LegacyGT.com

Valuing Performance Mods For Car Sale

I'm planning on selling my '06 Leggy GT Ltd Wagon soon. It has about $9k in performance parts from wheels, to coilovers, to Accessport to intercooler, etc. It has about $2k in stereo and built in Blinder. It has about $1600k in front and rear spoilers painted to match the car. How do you figure out the value of all these aftermarket parts when figuring out the price for the car? Should labor be taken into account?

Thanks!

Car has just under 70k on it. The mods will be worth something to someone who wants that car with those mods. I'll post it here for starters. Not interested in selling to Jane Blow who just wants to tote the kids around.

Sadly you really can't expect anything at all. You can try to sell it as a custom car. maybe go kbb + 3000. I've bought a couple of very tuned/ upgraded cars for less than kbb "excellent". Good luck, but I wouldn't pay anything extra.

I think your best options are:

1) Offer to sell it for book + half cost of mods, and expect it to take a looong time to sell. Most people won't be interested in paying extra for mods, but you might get lucky one day.

2) Keep driving it and enjoying it.

3) Part out.

Note that you can do 1 and 2 at the same time. :)

I'm just saying your not going to get near what you want if you keep them on the car.

He's right. I've sold modified vehicles before, even to enthusiasts. Your best bet is parting out the vehicle.

G.T.Subie: I notice you have a V8 S4. It’s quite a great vehicle. Before I bought my Subaru, I owned a GTI and worked for a VW/Audi performance shop. When it came time for AWD, I had my heart set on a V8 S4. I looked at a 2007 as I didn’t want to spend the money on a new one. In the end I decided on the spec.B. That's the only buyers remorse I have, is not buying the S4. How do you like it? I feel in love with the one I drove, I just couldn’t justify buying a used car.

He's right. I've sold modified vehicles before, even to enthusiasts. Your best bet is parting out the vehicle.

G.T.Subie: I notice you have a V8 S4. It’s quite a great vehicle. Before I bought my Subaru, I owned a GTI and worked for a VW/Audi performance shop. When it came time for AWD, I had my heart set on a V8 S4. I looked at a 2007 as I didn’t want to spend the money on a new one. In the end I decided on the spec.B. That's the only buyers remorse I have, is not buying the S4. How do you like it? I feel in love with the one I drove, I just couldn’t justify buying a used car.

Been great so far , I got it in November. The price was decent and I always liked the B6's. The gas is a bit of a pain but notihing i can't forget about :)

Denial is your best friend

You might be able to find someone to buy it as is. Most of the time you can get back 50% of the new retail price for your used parts. I don't know how that translates into the price of the car when they are still insalled.
Let's kick this pig!

Sounds like you have great mods that would be in demand.

Strip the car, take it back to stock and sell off the mods on this forum. If the prices are right, they'll sell quick.

If you feel you have at least 12K in mods to sell, they'd probably go for 6K easy and quickly.

I don't know anyone who has ever made money on mods or selling off a modded car.

Then you have a chance to get fair market value for a 70K mile Ltd LGT.

I'm planning on selling my '06 Leggy GT Ltd Wagon soon. It has about $9k in performance parts from wheels, to coilovers, to Accessport to intercooler, etc. It has about $2k in stereo and built in Blinder. It has about $1600k in front and rear spoilers painted to match the car. How do you figure out the value of all these aftermarket parts when figuring out the price for the car? Should labor be taken into account?

Thanks!

The rule of thumb is that mods decrease the value of the car by their value. That's why people strip everything they can before selling. But you never know. 70K is kind of a lot of miles so you will probably be pretty unhappy with what is offered. The car market is incredibly weak right now and there are many desperate sellers.

The Wall Street Journal...Years of no-money-down car loans followed by sinking home values and rising unemployment has made many people desperate over car payments they can no longer afford. For some, the answer is to ditch the car, report it stolen and collect the insurance money to pay it off without hurting their credit.

Authorities report a growing number of cars dumped in the Great Lakes, burned along remote New Jersey roadsides and driven into canals in California. The phenomenon is acute in Las Vegas, where sharp declines in tourism and construction have left thousands of workers unemployed and broke.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

mods usually decrease the value of a car. If you have small mods that arent really noticable or mods that the dealer (if you're doing a trade) cant TELL are mods.. they may not reduce the value, however for the most part mods will have 0 positive effects.

I know I live in the land of the lifted chevy.. and when I see a 2001 for sale for $20k.. all I can do is roll my eyes.

mods reduce value by narrowing the market of people willing to buy, a lot of people (such as myself) will not buy a car with any performance mods because we do not know if it was done properly, it shows the car MAY have been abused, and means I will have to do specialized work to the vehicle outside of the OEM service range.. and if I'm buying a used car. I may not be all that familiar with that particular model and therefore not inclined to buy it because of it.

imo.. try asking 5-10k more than kbb if you have substantial mods.. BUT.. include a little write-up in the manual with what the mods are and any and all manuals that you may have.. this would help negate the market shrinkage caused by said mods.

I know about 6 years ago I sold a vehicle for $2k more than kbb valued it with well over $2k in mods (but they were only visual) but it took a very long time to do because of them.

not trying to be critical with any of this.. I hope it helps.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Man my eyes keep wandering on the b5 s4 ahh something about that 2.7tt just makes me smile. It would just take to long to sell the leggy or I would lose alot. Maybe as a second car/ toy car of course but then I would have to put on gt28rs's and then that would be a real fun car to drive:lol:. OP best off parting out but if you don't wanna then take Kbb + $3000 and pray!

Was that last post a hint for the OP? :confused::eek:
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

If he doesn't part it out, best bet is to find some old guy with some $$ who wants a customized car but doesn't want to do the work. Problem is they'll be looking for one with low miles.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

If you want to sell the entire car, you're going to take a loss for all the parts. If you kept all the stock parts, and you have some free time, put them all back on and sell out he performance parts... You can probably leave the engine the way it is as a "Bonus" to potential buyers, but don't expect to get much for them. You can't sell a $15K car with $20K mods for $35K... It will just never happen. The buyer would wind up paying retail and then some for the aftermarket parts that already have wear and tear on them, which won't happen.

Archived