LegacyGT.com

IPT Valve Body

fishbone

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not spared the proverbial rod by any stretch of imagination. I think the car has been driven spirited enough so far to be able to draw a pretty good conclusion. It has gone through datalogging this summer in 98 degree weather. I have torque launched it about 3 times at 3K rpms. I have not timed it but i am absolutely confident I can now hit 60 in under 5 seconds. I am just too much of a wuss and care too much about the drivetrain to torque brake more often. Not to mention there isn't a real reason to. Even if the torque converter can take it, which it should since the stall speed is 3200, I'm not so sure about the rest of the drivetrain. Cracking open the rear diff or stripping gears is no fun. I'll come back with an update in another 10K miles or so ;)

I hope this isn't TC'ing, but in 2 weeks, along with, well, the rest of the car really, I'll be putting the LGT and the IPT VB through its paces in a 2-day HPDE event for the first time ever. Barring unforeseen circumstances even though this disclaimer usually jinxes me*, I'll be attending a 2-day weekend-long HPDE at Sears Point. After I'm done, I'll report my feedback regarding my impressions of the IPT VB's performance to this thread (if it's OK) and to the floating VB thread.

Having driven this course before, I know it requires a good amount of shifting. Plus, since I'm sharing the LGT with my brother (his first HPDE experience), there's gonna be a good amount of wear on my car as it'll be doing double-duty. 800 miles roundtrip just to get to the course, and 400 grueling miles on the track alone.

Currently, the LGT has Infamous1's Stage 1 road tune. Now, I'm debating whether it should go Stage 2 before or after the HPDE...

*The night before one Sears Point weekend, I crashed my " ol' " E46 M3. Another night before another Sears Point weekend, I shredded my right rear tire, which, well, it's a long story, but at least I ended up going through with Sears Point...

issai - a 2 day session is great...sears is a great track too..spent many hpde's there.

no reason to go stage 2 right now...more power won't do anything for you but great driving will.

when i was on track with mine w/ modded VB, I didn't really have time to notice it, too concentrated on the track. You'll notice fast shifting due to the VB as you likely do now, but you're far to concerned about other factors going on to really notice it every shift.

enjoy and be safe!

Hey atc5, thanks for the advice. My consideration for going Stage 2 prior to Sears Point is the same initial motivation to go Stage 2-- the panic and paranoia about the UP's cat breaking up.

I'm just wondering if my fear of the UP cat's disintegration while trying to rack up 1500 miles in 1 weekend is irrational or justified. :p

As for the IPT VB, I'm really looking forward to putting it through its paces, and its responsiveness @ Sears Point. It'll be quite interesting to compare the experience with what I remember of the M3's SMG-II tranny.

+1. The newer LGTs don't have cats in the UP anyways, so I'd either gut the stocker or pick up a cheap catless aftermarket pipe. Mare sure you remember to get rid of the sensor in it as well and plug the hole and do the resistor mod to avoid CELs. Those sensors run the risk of disintegrating and being ingested by the turbo as well.

I've got an STi UP and Invidia catted DP on the ready, and having a local reputable shop do the install for me. I'll mention these tidbits to him. Is the resister mod still necessary even after mapping the ECU for Stage 2?

I've got an STi UP and Invidia catted DP on the ready, and having a local reputable shop do the install for me. I'll mention these tidbits to him. Is the resister mod still necessary even after mapping the ECU for Stage 2?

To expand, a Cobb AP can clear the CEL permanently. An Open Source tune can turn off that specific CEL. So basically, no you don't need it.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I have a question for you guys. I am looking at getting a gt with 100k on it and if i get it do ya'll suggest doing the VB mod just based on the high mileage? Also, I looked at other places that do this kinda mod and there is a company called Level10 that does it for like 600 buck rather than 800 has any one gone through this company?

I have a question for you guys. I am looking at getting a gt with 100k on it and if i get it do ya'll suggest doing the VB mod just based on the high mileage? Also, I looked at other places that do this kinda mod and there is a company called Level10 that does it for like 600 buck rather than 800 has any one gone through this company?

Questions answered in other threads on this forum. But to make your life easier:

1. No, not based on mileage, does not matter in the slightest. Do it if you get a very good feeling that your trans can't or hasn't handled you or your power level or that of the last driver(s) very well, or if you like paying big money for improved shifting if you're going to stay stock.
  2. Level 10 doesn't have the experience on the 5eat that IPT does. They do on the 4eat, but very negative things have been said about their products over on NASIOC...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• 2 weeks later...

Back from racking some soul-wrenching 400 miles @ Sears Point this weekend @ a BMW CCA event. Wagon is totally stock, save for Infamous's tune, and an STi UP.

The IPT VB performed marvelously! The wagon was mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear. No TC slipping and gear engagement felt snappy and stout. The 5EAT's shifts felt maybe a *hair* slower than an E46 M3's SMG-II. Not once did I ever feel frustrated being in the wrong gear, or the 5EAT reacting slower than I'd preferred. Understanding the pro's and con's of the 5EAT, I can dare say it slightly exceeded my expectations.

Can't say for the other aspects of the car, though. Then again, LGT wagons were probably not purpose-built for track.

Back from racking some soul-wrenching 400 miles @ Sears Point this weekend @ a BMW CCA event. Wagon is totally stock, save for Infamous's tune, and an STi UP.

