, looked up and visually verified it was seated.

I torqued the nut to 140 ft lbs.

The vibration only happens when i'm on the throttle. Lift my foot and it diminishes greatly.

I purchased 2 axles as I figured the left side would go eventually. I'm going to switch it out this weekend and see if that makes a difference. If not, I'll probably replace the right side so I can guarantee I have two of the same parts on each side that are equal lengths.

If that doesn't work, Rock Auto will take them back on warranty and I start over with another part. I'd hate to spend the $$ on Subi parts.

Thanks,

Jeff

I installed a 100% new $80.00 axle from Advance Auto Parts and have had no problems, you don't need to buy OEM.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Replaced one new axle for the one that was causing a vibration at 35mph. That vibration is gone. But it is replaced by more severe shudder that can be felt in the seat while accelerating in 1st and 2nd. The other part didn't cause vibration I could feel with my butt - just my hand through the shifter.

Going to look for a new source for this part. Advance Auto wants 99.99 for the part - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_CV-Axle-Assembly-GSP_10051717-P_945_R|GRP60007_1601318394____

My local stealer wants $250 plus a $40 core charge.

Anyone have suggestions on a good source for this part?

• 3 months later...

Alright, since i couldn't find how to do this anywhere online i will include all of the search terms i tried... so someone else in my situation can find this.

TO REMOVE THE OUTER CV JOINT:

There is a splined section with a snap ring on it. Take the half shaft out, clamp the shaft in a vice, and use a large socket extension (3/4" is nice) and smack it with a large hammer a few times.

You won't be able to find a large snap ring like inner CV, because there's isn't one there!

there was a retaining pin on my 94 legacy... PITA

Here's how I lined up that pesky pin. I know it doesn't like to go back in.

I tapped a bundle of round, tapered toothpicks into the hole. This holds the pin holes in perfect alignment. Then I just tapped the pin right in. The toothpicks all came out and the pin went right in. It was easy.:)

• 2 weeks later...

quick question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. which axle is the right one to buy? http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/2006/subaru/legacy/cv_axle/cv_front_axle_shaft.html?3593=81609

i scanned through 15 pages (at work and don;t have time to go over the last 6) and all the old ebay links seem to be dead. any help is greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to this writeup, I now have a new Beck/Arnley cv boot kit from Advance Auto installed on my ride.

Saved me $340. I don't count tools as an expense :p

BTW, if you are in a bind, you can use duct tape successfully. I packed mine with grease and changed out the duct tape every couple days and it survived about 500 miles with ample original grease packed with the bearings.

Sorry to hear that. Since 1974 I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a CV boot torn on a Subaru rear axle, even high-mileage ones. They just don't tear/wear unless someone scrapes/cuts it and breaks it open.

the fronts, on the other hand...

Yeah - those are a crap-shoot - luck of the draw, item. Think I'll just replace the whole axle up front from now on.

Bought a brand new EMPI 80-5531 front axle from Midwest-Autoparts on ebay for 64.24 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPI-80-5531-CV-Half-Shaft-Assembly-/220891073356?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item336e224b4c

Shipped day after purchase.. looks good. Getting installed Thursday with my new CM FX300 clutch and WRX/LGT SMFW.

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPI-80-5531-CV-Half-Shaft-Assembly-/220891073356?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item336e224b4c][/url]

Bought a brand new EMPI 80-5531 front axle from Midwest-Autoparts on ebay for 64.24 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPI-80-5531-CV-Half-Shaft-Assembly-/220891073356?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item336e224b4c

Shipped day after purchase.. looks good. Getting installed Thursday with my new CM FX300 clutch and WRX/LGT SMFW.

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMPI-80-5531-CV-Half-Shaft-Assembly-/220891073356?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item336e224b4c][/url]

hmm, I had just planned on picking up a reman one at autozone, but maybe this is better since I won't have to bring anything back...