LegacyGT.com

How To: Replace/Rebuild torn CV boot and/or Axle

Yeah.. this was the cheapest I could find.. and not having to deal with a core exchange made it all that much better.

I just pray that I got a good one that doesn't vibrate or click. Seems these knockoffs can be hit or miss, but EMPI seems to be the top knockoff so hopefully ill be ok. Does say "MADE IN CHINA" right on the box though.

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.. this was the cheapest I could find.. and not having to deal with a core exchange made it all that much better.

I just pray that I got a good one that doesn't vibrate or click. Seems these knockoffs can be hit or miss, but EMPI seems to be the top knockoff so hopefully ill be ok. Does say "MADE IN CHINA" right on the box though.

I think I'm gonna stick with Autozone. At least that way if something goes wrong, I can go somewhere and yell at somebody (and make sure they follow through on the limited lifetime warranty they advertise).

I looked at it from both angles.. buy a better made part (hopefully) and do the job once.. or pay for a lower end part (probably) and maybe have to do it more than once. Would be nice if EMPI had a local reseller. IF they do, I couldnt find one in my limited search.

Had my EMPI 80-5531 installed yesterday along side my new clutch and I think everything is ok. I have a every so slight vibration under acceleration but nothing while coasting or slowing down. Not sure to attribute that to the new clutch or the axle quite yet. Only have driven 30 miles so far so time will tell.

Anybody think its necessary to get an alignment after an axle swap? Does it depend on the method used to get the axle out? Hoping the slight vibration I feel under acceleration needs an alignment vs another axle.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Tapatalk.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a shop rebuild one of my front half-axles after noting a torn boot. Next time I checked the transmission oil, it was about 1/3 of a quart low. I've never noted any leakage before and haven't noticed any since. I asked the shop if tranny oil could be lost when doing this work, and they said no, maybe you should bring it in and we'll check for leaks.

I think I know the answer from this thread, but I want to verify that it *is* possible for some transmission oil to leak out when R&R'ing the half-axle. This is pretty disappointing, because I've always liked the shop and it has an excellent rep. I don't think it's that bad that they forgot to top off the transmission oil (although how could they not notice that amount of leakage ?, kinda a mess), but I really don't like that apparently they lied about it. Thanks.

It does not leak out when changing one. But, if a seal was damaged that would cause the leak. It is easy enough to damage a seal while removing or reinstalling the axle. Seals are cheap. We replace them with the half shaft. If you actually paid for a rebiuld, you probably paid too much. No way can I rebuild two CV's (inner and outer) for the same price I can sell you a rebuilt for.

It does not leak out when changing one. But, if a seal was damaged that would cause the leak. It is easy enough to damage a seal while removing or reinstalling the axle. Seals are cheap. We replace them with the half shaft. If you actually paid for a rebiuld, you probably paid too much. No way can I rebuild two CV's (inner and outer) for the same price I can sell you a rebuilt for.

Hmm, I don't thin it's leaked any since the work was done.

I thought earlier in this thread there was some talk of some oil leaking out if you don't jack up the side of the car (that you're working on) up far enough. I'd check, but the thread's kinda gigantic ...

I have used plenty of the Autozone reman units. No issues. The issues were when auto parts stores had not yet updated their systems (a few years back) and were inadvertently selling the incorrect axles. They fit but are out of balance, etc. Today, they are car specific. Orielly's does not sell 05-09 LGT, but Autozone does (for example).

Trans fluid does leak out if the hole is not plugged or raised. It's not going to come gushing out, but will leak a little bit. I don't think 1/3 a quart though. Maybe 1/3 a cup.

Damn, it's a mystery then I guess. I check it every month and it's always been fine, and it was that low after the axle rebuild. Seems not to be leaking now, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the input, and I guess I won't lose trust in the shop.

There's probably nothing wrong with it. My guess is the level was off by the amount that came out. The trans dipstick is somewhat hard to read and probably has a lot of variance with the amount of fluid.

Nope. I'm pretty anal about checking the fluids once a month, and I park the car in a specific place when I do it (so the level is the same). I also leave the dipstick out for a few minutes (the same as you need to do with the engine oil dipstick) before re-inserting it to take the reading.

Quoted $325, then offered 15% off so $277.

I called SoA to see about getting it covered since the car was Certified when I bought it. I figured, what the hell? Give it a shot.

The wording in the book says the following are covered, "...all internal parts, ... constant velocity joints, ... seals and gaskets." Can someone explain to me how CV boots don't act as seals?

Waiting to hear the bad news.

I think what I'll do is pick up an Autozone reman shaft and a boot kit from Rock Auto. Install the reman and do the boot swap on the OEM. That way, when the reman one fails I'll have one on hand to swap back in.

Update: Got a call from the owner of the dealer who told me SoA agreed to cover it as goodwill. So YMMV.

Edited by landark

• 2 months later...