The IPT VB performed marvelously! The wagon was mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear. No TC slipping and gear engagement felt snappy and stout. The 5EAT's shifts felt maybe a *hair* slower than an E46 M3's SMG-II. Not once did I ever feel frustrated being in the wrong gear, or the 5EAT reacting slower than I'd preferred. Understanding the pro's and con's of the 5EAT, I can dare say it slightly exceeded my expectations.

Can't say for the other aspects of the car, though. Then again, LGT wagons were probably not purpose-built for track.

issai, while your tranny is different (08-09 vs 05-07), Do you notice slow shifts from 1st to 2nd? My shifts in my 08 5eat+IPT all seem crisp, except for 1-2, as I can bounce off the revlimiter if I floor it and don't hit the paddle shifter at 4500RPM.

Get some coilovers, sways and good rubber and you'll be annihilating E46 M3s...

issai, while your tranny is different (08-09 vs 05-07), Do you notice slow shifts from 1st to 2nd? My shifts in my 08 5eat+IPT all seem crisp, except for 1-2, as I can bounce off the revlimiter if I floor it and don't hit the paddle shifter at 4500RPM.

Mine's an '05. Shooting out of the hot pit and into Turn 1 @ WOT, I shifted from 1-2 near 6000 rpm and thankfully I never hit the rev limiter. Shift was prompt, with only a slight pause between pressing the "+" button to the actual upshift.

Upshifting @ 4500rpm seems a *taaad* low to bounce off the rev limiter. Maybe a call to IPT will help?

Get some coilovers, sways and good rubber and you'll be annihilating E46 M3s...

Definitely thinking about these options I'm also curious about ways of somehow offsetting the front-heaviness of the LGT's, and hopefully suspension and tires is the right direction. My newly installed rubbers seemed underperforming and wrongly-sized for track, as the outside of the front-left tire got chunked up pretty nicely. I think existing suspension threads offer ways to reduce the frontal weight transfer effect during braking.

Speaking of braking, the two main points which were most worrisome and most pleasantly surprising were the IPT VB and the front Endless SSM's which I swapped in about a week ago. I'll heap praise on the Endless SSM's in a more relevant braking thread. :)

Definitely thinking about these options I'm also curious about ways of somehow offsetting the front-heaviness of the LGT's, and hopefully suspension and tires is the right direction.

Antigravity??? Unless you want to do weight reduction (which happens in the back as well), suspension ftw. Trust me as well, it fixes everything. I am even noticing I have more energy after lunch.

Y'know ... if I shift from 2nd to 3rd at full boost under load somewhere between 2800-3600 with the pedal to the floor, it still uprevs 400rpms. I need to work on convincing myself it's completely normal (which it is). The tranny mount makes everything the tranny does very obvious. I can now get it to bite into 3rd so hard sometimes that you can feel the dash shudder. It's badass. Just shift under 2600rpms or so under light throttle. It can only be done in manual mode and you basically do a premature upshift, if that makes sense. I do it every now and then to reassure myself :D

hmm i feel like 1st gear is slipping. but it only happens in "Sport Auto" mode....if i shift while going hard in 1st in manual mode it goes to 2nd no problem, but if i give it some gas in first (not full pedal, maybe 50%-75%) it'll get to whatever RPM that pedal level gets me and sit there for a sec....i end up backing off on the pedal because i'm worrying its slipping. :confused:

might be time for IPT...

Antigravity??? Unless you want to do weight reduction (which happens in the back as well), suspension ftw. Trust me as well, it fixes everything. I am even noticing I have more energy after lunch.

Maybe it's time I start shopping for a new car :p

I wouldn't mind doing weight reduction, but I think I'm being plagued by weight transfer issues more. And extreme car handling compliance. This is a very unfair comparison and a very obvious statement, but an E46 M3 feels far more compliant than an '05 LGT wagon on Infineon. They weigh the same, but obviously both cars are set up very differently. Maybe suspension and tires could be the answers to make the LGT meet halfway with the M3? If I can do that for a few thousand $$ more with a long-lasting, durable solution w/ minimal downtime, then I'll take the plunge.

Otherwise, that was the last track the LGT wagon will see.

Y'know ... if I shift from 2nd to 3rd at full boost under load somewhere between 2800-3600 with the pedal to the floor, it still uprevs 400rpms. I need to work on convincing myself it's completely normal (which it is). The tranny mount makes everything the tranny does very obvious. I can now get it to bite into 3rd so hard sometimes that you can feel the dash shudder. It's badass. Just shift under 2600rpms or so under light throttle. It can only be done in manual mode and you basically do a premature upshift, if that makes sense. I do it every now and then to reassure myself :D

Oh I can easily replicate that. Be in sport-manual mode in 1st gear. Get on gas. Issue command to change into 2nd. Right when the 5EAT changes into 2nd, immediately let go of gas. Get rewarded with a nice, back-slapping surprise!

hmm i feel like 1st gear is slipping. but it only happens in "Sport Auto" mode....if i shift while going hard in 1st in manual mode it goes to 2nd no problem, but if i give it some gas in first (not full pedal, maybe 50%-75%) it'll get to whatever RPM that pedal level gets me and sit there for a sec....i end up backing off on the pedal because i'm worrying its slipping. :confused:

might be time for IPT...

Not slipping. The tranny is holding revs like it should, especially in Sport mode. When you hold the throttle steady, it holds the revs awaiting input. You either floor it or let off and the trany will act accordingly

Archived